The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

. Some people seem happy to see GH go down because they don't like his effect on drum corps more than they are glad that a serial rapist has been exposed.

Unfortunately, it would seem so .And for others, the mere fact he had the Cadets fall to 7th, was enough to get the ball rolling to oust him there at the Cadets,  and more than the fact that he was exposed as a possible " serial rapist" too in a few unusual priorities of reasons too. People have all sorts of reasons as to why they are glad he is now gone from the Cadets, as well as the activity as a whole. What they all have in common though is that most are relieved now that he is.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

And for others, the mere fact he had the Cadets fall to 7th was enough to get the ball rolling to kick him to the curb,  and more than the fact that he was exposed as a possible "serial rapist". People have all sorts of reasons as to whey are glad he is now gone from the activity. What they all have in common, is that most are glad that he is.

I am reminded of Ward Churchill, a Colorado professor of Native American studies who caused a furor in 2005 by referring to 9/11 victims as "little Eichmanns". The public outcry about his remarks led to people taking a closer look at his scholarship, and he was found to have plagiarized on multiple occasions. That led to his being fired (a decision ultimately upheld by Colorado's supreme court). Arguably Churchill's work never would have received such close scrutiny had he not attracted attention to himself with his dumb remark, but his attempts to portray himself as a victim of political correctness whose free speech was being targeted didn't make the plagiarism any less real.

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am reminded of Ward Churchill, a Colorado professor of Native American studies who caused a furor in 2005 by referring to 9/11 victims as "little Eichmanns". The public outcry about his remarks led to people taking a closer look at his scholarship, and he was found to have plagiarized on multiple occasions. That led to his being fired (a decision ultimately upheld by Colorado's supreme court). Arguably Churchill's work never would have received such close scrutiny had he not attracted attention to himself with his dumb remark, but his attempts to portray himself as a victim of political correctness whose free speech was being targeted didn't make the plagiarism any less real.

Chicago mobster Al Capone was also taken down and went to jail ( where he died ) not for any of the myriad of violent murders and other hideous violent crimes he committed over the decades, but for not paying his full measure of taxes to the IRS. Had he lawfully paid his taxes like the rest of us, Capone might've drawn his last breath at home in his peaceful sleep, for all any of us know. For some, the mere fact that this very wealthy man did not pay his fair share of taxes was enough reason alone they were glad he was found guilty and wound up in prison for life. Ok... but we're all glad Capone wound up there, thats what all civilized people agreed upon, and was the bottom line.

Now, back to the thread discussion of GH/ Cadets....,.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, dbc03 said:

You are forgetting about compounding interest, he would have significantly more than $250k.

LOL.  OK.  I'll bite even at the risk of baiting...

(Even in you presume GH earned $175,000 every year for 30 years, and saved 5% ($8750) per year EVERY year...)

You could go HERE and input these variables: Number of Periods: 30, Starting amount: $1, Interest rate: 7% (savings rate!  Remember that?),  Periodic Deposit: $8750 

Then come back here and edit your post to prevent misleading the math-deficient among us.  Even using these unrealistically-beneficial-to-your-argument numbers, the total doesn't get to $1mm.

Brasso's typically argumentative responses actually made more sense than yours.  (OK - whateva', Brasso.)

Now, for some fun with the benefit of frequency when considering compounding, change the variables to be: 360 payments, $1 starting amount, interest at .5833 (1/12 of 7%), and $750 periodic payment (8750/12), and calculate.

The benefit of MONTHLY compounding vs. ANNUAL compounding is over $88,000 in 30 years.  BTW, this works in reverse for money owed, too.  If one makes a regular home mortgage payment but, instead of monthly it's paid weekly, the amount of interest savings over the life of the mortgage is very substantial.

Now, back to whether or not GH is a "likely" millionaire.  My suspicion is that Rice made the comment to capitalize on the class-envy fomenting now prevalent in the greater society to attempt to make him worse than he actually is.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

Brasso's typically argumentative responses actually made more sense than yours.  (OK - whateva', Brasso.)

Well, I certainly won't allow myself to be be further baited into your " argumentative responses " with other DCP posters on here today, garfield... You're on your own..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

No need to be hostile, I said it would be significantly more than $250k. ~$800k is significantly more than $250k, and that is assuming he didn't have YEA matching his contributions (no clue what kind of retirement plan he gave himself). I would also argue that using the national average savings rate isn't valid because people who make more money tend to save more. Whether he did or not I don't know, but it isn't very hard to have a million dollars if you were making $175k a year for the last 30 years (which I agree, he wasn't).

More importantly I wasn't disagreeing with the premise of your argument, I was just making a minor correction to the math.

• Like 1

The 3rd party audit will determine what income GH made off Drum Corps/ YEA. Nobody  should just  automatically assume the $175,000 figure is even accurate any more, imo. Not when his statements that all these 11 women's actions with him over 3 decades are either not entirely accurate, or are all total falsehoods according to his remarks in the Media. Everything he touched of a financial nature there should be under scrutiny now, imo. And from published reports from both DCI HQ, and the new YEA BOD, ...will be.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1