The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A bit of concern after you posted that the corps has debt, and no emergency fund.  Your attempts to reassure are backfiring.  But that does not dampen my hopes for a successful 2018 and future for the corps (plural).

Due to current circumstances, they may have the best de facto emergency fund ever.  Of course if there are lawsuits it could still be outpaced by actual emergencies.

Edited by skevinp

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/222052456/201723189349305587/IRS990

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks like their net assets are around 400k with 500k of that being equipment.

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

1 minute ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

The initial Inquirer article about the allegations listed a similar figure.

That's on the high side for a non-profit of YEA's overall budget size, in my opinion, but not out of bounds.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's on the high side for a non-profit of YEA's overall budget size, in my opinion, but not out of bounds.

Hmm. Checking that 990, I see YEA's budget is smaller than I thought. Just $5.5 million? So that does make $176,000 seem pretty high, at least relative to some arts organizations around here, even after factoring in the cost-of-living difference between cities.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Same could be said about all the long term member corps. What else ya got?

and i've long said it should at least be bi-annual review

52 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A bit of concern after you posted that the corps has debt, and no emergency fund.  Your attempts to reassure are backfiring.  But that does not dampen my hopes for a successful 2018 and future for the corps (plural).

well in recent days, many estranged alumni have opened their wallets in ways the corps hasn't seen in decades

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

may also include judging income. plus the company car i hope they got back

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Due to current circumstances, they may have the best de facto emergency fund ever.  Of course if there are lawsuits it could still be outpaced by actual emergencies.

Could you please elaborate on what exactly "de facto emergency fund" means.

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Hmm. Checking that 990, I see YEA's budget is smaller than I thought. Just $5.5 million? So that does make $176,000 seem pretty high, at least relative to some arts organizations around here, even after factoring in the cost-of-living difference between cities.

Not really... there are several folks running similar sized non-profits making north of that (with all required reporting items). It may be high from DCI corps (or not) but not many have the diversity of programs they are running at YEA.