The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

19 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

If this allegation is true, it's another example of Hop's/YEA's rubber stamp board not doing due diligence.

EDIT a day later:  I'm removing the rest of this post which said I hoped the former YEA board members get personally sued--not the corps--not YEA--but board members I feel failed in their duty to oversee and protect corps members, staff, and volunteers from GH. It has since been pointed out to me in a PM that the financial impact on board members would not be what I intended, because the board would have malpractice insurance that would shield the board members from financial responsibility for this. I realize my unedited comment remains in replies below, but I'm editing this anyway.

I'll also say in response to a reply pointing out that lawsuits always go after the organizations, and not just individuals:  it's true attorneys will always recommend that, but most of the victims who have said anything about this have said that they still love the Cadets and YEA and don't wish to hurt the organizations' ability to move forward. Let's just hope that if they sue anybody, it's Hop and Hop alone. As I and Brasso and maybe others have said elsewhere, personal liability insurance, even if Hop had it, normally excludes willful misbehavior. It's hard to argue what he did wasn't willful misbehavior, so there is likely no insurance that would financially cover GH in lawsuit judgments or settlements here.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 1

When it comes to criminal wrongdoing, there can be many variables.

First, for a criminal case to be opened, there is not much that can be done unless one of the accusers files a charge in the state where the incident took place. The exception would be the youngest accuser. In that case it would depend on the age of consent laws of that state. Someone can “drop a dime” on the cases involving the young women over 18, but unless they file a charge, little can happen. 

There are also statutes of limitation laws that vary from state to state. In some states, the statute of limitation laws are cut and dry: x number of years to report, no exceptions. Others are more variable. Still others, it depends on the residency of the accused. For example in Massachusetts, if the accuser is a minor, he/she has I believe 15 years after their 18th birthday to file charges. If the accused is living in Massachusetts, the fifteen years after the 18th birthday stands. If the accused moves out of state, the clock stops. Also, a judge can override the 15 years after the 18th birthday in notorious cases, and the Massachusetts legislature is always looking at repealing it all together and saying there are no statutes of limitations for sex crimes. 

There could be civil judgments, but the accusers will have to find a lawyer willing to take in the case, but it’s unlikely YEA and GH have assets that could reap even a minimal amount. Insurance could cover some situations, but that’s unlikely. There might be a lawyer willing to take a case, just to prove a point, but it is still expensive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On GH's Facebook page, the ABOUT section has been updated.  Previous work references to YEA!, The Cadets, and USBands have been removed.

I assume that GH made these changes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

When it comes to criminal wrongdoing, there can be many variables.

First, for a criminal case to be opened, there is not much that can be done unless one of the accusers files a charge in the state where the incident took place. The exception would be the youngest accuser. In that case it would depend on the age of consent laws of that state. Someone can “drop a dime” on the cases involving the young women over 18, but unless they file a charge, little can happen. 

There are also statutes of limitation laws that vary from state to state. In some states, the statute of limitation laws are cut and dry: x number of years to report, no exceptions. Others are more variable. Still others, it depends on the residency of the accused. For example in Massachusetts, if the accuser is a minor, he/she has I believe 15 years after their 18th birthday to file charges. If the accused is living in Massachusetts, the fifteen years after the 18th birthday stands. If the accused moves out of state, the clock stops. Also, a judge can override the 15 years after the 18th birthday in notorious cases, and the Massachusetts legislature is always looking at repealing it all together and saying there are no statutes of limitations for sex crimes. 

There could be civil judgments, but the accusers will have to find a lawyer willing to take in the case, but it’s unlikely YEA and GH have assets that could reap even a minimal amount. Insurance could cover some situations, but that’s unlikely. There might be a lawyer willing to take a case, just to prove a point, but it is still expensive. 

I appreciate the info. As we can see from the Cosby case where the incident was said to have happened in Pennsylvania and this was the one state they could still criminally charge him in, PA has a longer statute of limitations for rape than many other states. Other states need to extend this--it's too short. It often takes years for victims to come forward and that delay by itself does not mean their claims are bogus.

Liability insurance often excludes claims where criminal behavior was involved, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Peel Paint

3 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

If this allegation is true, it's another example of Hop's/YEA's rubber stamp board not doing due diligence. If true, this should have been a huge red flag for the old board. I hope they each get sued up the wazoo.

I’m not giving the previous board a free pass, but before passing judgement on the previous  board, we have to know what authority they had, whether they were juridical or advisory, and what they knew and when they knew it. GH probably kept them in the dark on many matters. They fumbled enough when the accusations became public, no question, but given what we heard in the past regarding the board on other matters that are not criminal and have nothing to do with what is at hand, it sounds as if they did little other than fill the requirement that the organization has a board. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

On GH's Facebook page, the ABOUT section has been updated.  Previous work references to YEA!, The Cadets, and USBands have been removed.

Doesn't leave much of an ABOUT, does it.

I can just imagine a future employer discussing an equally updated resume'....."and what have you done since 1978?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

I wouldn't necessarily presume that.  In some cases, I believe one can appeal to FB to have these things removed. 

Just now, rmm155 said:

I wouldn't necessarily presume that.  In some cases, I believe one can appeal to FB to have these things removed. 

Word is Russian hackers who support Putin had the references removed as a way of meddling in the affairs of DCI.:cheer:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

Or have it shared with Cambridge

• Haha 2