The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 hours ago, Peel Paint said:

If this allegation is true, it's another example of Hop's/YEA's rubber stamp board not doing due diligence. If true, this should have been a huge red flag for the old board. I hope they each get sued up the wazoo. Not the corps and not YEA... the individuals responsible for this tragedy.

If this allegation is true, how would the board find out about it?  These are volunteer positions, which means there is a limited amount of time.  Unless someone brings an issue to the board's attention, there is no red flag.   Of course boards hire audit firms to review company finances and operating procedures which go to a much deeper level than the board itself can ever go.  Absent a finding by the auditors or a complaint, there is no reason to be investigating internal emails.  You seem to be forgetting that the first half of "due diligence" is "due".  A board examining company emails without some type of triggering event would be "undue diligence".

Now if you can find evidence that someone complained to the board and the complaint was ignored, then it is an entirely different situation.  If the complaint was brought to the attention of an individual board member and they withheld that information from the board, I suspect that individual would have a problem.  If the complaint was discussed at a board meeting and swept aside, that would also be problematic.  The board minutes should be available.  That should tell you what the issues were that were discussed at the meetings.  

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

If the complaint was discussed at a board meeting and swept aside, that would also be problematic.  The board minutes should be available.  That should tell you what the issues were that were discussed at the meetings.  

You'd be lucky to find board nano-seconds, let alone minutes, from the old board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m not giving the previous board a free pass, but before passing judgement on the previous  board, we have to know what authority they had, whether they were juridical or advisory, and what they knew and when they knew it. GH probably kept them in the dark on many matters. They fumbled enough when the accusations became public, no question, but given what we heard in the past regarding the board on other matters that are not criminal and have nothing to do with what is at hand, it sounds as if they did little other than fill the requirement that the organization has a board. 

Why speculate?  Get the board minutes and put them out there for everyone to see.

Just now, MikeD said:

You'd be lucky to find board nano-seconds, let alone minutes, from the old board.

I have been told that maintaining minutes for a 501-c-3 is a requirement, and that you can get them if you ask.  Every board I have been on has kept minutes on file (possibly related to the 990?).  Have you looked?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Oh the irony here too. In this article GH mentions he is not to fond of the South, and specifically mentions a community in the state of Mississippi. But as ling timers here recall it was a long auto drive in the Fall by Hopkins himself from the Northeast to the Univ. of Mississippi in the early 80s in hopes of persuading a Mississippi college Marching Band to provide him marchers for his Cadets. The Cadets were down to a small handful of brass players at the time, and really close to folding. But the Univ. of Mississippi came to his Corps rescue at this pivotal time to their survival, as approx a dozen ( or more )brass players from the Univ. of Mississippi decided to march the Cadets. In 1983, several from " the south " were still marching Cadets. And the Cadets won their 1st DCI Title with a good mix of these Univ. of Mississippi marchers included in the mix that were busting their arses to help him and his Cadets garner that first title. Thats why his criticisms in his public facebook rant here, was seen as so ungratefully ironic as well as uncalled for to many.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Icer said:

I have been told that maintaining minutes for a 501-c-3 is a requirement, and that you can get them if you ask.  Every board I have been on has kept minutes on file (possibly related to the 990?).  Have you looked?

I doubt you have been on a board quite like the old YEA board. Just a hunch that there are no minutes in existence. Did they even hold meetings? Or did GH just tell them whatever he wanted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just found/saw the George Hopkins Support Page on Facebook??????????????  It takes all kinds, I guess.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I doubt you have been on a board quite like the old YEA board. Just a hunch that there are no minutes in existence. Did they even hold meetings? Or did GH just tell them whatever he wanted. 

That was definitely the vibe we picked up sitting by the chairman in LaCrosse last July.