The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

On 4/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, BigW said:

I don't mean to slide OT... but since you mentioned this I found a really fine Doctoral abstract on the subject online. Mike Boo is even involved as a source. Well worth perusing, even for a bit.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=osu1461167753&disposition=inline

Ooh, thanks for that link. I'm only 40 pages in, but there's lots of useful information in that study, even if it does exhibit some chronological snobbery (and has a typo in the very first sentence).

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Lots of reasons why they moved. 

IIRC, need for corporate restructure to try and get rid of the debt load was one of them? (I could word this in a snarky way but won't)

PA Law regarding various business practices was also more easy to work and deal with?

Space for the HQ was readily available in A-town cheap and the city was thrilled to get some kind of business there?

It's all hazy but I think those were all part of the mix in some way.

45 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ooh, thanks for that link. I'm only 40 pages in, but there's lots of useful information in that study, even if it does exhibit some chronological snobbery (and has a typo in the very first sentence).

What do you mean by chronological snobbery. So far I’ve seen one sentence making a back handed reference to opening up the drill which was a biggie as I remember it. “No more elevator (up and down the 50) drills for the drum line.”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What do you mean by chronological snobbery. So far I’ve seen one sentence making a back handed reference to opening up the drill which was a biggie as I remember it. “No more elevator (up and down the 50) drills for the drum line.”

LOL, true, though. Don't want to derail, but all I can think of since you mentioned that was the '79 Lewistown, PA DCA show and the Royalaires when they had to inch forward down the 50 so they didn't trample their passed out soloist to death. :satisfied:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigW said:

LOL, true, though. Don't want to derail, but all I can think of since you mentioned that was the '79 Lewistown, PA DCA show and the Royalaires when they had to inch forward down the 50 so they didn't trample their passed out soloist to death. :satisfied:

As much as they may have wanted to. 

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

As much as they may have wanted to. 

:laugh: Nah, you could tell there was a "WHAT THE HECK DO WE DO NOW!!!!?????" sense of panic in the snares. They went from 8 to 5 to like 40 to 5 as they got closer...

• Like 1

And since it’s a DCI based thesis no mention of Cabs carrying 4 steel drums in 1975. And Matadors carrying DOUBLE steel drums. And Matador who went to his knees at Mount Carmel exhibition due to strap problems. (With Geiger and I 25 feet away watching)

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And since it’s a DCI based thesis no mention of Cabs carrying 4 steel drums in 1975. And Matadors carrying DOUBLE steel drums. And Matador who went to his knees at Mount Carmel exhibition due to strap problems. (With Geiger and I 25 feet away watching)

Keep in mind, Jim, the thesis runs 300+ pages... you have to limit yourself on these things when you write them so it doesn't get out of control. Now....could there be more studies on the subject and does it deserve one? YOU BET. Another thread maybe. :satisfied:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This person is pit tech for my kids' marching season two years' running.

"Snobbery".  Hmph.  Well, you're never a hero in your own home town, I suppose, but yea, that's an apt word.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Off-topic ---At one point in 60s (or very early 70s) Kilties marched a rig that allowed one guy to carry 2 tympani.  He (they were all-male then) had to put on the carrier, and then other people had to attach the drums.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1