The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

22 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I can’t help but wonder if these latest allegations and the suspension of Sean King pushes DCI closer to suspending the corps for the season. I’ve been an advocate for allowing them to march this season, but slowly changing my mind. Just when you think this story can’t get any worse, it does. 

Thoughts?

The suspension of Sean King shows that the new board of YEA is taking DCI's directives seriously. As long as they continue to do so, they should be allowed to participate this summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm rested.  I'm ready.  Give me a call.  But fair warning:  Under my tutelage we are gonna ramp WAY DOWN on the amps, electronics.  Oh, and, we'll be doing something with NOOOO VOICE, like the entire show.  

Right 'cause that's what's really important right now.

/rollseyes

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Right 'cause that's what's really important right now.

/rollseyes

annnd you think I'm being serious?  Yeah this is a heavy subject, sorry I tried for a little moment of comic relief.  Even Shakespeare did that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyle B said:

SOOOOoooo what your saying is you have no proof, you want me to read not only between the lines, but look for invisible ink between the lines.

Got it.  

What kind of base is the invisible ink so I know how to get it to appear.

so, are we talking Blue Devil ink here or Mandarin Ink???

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

annnd you think I'm being serious?  Yeah this is a heavy subject, sorry I tried for a little moment of comic relief.  Even Shakespeare did that.

I thought you were just offering up a little levity.  

• Like 3

I think DCI is better with the Cadets involved and want to see them on the field this year. That said, we’re a month away from spring training. The organization is fighting an uphill battle right now, and You have to wonder how all of this is effecting their ability to plan a FB execute a successful summer tour. Yes, I want the kids to have a great experience, but in my experience running a youth organization, this kind of situation makes things 10 times more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

I can’t help but wonder if these latest allegations and the suspension of Sean King pushes DCI closer to suspending the corps for the season. I’ve been an advocate for allowing them to march this season, but slowly changing my mind. Just when you think this story can’t get any worse, it does. 

Thoughts?

Well, the simple answer to your question here is... " nobody knows ". This is because anyone that states with any degree of certainty is doing so without knowing lots of variables that are frankly unknowable by anyone at this point. For example, nobody knows if there is another shoe to drop at the Cadets, regarding other alleged victims. Nobody here knows what Dan Acheson will find when he goes inside the Cadets  and looks at the Corps financials, budget, revenues and so forth, and whether or not the Corps can put together all the requirements necessary in a compliance manner in the short time frame prescribed by Dan and his DCI  BOD.  The unexpected suspension of Sean King today is a good example of a previously unknowable occurance effecting the DCI Probation and the terms imposed on the Cadets by DCI. Sean King was to be the go to Person at YEA for DCI to monitor with Dan Acheson the terms of their attempting to get into compliance with DCI's rules and procedures. Thats changed and now another YEA person will need to be replace Sean King. Lots of moving parts there in Allentown, with people in authority coming and going the last 2 weeks. Everybody throughout Drum Corps obviously is hopeful the Cadets can satisfy the requirements needed to proceed onto the Corps busses soon to head out across  the country to California for the Corps first competition in June. But DCI has a fiduciary duty to the best interests of DCI to be certain the Corps is in compliance, and there are no loose ends, and the marchers are in a Corps that is safe, secure, and stable. While everyone is hopeful this will turn out to be the case,  the suspension of Sean King at YEA, and the resignation of the Corps Director of Cadets2,  both within the last day or so, should give us pause if the Corps can become what DCI requires it to become, when move ins are only a few weeks away, and then the start of the competition season less than a month after that. The timing of this is not good at all... but of course the former YEA BOD is responsible for that, with its failure to promptly notify DCI of these allegations with George Hopkins as required by DCI policy.   DCI is under no obligation here to rush things with the Cadets. DCI's primary duties are to provide a stable DCI, and to advance the interests/ brand and the reputation of DCI, and see to it that marchers in all its membership Corps are in a safe and stable Drum Corps. The time issue is the fault of YEA. Its up to YEA now to produce what is mandated by DCI in the little time they have to demonstrate to DCI that the Corps is in stable enough condition organizationally, financially, and safety of marchers and staffers wise, to head out on the Corps busses to California in early June.. DCI is probably not going to allow any of its Corps to perform in any shows this season unless it believes its member Corps are in full compliance with DCI policies. All we know for certain at the moment here in April is that the Cadets are on probation at the moment for being determined by DCI and its BOD to be in a current state of non compliance.  Where this goes from here is really unknowable it would seem to me, as these are unprecedented circumstances that DCI is tasked with overseeing now..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Thoughts?

Since there is no precedent, it’s hard to predict. We know other corps could face a similar situation, if you suspend one corps, you have to do the same to others. DCI has to have a clear policy before taking such drastic action. You also have to remember you would be punishing the kids for actions that in some cases happened before they were born. I do think the corps needs a radical restructuring and outside help, as I’ve said before, because I think things can get worse. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Thoughts?

Wanna bet if that happens, it spreads to other corps/bands/ guards/ percussion / sound sports programs. Not with their own issues but what their people might have known.. There can be innocent as well as those who may have known something. Casualties, even innocent will get killed in the court of public opinion. Sad, there can be more victims than the obvious.

• Thanks 1