The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

Could you please elaborate on what exactly "de facto emergency fund" means.

What I suspect is a very large number of people ready and willing to donate generously to their cause due to concern for the impact of recent events on the corps, and especially on the marching members 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldBones said:

DCI will not only look at Cadets but also will want to see the books for US bands, Cadets 2, and his Dance Program. This is to ensure none of the other programs will not be hurting Cadets in the future. All programs must have a solid business plan, a 3 and 5 year growth plan and a solid plan to relieve the debt all programs may have.

Is this based on speculation or has DCI specifically said this?

People have mentioned liability insurance would cover any lawsuits. I don't know what kind of insurance they carry, but EPLI (Employment Practices Liability Insurance) will typical cover harassment, but it usually excludes any physical acts. That threat is going to loom over the business decisions for the next several years. And not only lawsuits from victims, looking at Glassdoor "reviews" there are a ton of ex-employees that are potential lawsuits.

41 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The initial Inquirer article about the allegations listed a similar figure.

That's on the high side for a non-profit of YEA's overall budget size, in my opinion, but not out of bounds.

This is pretty similar to what Eric Martin at Music for All (BOA) makes.

1 minute ago, cybersnyder said:

People have mentioned liability insurance would cover any lawsuits. I don't know what kind of insurance they carry, but EPLI (Employment Practices Liability Insurance) will typical cover harassment, but it usually excludes any physical acts. That threat is going to loom over the business decisions for the next several years. And not only lawsuits from victims, looking at Glassdoor "reviews" there are a ton of ex-employees that are potential lawsuits.

Naive question here: if YEA disbanded and another entity took over the Cadets, would it insulate the corps from liability for the things that happened under YEA?

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm rested.  I'm ready.  Give me a call.  But fair warning:  Under my tutelage we are gonna ramp WAY DOWN on the amps, electronics.  Oh, and, we'll be doing something with NOOOO VOICE, like the entire show.  

Make Amplification Go Away ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Naive question here: if YEA disbanded and another entity took over the Cadets, would it insulate the corps from liability for the things that happened under YEA?

I've wondered the same thing. Or if YEA decides to cease operations, declare bankruptcy or whatever - would the Cadets be considered an asset or free to emerge from the fire on their own? Instruments, vehicles and such would be a YEA asset, so they would truly start from scratch. That would be a heck of a fundraiser.

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Both Rich’s were judging KIDA Championships Sunday 

Rich H. is still listed as judging for MAPS Finals this Saturday as well. That was already an interesting topic BEFORE all this Cadets stuff happened, but now...