The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I read Rice's argument there, flawed as he may be about the actual figures, as being not class warfare but pushback against anyone who says they feel sorry for Hopkins. His salary was three times the median for Pennsylvania, and now it will seem to some observers that he was being rewarded for being a monster.

Still, Aaron Sorkin hears you.

N.E. Brigand, my friend.

Challenges me to think.  Enjoys the joust.  Is honest with his heart.  Knows me.

16 months away from the Planet, and this is the first thread to which I see upon return.

Wow.  Just...wow.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, garfield said:

"The good news is, even without the company car and expense account, likely millionaire George Hopkins has over 15,000 Facebook friends to couch surf. (Of course, that's called *sarcasm*.)"

-Stuart Evan Rice (source: https://twitter.com/SEvanRice/status/987040000930856961)

"...likely millionaire..."

So, now this has gone beyond GH simply being lecherous.  Now he's RICH and lecherous.

Director's Social class warfare in drum corps.  Great.  Thanks for that.

What's next, all directors must be poor and chaste to gain entry to the DCI competition field?

Fact: at a national savings rate of less than 5%, even if Hop paid himself $175,000/year for 30 years (didn't happen) he'd "likely" have accumulated about a quarter-million dollars, plus or minus.

Embellishment seems to be a hallmark of Mr. Rice's and I hope the reporter takes that into account when publishing his comments.

proves everything I have said about Rice to be correct

2 hours ago, HornTeacher said:

16 months away from the Planet, and this is the first thread to which I see upon return.

Wow.  Just...wow.

If you haven't yet, definitely scan through the various links in the first post, which has been much supplemented by mingusmonk as the story developed.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

His salary was three times the median for Pennsylvania,

I hear yah. The thing is, in the back of my mind... I think to myself, "heck.... I could give it a go for half that and live comfortably and get a decent pay raise", spend the difference to try and increase salaries of YEA employees. I just have a feeling I'd walk a mile in the moccasins and I'd be thinking I might be underpaid. :satisfied:

I think, though, I'd delegate a LOT more. I know better than to think I could do it all. I'd try and insist work hours were more limited so everyone doesn't go crazy and burn out. Maybe have to hire more employees to make sure everything is done well and not by burning out everyone. Also, I'd be up front and say flat out I'd be out the door no later than the end of 2024 when I hit 62 and would endeavor to ensure a solid transition. Stay in the background, avoid stupid tweets, do things quietly and effectively. Just me.

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

You have a lot of homework to catch up on. Take a deep breath. :satisfied:

I spent a good part of the late afternoon and evening doing exactly that.  All I can say is (again): Wow.  Just...wow.

9 hours ago, HornTeacher said:

Wow.  Just...wow.

I know, right?  I had just made a decision to leave DCP for good, and then this happened.  And where else could I find so much information about it.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2018 at 6:32 AM, garfield said:

Fact: at a national savings rate of less than 5%, even if Hop paid himself $175,000/year for 30 years (didn't happen) he'd "likely" have accumulated about a quarter-million dollars, plus or minus.

You are forgetting about compounding interest, he would have significantly more than $250k.

Either way, the whole $175k salary thing is the biggest red herring in this mess. Yeah, it is good money, but he isn't rich and given the number of hours he worked it isn't an absurd amount of money. Whatever else he is, he was the director of one of the most successful drum corps in history and was compensated as such.

The thing about a lot of the responses (not the one I'm responding to, just responses in general) to this whole mess that makes me really uncomfortable is how many people are using it as vindication of all their dislike of rule changes, show designs, uniforms, and anything else they didn't like about GH. Some people seem happy to see GH go down because they don't like his effect on drum corps more than they are glad that a serial rapist has been exposed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

I hear yah. The thing is, in the back of my mind... I think to myself, "heck.... I could give it a go for half that and live comfortably and get a decent pay raise", spend the difference to try and increase salaries of YEA employees. I just have a feeling I'd walk a mile in the moccasins and I'd be thinking I might be underpaid. :satisfied:

Yeah, not saying he was overpaid for the job he was supposed to be doing, just that it turns out he was being paid to ruin some people's lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1