The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Surprised?  No. Disappointed?  Yes. Stu was a goofball so not credible. Stu went to the wrong person. That's right, the executive director of DCI has no power. He can only shrug his shoulders. Oh and he also has no recollection of any conversation. And yet, time and again on this website I read that Hopkins' proclivities were "the worst kept secret in DCI".  It doesn't add up. 

Just because a person is perceived as a fool on a social forum that was notorious for its flaming rancor doesn’t mean his testimony is deceptive or false. Acheson should have seriously looked into the allegation. His contention that overseeing potential criminal behavior in corps is not within his purview is a cop-out.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I would like to read what is specified in those bylaws.

Jim.   The authority DCI will use will be the perfomance agreement each corps signs prior to the season.  These are the terms and conditions that each corps agrees to in order to compete in sanctioned shows.  You are correct that DCI itself is no more than a show promoter (by their own admission) and has no authority to compell any of the members to do anything internally. But they can prevent the corps from competing if they are not in compliance with the performance agreement.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wallace said:

Just because a person is perceived as a fool on a social forum that was notorious for its flaming rancor doesn’t mean his testimony is deceptive or false. Acheson should have seriously looked into the allegation. His contention that overseeing potential criminal behavior in corps is not within his purview is a cop-out.

If this guy came across as a total crackpot... in the case of government authorities that get the Men in Black, Black helicopters spraying mind control chems on my yard letters, and they do- at least they get some courteous and formal response thanking them for their E-Mail and concern, even if they're rolling their eyes. I know this from someone who dealt with that sort of stuff. Does this guy have anything like that from DCI HQ? I'd think he should, and it would at least somewhat bolster what case he had.

23 minutes ago, endy29 said:

Jim.   The authority DCI will use will be the perfomance agreement each corps signs prior to the season.  These are the terms and conditions that each corps agrees to in order to compete in sanctioned shows.  You are correct that DCI itself is no more than a show promoter (by their own admission) and has no authority to compell any of the members to do anything internally. But they can prevent the corps from competing if they are not in compliance with the performance agreement.

Answers the question. Thanks 

It is a cop out if DCI says they don't have control over the corps, corps members, or their staffs. They run the "show." If you want to be in the show, play by our rules. This is a chance for the organization to step up and provide positive leadership. To paraphrase another major league:

"It is a privilege to be part of Drum Corps International. Everyone who is part of DCI must refrain from 'conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence' in DCI. This includes management, instructors, members, other employees of participating organizations, officials, judges and employees of DCI or any other DCI business.

"Conduct by anyone participating in DCI that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the activity, and undercuts public respect and support for DCI. We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character; we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace; and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that favorably reflect on ourselves, our corps and member organizations, the communities we represent, and DCI."

0ap3000000828506.pdf

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, madisonsmiley said:

It is a cop out if DCI says they don't have control over the corps, corps members, or their staffs. They run the "show." If you want to be in the show, play by our rules. 

"It is a privilege to be part of the Drum Corps International. Everyone who is part of the DCI must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in DCI. This includes management, instructors, members, other employees of participating organizations, officials, judges and employees of the DCI or any other DCI business.

Conduct by anyone in the DCI that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the DCI. We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character; we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace; and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that favorably reflect on ourselves, our teams, the communities we represent, and DCI.

0ap3000000828506.pdf

Thank you. There's the type of broad all-encompassing morals clause that I figured had to be there somewhere.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

It is a cop out if DCI says they don't have control over the corps, corps members, or their staffs. They run the "show." If you want to be in the show, play by our rules. 

"It is a privilege to be part of the Drum Corps International. Everyone who is part of the DCI must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in DCI. This includes management, instructors, members, other employees of participating organizations, officials, judges and employees of the DCI or any other DCI business.

Conduct by anyone in the DCI that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the DCI. We must endeavor at all times to be people of high character; we must show respect for others inside and outside our workplace; and we must strive to conduct ourselves in ways that favorably reflect on ourselves, our teams, the communities we represent, and DCI.

0ap3000000828506.pdf

YOU sir are not very good at spreading propaganda.

You have taken a document put out by the NFL and replaced all the information with Drum Corps international.

SAD!

PROOF: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Also.  That statement has done such an effective job of curtailing things in the NFL hasn't it!

Context may play a role here too. I remember RAMD but I do not believe I ever made a comment on the site. I only recently signed up to comment on Reddit and have only done so once on a very different topic. While I read DCP posts for years, I only signed up to post comments in 2011. So if I ever read posts by the man who reported GH to Dan Acheson, they did not stick out in my mind. As I said in another post, I do believe the initial complaint should have been investigated, and to give the man who made the initial complaint credit, people feel free to express themselves on the internet in ways they may not in real life. However, there may be another reason other than forgetting that made Dan Acheson do nothing or does state he not recall. It is not acceptable but it happens. George Hopkins was often criticized for crazy reasons. This is not to say that he did not bring it on himself, but if the man who made the original complaint was on a GH rant when he spoke to Dan Acheson and was prone to GH rants on social media, maybe Dan Acheson stopped listening. If you’ve ever worked in retailing, you know how easy it is to stop listening. I’m not saying it is a good thing, but it happens, and it may have happened here too. I think if there are other similar situations with people who are less volatile, we may have reasons to be even more concerned than we are now.

8 minutes ago, Liahona said:

YOU sir are not very good at spreading propaganda.

You have taken a document put out by the NFL and replaced all the information with Drum Corps international.

SAD!

PROOF: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

It was intentional. Sorry that you missed that.

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Haha 1