The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

14 minutes ago, BigW said:

There also was the "Case of the Pilfered Beef Jerky." An entire work area got stung. I know Beef Jerky's pricey but is it worth your job, no matter how tasty? :tic:

Look for the people with good teeth lol. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Back in October of 2017 on Reddit I read the resignation letter from the director of USBands that stated YEA was nearly $1 million in debt and it is because GH didn't know how to use a simple budget. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/75djf0/the_truth_about_george_hopkins/

Some of the comments under that are priceless.  “I don’t even remember what person I was back then”. 

23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No!  The comments on the article.  I’m sorry.  There are seven horrible comments, one referring to us as twisted band nerds or something like that. 

Holy crap I just read those, almost all are inappropriate.  I'm semi tempted to sign up for an account to flag them.

• Thanks 1

Quote from the Reddit post:

"I do not agree with your business/financial model. YEA! is nearly $1 million in debt and it is because you do not know how to use a simple budget. USBands should have a budget, Performing Ensembles should have a budget. These are simple rules of business. Instead, we fly by the seat of our pants and have our travel credit cards declined while we are on travel because you can’t pay the bills."

Things like that are why DCI wants to see the books.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Some of the comments under that are priceless.  “I don’t even remember what person I was back then”. 

Yes, one of the people I was referring to above. , ie an individual that as the former Director of USBands one would assume would have direct knowledge of the YEA financials at the time this was written ( Oct, 2017 ) is stating they are ( his words ) "  nearly 1 million in debt ". Was it true then ? Is it better, worse, now ? Well, thats why DCI HQ is conducting their own financial audit, and why it is not at all unusual for people both here and elsewhere to " speculate " on what DCI might/ will find. The rumor of such possible debt, heard in several quarters, has been out there for at least 6 months. The upcoming  DCI  HQ audit will determine what the true state of their financial situation is, and take all this out of the realm of mere speculation.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Sure then... that seems a fair request to me. As such, I don't have a clue on whether or not (  even what some Cadet alums / donors are saying ) about the possible debt situation at YEA/ Cadets here in April 2018 is accurate or not. My reply above was initially to the DCP poster asking us why we think that DCI is  taking the rather unusual step to go and pour over the books and the financials now of YEA/ Cadets as part of their probation terms... DCI says its to be certain they are financially stable enough. Rutherford says they are. I stated above I believe him. I stated there are people stating there is financial debt there here in April 2018. Not sure if thats true, or not, nor if true, the levels of it.' Guess we'll find out soon enough with DCI HQ, audit of their financials. So that what I " think " at the moment on this, HockeyDad.

What do you think ? Do you think YEA/ Cadets are in some levels of current debt, or in good shape  financially here in April, 2018, HockeyDad  ? And why so  ?

For some reason, the topic of debt doesn't inspire interest from me. Rather, it's  the improprieties of GH and the possibility of collateral damage that's bothering me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap I just read those, almost all are inappropriate.  I'm semi tempted to sign up for an account to flag them.

It's Reddit. 

• Like 1

Regarding YEA!, what if they have $1,000,000 in liabilities and $2,000,000 in assets, which, hypothetically speaking, gives them net assets of $1,000,000? That might not be such a bad place to be financially. Based on the letter from the director of US Bands does he have access to audited financials? If Hopkins is a control freak, senior staff may not have access to financial statements. Would it not prudent to give significantly more weight to their 990s prepared by an independent accounting firm? A new board and management would be wise to have their own independent audit done so they can verify Hopkins wasn't cooking the books, which is pure speculation. Saying they have $1,000,000 in debt on its own isn't an issue. More information is needed. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 1