The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Time  move on to new, more current things happening re. this issue now, imo. Besides,  GH eventually terminated this hire of his after the guys checkered past hit the social media anyway. So he's gone. Been gone for a year.  Its old news.  A continued  rehash now would go nowhere but invite revisits of entrenched positions on this anyway. Thats no fun. So. I'm moving on from this thread till something new and current on the topic pops up.

Agree we need to move on, but one question:  If an individual doesn't show up in a computerized search, how would a Corps know his/her background is such that they should not be hired?

Again, it is a bigger problem than just Drum Corps /MB.  Consider the convicted felon the USAF didn't enter into the 'No Gun' database - much more horrific results, but the problem is the same.

2 hours ago, Peel Paint said:

A couple people expressed worry that Hop may sue YEA for wrongful termination. I don't think he successfully can do that. He resigned.

He was actually fired for cause by the new board of directors. No severance. No nothing. He may sue as you state. However, this may not be the best use of what has to be limited resources at his disposal at this time given the preponderance of evidence against him along with the push by DCI and sponsors for a complete housecleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Actually Kanye is a perfect example 

i agree optics are important, very. Particularly for yea at this stage 

Howecer this topic is extremely important.  But individuals in this thread are misrepresenting the situation surrounding atchison to suit their personal agenda/narrative

anyone who then disagrees with them is accused of “excusing” abuse.

It’s disgraceful. IMHO

Or, literally, corrects facts with first-hand knowledge...

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Here we go again. He hid a camera in a space where kids were known to change. Is there any dispute of this statement?  That, alone, is enough for me. Tell me how I misrepresent the situation in this one sentence of mine in this post. 

You should PM me.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I’m not defending that in anyway nor am I going to be drawn into that discussion 

what concerns me here is individuals who clearly have zero first person or even limited second hand knowledge of that particular situation “shouting down” or “bullying” highly respected members of this board 

I couldn't find a way to publicly respond to him here.  He's rational with first-person.

This thread has run its course for the moment. We will be cleaning it up shortly. 

• Thanks 4

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Actually no I have a relative who was in the cabs in the mid 70s and they were 18 BUT it was a big deal and rare

After the  71 season, Garfield fired our marvelous drum instructor George Tuthill, at which point a good portion of the drumline quit and joined the Cabs, where George was also the drum guy. None of us were aged out of Garfield...not even close, actually, I was 18 in the fall of 71.

I left with them and checked out the Cabs. George had me slated to play double conga, along with at least one other Garfield tri-tom player who came along. In fact the Cabs did a Giant 1/2-time at Yankee Stadium (the Giant's home at the time) that fall, and I got to march the show (71 show) and carry around the congas. We sat on folding chairs out near the monuments in center field.

I decided that with my college music ed classes and other stuff, I would rather stay in Garfield, so I went back and picked up baritone. Don Angelica was our primary brass instructor. I decided not to play drums for the new guy who Don had hired to be Bergenfeld HS's band director. Don was Bergenfield's personnel director at the time, which made the job placement of this new guy easy. 

I mean, who would want to play in a drumline taught by this new guy Fred Sanford?    :wall:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7