The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

11 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I'd like for them, and i know its extremely late, to scrap it all ...

While I agree it would be terrific to scrap the new costumes and replace with old, there is the cost/timing factor to deal with that might not make it feasible for this season.  [Or maybe not until a week or so before Finals ...]

As for the music, I wouldn't wish it upon Drew Shanefield to scrap "it all" and start over, especially at this late date.  It's already going to be a big rewrite job to remove and replace Sound of Silence (as well as drill & design which has already been in place for a least the opener).     But the bulk of the show (not including occasional call-backs to SoS) can remain, especially the closer which is already a reboot of older Cadets' music.

The big question ... do the four singers stay on if they remove SoS entirely?   

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

mingusmonk's post of the Philly.com interview has some encouraging information. As did the earlier post regarding the independent investigations firm. For such a terrible story it is refreshing to see something positive this morning!

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Well, they thought about letting the collective members of DCP undertake the investigation, but ...

... we would still be arguing about who said what with regard to what kind of donuts to order before starting the investigation.  

• Like 1

New to posting am an old Cadet from North Jersey and lifelong Drum Corps Fan & Supporter son marched DCI in the 90's. No activity is more important to us than Drum Corps. Point is if the Cadets can survive George that it can Sean as well. A fresh start is a fresh start Sean does not need to be in the way at all. The activity could use more people of color in charge the Cadets could move in that direction and be better off for it, it's not that the Cadets owe anything to anyone lets move on without any clouds over anyone's head or be like Hollywood and just go after Bill and let all the white folks walk. How are we separating the Board from Sean, wasn't he closer to all this than the remote Board of Directors, strange allegiance's here when it should be all about the kids and not anyone else? How is Sean so qualified to run the corps when all this went on and at best he knew nothing a "Captain Klink" should not be running the Cadets they deserve better!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

but he wasn't attacked on this. He was told what he should do.

Did he get crap on other issues? Sure, and deservedly so in some cases. But here, he falls into the Paterno trap of " i could/should have done more". And he didn't. And at that time, while pretty much all of RAMD hated Hopkins, no one else believed this possible or had any kind of proof to bring forward about this kind of repulsive behavior. In fact Rice himself later created a homophobic bashing video and tied Hopkins into it. he got bashed for that

And then there was this other poster who made wild accusations which made anything posted on RAMD suspicious. Personally I wondered if stu took this so seriously why didn’t he take it to the proper authorities. It was like he griped that no one did anything..... yet HE was the one who supposedly had info.... and did nothing 

To be clear not arguing with Jeff. Just a good place to post this

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

... we would still be arguing about who said what with regard to what kind of donuts to order before starting the investigation.  

sounds like what I see some alumni doing too

14 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Old enough to remember Viet Nam war peace negotiations which started with a year discussing round or square table

23 minutes ago, Eleran said:

While I agree it would be terrific to scrap the new costumes and replace with old, there is the cost/timing factor to deal with that might not make it feasible for this season.  [Or maybe not until a week or so before Finals ...]

As for the music, I wouldn't wish it upon Drew Shanefield to scrap "it all" and start over, especially at this late date.  It's already going to be a big rewrite job to remove and replace Sound of Silence (as well as drill & design which has already been in place for a least the opener).     But the bulk of the show (not including occasional call-backs to SoS) can remain, especially the closer which is already a reboot of older Cadets' music.

The big question ... do the four singers stay on if they remove SoS entirely?   

I would poll the members and staff first, then, if they can handle it, do the show. "Sound of Silence" might be just the thing needed -- for The Cadets, for others. Tough call because it could be cathartic and it could be horrible (I could see it be a literal show stopper.). And it could be just what we need. "But my words, like silent raindrops fell, And echoed in the wells of silence "

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And then there was this other poster who made wild accusations which made anything posted on RAMD suspicious. Personally I wondered if stu took this so seriously why didn’t he take it to the proper authorities. It was like he groped no one did anything..... yet HE was the one who supposedly had info. 

To be clear not arguing with Jeff. Just a good place to post this

oh I'm with you. I looked up the old post....and the few that followed. We all told him to go to the proper authorities. Stuart, who should have known better, wanted to act like so many that DCI is monolithic institution that oversees all

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh I'm with you. I looked up the old post....and the few that followed. We all told him to go to the proper authorities. Stuart, who should have known better, wanted to act like so many that DCI is monolithic institution that oversees all

And Rice responded: "It has been suggested that I talk with Dan Acheson, child protection agencies, and the police about reporting what my sources have informed me regarding sex offenders in drum corps.  I have left no stone unturned.  In one case, the statute of limitations has expired.  In another, I was told the police could do nothing."

That last language is equivocal, however.  It could be interpreted as "[I went to the police and] I was told [by the police that] the police could do nothing" or "I was told [by someone ... perhaps his sources] the police could do nothing."

So it's possible he did what you all told him to do, though not 100% clear that he did.   I don't believe he ever indicated going to the Board of Directors of the Cadets, however.