The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

19 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

It’s not the responsibility of the organization that schedules and promotes shows for member corps to provide policy, processes and procedures, let alone disciplinary actions, unless the member corps put forth a proposal for the member corps to pass and agree to follow those requirements and procedures in the proposal. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

DCI would need to change their mission statement and expand on its services and capabilities as an organization which would require its member corps to accept. I doubt the resources are available to revise its foot print let alone extend its authority without a vote by its member corps. 

I do agree with your first statement in theory that DCI has limited authority and I agree with your suggestions in the second post, but for the survival of the organization, DCI needed to take the leadership role it did and when the directors meet at a later date, evaluate the merits. In this situation, DCI saying “it’s not in our bylaws” would be viewed as enabling. It may be an example of “It’s better ask for forgiveness than permission,” but not acting could have had devastating consequences too. Right now we have only looked at the sexual misconduct side of things. We forget it brings up supervision issues, credibility, and hiring practices. We also forget the corporate sponsors could bale which should not play a role in the decision making but it is important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Certainly understand the sensitive nature of this subject.  Don't know how BOA and or WGI is structured with regards to these issues. (great discussion) However if either has policies in place that stipulate how they are handled, it may be a model to mirror. That's if DCI member corps agree to expand the arm of authority of DCI. 

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

In the mean time... another story in the Allentown paper has this bit of encouraging news:

"Doug Rutherford, a former Cadet and the new YEA board chairman, told The Morning Call the steps DCI outlined already are being taken. The organization is working with the national sex abuse prevention organization RAINN to review safety policies and procedures and build a better mechanism for reporting problems, he said."

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-allentown-cadets-probation-20180413-story.html

Yes- and according to DCI's statement putting the corps on probation, RAINN will be starting to report in to DCI HQ starting any time between now and the and of the month and every 2 weeks thereafter on how things are going. I felt this part of DCI's probationary terms will be the most demanding to achieve, I still do.

42 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I do agree with your first statement in theory that DCI has limited authority and I agree with your suggestions in the second post, but for the survival of the organization, DCI needed to take the leadership role it did and when the directors meet at a later date, evaluate the merits. In this situation, DCI saying “it’s not in our bylaws” would be viewed as enabling. It may be an example of “It’s better ask for forgiveness than permission,” but not acting could have had devastating consequences too. Right now we have only looked at the sexual misconduct side of things. We forget it brings up supervision issues, credibility, and hiring practices. We also forget the corporate sponsors could bale which should not play a role in the decision making but it is important.

There may be something in the bylaws granting the equivalent of "broad discretionary powers" for extreme circumstances like this one. My guess is there is something in there like it.

Edited by BigW
spelling

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Those comments are horrible.  This is why people hesitate to come forward.  Shame on those commenters.  

I hope it wasn't me being horrible. Her description of even more of George's stunts and antics just didn't surprise me at all, even though they were the kind of things an non-compassionate and rotten person would do. For instance, if anyone else I've known as a director would toss a member of the corps who wasn't marching out of a talk because they were injured, I'd be pretty shocked and disgusted at the rude callousness of the action. I'm not surprised  he did this at all. That's why I'm upset.

Edited by BigW
Clarification

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I hope it wasn't me being horrible. Her description of even more of George's stunts and antics just didn't surprise me at all, even though they were the kind of things an non-compassionate and rotten person would do. For instance, if anyone else I've known as a director would toss a member of the corps who wasn't marching out of a talk because they were injured, I'd be pretty shocked and disgusted at the rude callousness of the action. Not with him. That's why I'm upset.

No!  The comments on the article.  I’m sorry.  There are seven horrible comments, one referring to us as twisted band nerds or something like that. 

Edited by Terri Schehr