The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had a flashback reading one of the comments on the Reddit link. Child of someone I worked with (later one of my bosses) left in mid tour due to a medical condition. When parents went to pick her up no one would come near or talk to them (staff refused to talk). Later found out word was passed that kid left because he/she was “not Cadets material” and he/she could have dealt with the condition “if he/she wanted to” which is not close to the truth. My ex coworker/boss is exMarine so they now how to work as a team and what real honor means. This BS just sticks in my mind over a decade later.

You never know what actually happens in cases like this. I have had great band and winter students that don't make it through May camps. It happens , even to the best.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This thread is really jumping the shark

lots of guessing and supposition and few facts 

Drifting, maybe. Jumping the shark, no. Think of it as a long overdue catharsis. People need to let out their frustrations. I'm learning that not only is GH a perv (allegedly), he was also a lousy boss, lousy manager, micromanager, martyr, and all around unpleasant person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

so... you mean (gasp) the ex employee with an ax to grind wasn't entirely accurate!!?? I'm "shocked"

no one is asking to 'shut down" the thread. I'm just saying that we have multiple people posting about supposed financial issues with apparently ZERO knowledge of the actual situation

on the heels of the Hopkins story stirring up essentially rumors of "financial crisis" at YEA is irresponsible and potentially quite damaging

I absolutely concur, and the singular reason why I've been dogged in addressing speculation in general, and of financial matters in specific.

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

I absolutely concur, and the singular reason why I've been dogged in addressing speculation in general, and of financial matters in specific.

I do appreciate it. Like I said, this can be one of the pitfalls in the activity. You have to have people who understand financing to keep a corps running.

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Naw.. I don't think I'm interested discussing anything with you anymore. Maybe down I line I might care what you think/ want to know.. but not  at the moment. Ask somebody else if DCI is conducting their own look/ audit of YEA/ Cadets financials. They can tell you what it is DCI is doing re. this,.

OK!  I'm sorry you wilted so easily, but facts have a way of doing that.

I trust you won't mind if I correct your embellishments on the thread in the future.

I'm crushed, Brasso, really.  It takes formidability to gain as many posts as you have, but I guess you have to pick your conversations carefully when formidability is not exclusive.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I do appreciate it. Like I said, this can be one of the pitfalls in the activity. You have to have people who understand financing to keep a corps running.

Yes, and because the details can be arcane, way too often they are misinterpreted and mis-"reported" to be turned into something they aren't.

Tim K here is a numbers whiz, too, and the CFO of SCV lurks around, IIRC.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Let's remember, often speculation, inquisitive, curious etc etc can also be called gossip or conspiratory theorists and sometimes certainly with agenda but lacking in actual fact or source. Social media often is nothing more than that too. just look at the world today :blink:

Facts often get in the way sometimes..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

I hope people aren’t picking and choosing which YEA ex employees have an ax to grind now? Selective outrage. 

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I hope people aren’t picking and choosing which YEA ex employees have an ax to grind now? Selective outrage. 

Nope.  Only because I've spent some time with the 990's do I keep my antenna up for financial claims.

Numbers are easy to fudge because so few people actually understand them enough to challenge the contentions of a few who claim knowledge but have none or little.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, and because the details can be arcane, way too often they are misinterpreted and mis-"reported" to be turned into something they aren't.

Tim K here is a numbers whiz, too, and the CFO of SCV lurks around, IIRC.

Easy to do. Between the $5.5 mil library and the $1.5 mil organization, I've got enough detail of my own to worry over. I guarantee I can't speculate on someone else's number details.