The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

Man and all I got was this lousy T-shirt :lle:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

So for the Cadets opener Sounds of Silence we have the visual the entire corps dressed as YEA Office Staff radiating out in a circle with all their backs to the empty doughnut-hole spot in the center where we see a short looking bigfoot, file cabinet and an intern.

Now shut your mouth, close your eyes and think of YEA

It’s completely tone deaf, as are all of these promises of best summer of your life, Cadets top 5, haters going to hate.

Some of the priorities here are way messed up

??? uh ok

21 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Whether a corps owns a name came up in discussions about five years ago and the discussion centered around whether a new corps called 27th Lancers. The arguments in favor claimed that where 27th Lancers are a British army unit and a mentioned in the Tennyson poem, it would be in the public domain. Others claimed where it was the 27th Lancers drum and bugle corps, it was trade marked and could not be used.

Where Cadets is not that unique a name, YEA would not own the rights, though this might not be the case if Garfield, Bergen County, or Allentown were attached. 

If it ever came to this, it would be a matter for lawyers.

I'm almost completely certain that "The Cadets" as a drum corps entity and as a brand is completely owned by YEA, including the name, rights, assets, debts, etc.

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not really... there are several folks running similar sized non-profits making north of that (with all required reporting items). It may be high from DCI corps (or not) but not many have the diversity of programs they are running at YEA.

OK, thanks for that observation. I don't know what's appropriate in drum corps. In my field, leaders at organizations with budgets about twice as large as YEA's are making less than Hopkins did.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Whether a corps owns a name came up in discussions about five years ago and the discussion centered around whether a new corps called 27th Lancers. The arguments in favor claimed that where 27th Lancers are a British army unit and a mentioned in the Tennyson poem, it would be in the public domain. Others claimed where it was the 27th Lancers drum and bugle corps, it was trade marked and could not be used.

Where Cadets is not that unique a name, YEA would not own the rights, though this might not be the case if Garfield, Bergen County, or Allentown were attached. 

Unless they transferred the rights to some other entity that survives, though, it seems no one is left with a legal basis for stopping them.

32 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Just a guess, but if she has any sense of right from wrong -- and I have heard she is outstanding as a teacher and designer for guard -- that she has likely said goodbye to Hoppy. Maybe she will stand by him until further proof comes out, IDK.

In summary, we have no idea. :3_grin:

I have spent some time just thinking about what this means not just to The Cadets, but DCI as a whole. 

A good example of what I mean is actually a personal experience. My family (grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins) live in a town just a bit south of Philadelphia. So you already know they all saw that news article... I called my grandmother to let her know that I was interviewed by a local news station about the Astrodome and you already know she had a BUNCH of questions about The Cadets. It was not fun answering those questions... she knows how much this activity means to me, but everything I said in defense of the activity went in one ear and out the other. My cousins get that sadly these things happen and they feel bad for the victims and the current staff and members who had nothing to do with this. Basically, this can really affect a lot of corps in terms of what their future might bring. I am hoping and praying for the best. My heart really does go towards the activity right now. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Tim K said:

For the sake of clarity, nowhere in Tennyson’s poem “the charge on the light brigade” are the 27th lancers mentioned. In fact the 27th Lancers were a new unit formed sometime in the 20th century. It is true that in the Crimean war which is where this charge of the light brigade took place, there were Lancer units as well as Hussars  and there was a Hollywood movie made about it which I think featured Errol Flynn,  and perhaps that is where Bonfiglio got his idea for naming the corps the lancers.

Edited by Scerpella

30 minutes ago, cowtown said:

So for the Cadets opener Sounds of Silence we have the visual the entire corps dressed as YEA Office Staff radiating out in a circle with all their backs to the empty doughnut-hole spot in the center where we see a short looking bigfoot, file cabinet and an intern.

Now shut your mouth, close your eyes and think of YEA

It’s completely tone deaf, as are all of these promises of best summer of your life, Cadets top 5, haters going to hate.

Some of the priorities here are way messed up

I think the PRIORITIES here are to bring alleged crimes to light, and to prevent them from ever happening again.

I also think it's possible to discuss the victims, and have concurrent conversations about the success of Cadets 2018.

Nothing "tone-deaf" about it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, thanks for that observation. I don't know what's appropriate in drum corps. In my field, leaders at organizations with budgets about twice as large as YEA's are making less than Hopkins did.

I guess it depends on the field. North of 5 million is certainly a significant size (although not yet major... that wold be north of $10 million). In the arts area it is not unreasonable but when compared to organizations that are running a single corps it may seem like a lot. But you really need to look at organizations similar in size and scope for comparison. Most board (and I would be the last to suggest the old YEA would be considered like most boards, thankfully) would like salary surveys across the space to make sure ALL of the employees where being fairly compensated based on the size of the location and other factors like cost of living where they are based etc. As the work to stabilize YEA I would suspect this will be on the work plan as well.