The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well I am delighted it will be somewhere else. 

Better parking, for sure.  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Obviously (to most people) I chose a creative hypothetical to make a point.  The perpetrator is gone.  This action does not impact the perpetrator, but further harms people who have already been harmed by him.

Also, remember how some of the victims said they didn't say anything before because they were reluctant to hurt the organization they love?  This is one of the ways the organization can be hurt, so taking these kinds of actions may play a role in discouraging future victims from coming forward.  

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Obviously (to most people) I chose a creative hypothetical to make a point.  The perpetrator is gone.  This action does not impact the perpetrator, but further harms people who have already been harmed by him.

Also, remember how some of the victims said they didn't say anything before because they were reluctant to hurt the organization they love?  This is one of the ways the organization can be hurt, so taking these kinds of actions may play a role in discouraging future victims from coming forward.  

If it was a creative hypothetical, wouldn't it involve 2 groups not associated like Penn and Yea! Your "creative hypothetical" was basically the Larry Nasser event at MSU or Jerry Sandusky at PSU, as I already pointed out, and we have seen how universities react when their employees behave in such a manner.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Sexual Abuse/ Sexual Harrassment is not kept out of Ivy League Universities ( or the Large Publics. Religious ) simply because they have built themselves very tall and very thick walls. With security cameras, 24-7 manned gate surveillance, etc found around almost every corner on their campus. These unsavory criminal activities of all stripes have been done by their employees, their professors, their administrators, etc from time to time on their campuses. So of course the " Univ. of Penn. " too.

Even the Emperor needed a private place in which he could change into his "new clothes"...

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but just read a book about a woman who was killed at PSU in 1969 (Murder In The Stacks). Parallels between then and Sandusky are way too close as profs/admin chose to slump off what was done like anything at PSU could never be wrong. Just a sad insight into the mindset of institutions or organizations. Reminder that rules may be changed but still have to get people connected to a group to realize that it CAN happen there and their crap can stink at times. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

45 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

If it was a creative hypothetical, wouldn't it involve 2 groups not associated like Penn and Yea! Your "creative hypothetical" was basically the Larry Nasser event at MSU or Jerry Sandusky at PSU, as I already pointed out, and we have seen how universities react when their employees behave in such a manner.

Sorry, I was unaware that the girls on the MSU gymnastics team had been barred from competing or staying anywhere, after the departure of Nasser, because of his actions when there.  Imho, that would not be the right thing to do, whether other institutions have done it or not.  The kids have suffered enough.  

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, OrlandoContraAlum said:

Came here for the first time in a long time, was similarly surprised that you had just posted this. As I mentioned elsewhere, I doubt that this is a problem limited to the Cadets, and I hope that our entire activity does some deep soul searching on this matter. I hope that every incidence is completely and fairly investigated, and any proven offenders are punished severely, including lifetime bans from the activity. 

Anything less than that could mean the end of our activity. 

I can agree BUT let's just remember the court of public opinion can often be wrong. Let the process go through for ANYONE

This is not saying accusers should not be heard but that should apply to everyone. I know this activity inside out and anything less would not be justice. Confusion for some ( not victims of course ) goes far beyond sometimes what the actual innocent may be. I pointed that out in a recent post with someone I believe used this serious subject to say " Now maybe Cadets will do entertaining shows )

Not good and not relevant 

Edited by GUARDLING

32 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Sorry, I was unaware that the girls on the MSU gymnastics team had been barred from competing or staying anywhere, after the departure of Nasser, because of his actions when there.  Imho, that would not be the right thing to do, whether other institutions have done it or not.  The kids have suffered enough.  

I agree that the kids have suffered enough, but I also respect a university wanting to distance themselves from an organization who's Executive Director, still a month ago, was a person who sexually assaulted women. 

Again, Penn reacted to the situation about a month ago, as this was all beginning, and has not said they will never work with the organization, but at this time won't. 

The members are unfortunately going to be hurt by the heinous ######## caused by GH, but to be honest that's simply collateral damage. Sucks for the kids and fans, but a completely understandable and acceptable situation.

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

If Penn had such an incident occur with a professor of their own, would they refuse to teach all the students of that professor due to their "association", even after the professor is gone?  Would they shut their own school down so as to no longer be associated with themselves?

Like any university, UPenn has had their own incidents...

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/01/graduate-student-education-sexual-harassment-policy-upenn-penn-ivy-league-getup-union

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/01/sexual-harassment-survey-philadelphia-penn-schools-higher-ed-ivy-university

http://projects.34st.com/2017/12/assault-narratives/