The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

The decision made by Penn is not fair, but it is not surprising either. This is how many institutions would deal with this matter. My guess is it at the advice of legal counsel.

There is not much we can do, but this is where I think it will be critical that we  are careful in what is said online and in public. People Google all the time and we don’t know who reads what. Posting as few if any thoughts on the former director is a start. Cadets need to move beyond his shadow and even if what is said is negative, it still makes him present. This also includes shows. The former director was a favorite topic at shows. If the new leadership makes a bad call and it does not involve the safety of the marching members or the survival of the corps, Cut some slack. Anyone who knows that any person who has responsibilities for others makes mistakes their first year and the director and board may make a few. Alums who are music directors in school programs and have a say in purchasing may want to pressure their vendors who also support Cadets to keep doing so, because that could be the next shoe to drop. These are just my thoughts, but much of what I have said I learned from cleaning up the mess of sexual abuse. 

Edited by Tim K

Just now, Tim K said:

The decision made by Penn is not fair, but it is not surprising either. This is how many institutions would deal with this matter, especially one that has been burned by criminal sexual activity. My guess is it at the advice of legal counsel.

Are you confusing UPenn with Penn State? I almost posted something about the irony and then realized this article was about Franklin Field Penn and not Happy Valley Penn State. Or has UPenn had its own issues too? Most universities have.

2 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

Are you confusing UPenn with Penn State? I almost posted something about the irony and then realized this article was about Franklin Field Penn and not Happy Valley Penn State. Or has UPenn had its own issues too? Most universities have.

2 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

Yes I am,  my mistake and I fixed it. Thanks.

Edited by Tim K

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its no more complicated than that. Penn never said " Never " either. They stipulated this June... next month. What happens in the future between YEA and Schools is really unknowable at the moment. It all could turn out well in the future  for both YEA and even DCI itself for all anybody knows at the moment. Only time will really tell.

Exactly, and due to the fact that this thing has open been in the public about a month, they are leaning on the side of caution on their end, which I don't blame them for. Nowhere in the article did it say that there would be no chance of working together again, it's all worded for the current status of the situation.

1 minute ago, Peel Paint said:

Penn has had its sets of crazy issues over the years.

This one was huge BITD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo_incident

1 hour ago, dans said:

I didn't choose my words very carefully when I said they "overreacted." I completely understand why they did what they did. At some point, my hope is that people will stop holding the current Cadets responsible for the actions of one disturbed individual.

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't think people are holding current Cadets responsible. Unfortunately they may get caught up in some of the fallout of the Hopkins issue through no fault of their own. 

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Yes I am,  my mistake.

No problem, I almost made the same mistake too. The rest of your post I agree with. I think most of us would say that with GH and other key people gone, Cadets will have an incident-free summer in 2018, but I don't blame any organization for being more cautious this year than we would be.

16 minutes ago, Peel Paint said:

has UPenn had its own issues too? Most universities have.

Sexual Abuse/ Sexual Harrassment is not kept out of Ivy League Universities ( or the Large Publics. Religious ) simply because they have built themselves very tall and very thick walls. With security cameras, 24-7 manned gate surveillance, etc found around almost every corner on their campus. These unsavory criminal activities of all stripes have been done by their employees, their professors, their administrators, etc from time to time on their campuses. So of course the " Univ. of Penn. " too.

Edited by BRASSO

University of Pennsylvania confusion with Pennsylvania State University? Yeah people who live in PA do it too lol. Hell I keep forgetting Franklin Field is part of the school and not a municipal field. 

• Like 1