The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

This hurts to read.  

“I just got my clothes and got dressed and went home,” Beyer said. “And I got in the shower until I ran out of hot water. I brushed and flossed my teeth about 20 times. And then I just got in bed and cried.”

In the months that followed, she said, she was a shell of herself She wore sweatpants to work most days, self conscious of her body. She turned down social engagements. She snapped at colleagues, succumbing to what she said had become a toxic work environment.

Beyer said she was fired in 2009.

Then and for years following, she said, she buried the trauma. She said she spoke to a therapist in 2012 about what had happened. The therapist confirmed that Beyer in 2012 confided in her about being raped by a boss years before. Beyer’s mother also confirmed her daughter told her several years ago that she was raped by Hopkins.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm still pessimistic that the organization will survive - just being realistic. But, this direction does give them a fighting chance to make it. This will be a battle fought by the leadership and new board, the performers will have no impact on that battle. Hopefully they can stay focused and put out a great show this year. It's very wise to do a financial review and make sure that a successful season is possible. It looks like they're doing things right. IMO, the biggest potential peril is that donations dry up. Not because alumni, I assume they're the greatest source of donations, don't support the organization, but if lawsuits happen people don't want to donate money to help pay off lawsuits, they want to support the corps. That's my analysis from the outside. Hope they make it, killing the current BoD is the best move I've seen so far.

I read this reply and wanted to quote Kyle B’s responsemas well, but my iPad is acting funny tonight. I do think your points are well taken, and Kyle has points, though he is very optimistic, perhaps a little too optimistic, but what he states is  not impossible. I have every confidence that the drum corps community will do everything it can to help the corps survive. Corporate sponsors could be a different matter and non-corporate donors may not make up the difference. 

My thoughts to keep your concerns from happening and making Kyle’s optimism a reality: get the corps on the field this summer and comply with DCI’s requirements as well as basic common sense, and during the summer either dissolve YEA or start a new parent organization and split the Cadets and maybe C2 from YEA beginning in September, 2018.That may be the only way to restore confidence.

YEA isn't going anywhere, especially with this new board, one that has many alumni on it.

8 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I do apologize, it was super snarky.  One of those things were you think something is funny and forget to turn on the ######## filter.

good form.. everythings cool... I like reading your comments on here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, you as well BRASSO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Man.... Oh.... If that happened.... It's been years since I did any Grade A Heckling.... It would be too easy. :innocent:

Pretty sure that the last time I did any Grade A Heckling at a drum corps show, the recipient of said heckling was one George Hopkins. It was at the Rose Bowl and he was on the field #####ing about hash marks.

Edited by oldsoprano
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, oldsoprano said:

Pretty sure that the last tie I did any Grade A Heckling at a drum corps show, the recipient of said heckling was one George Hopkins. It was at the Rose Bowl and he was on the field #####ing about hash marks.

Oh yeah, I was there, too.  

Just now, oldsoprano said:

Pretty sure that the last tie I did any Grade A Heckling at a drum corps show, the recipient of said heckling was one George Hopkins. It was at the Rose Bowl and he was on the field #####ing about hash marks.

To be fair, the grounds crew WAS supposed to reline the field before they came out....given the drill that year, the references were important for the kids.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Your snark skills are more impressive than DCA's brief statement. But thats not saying much, I know.

I do agree with you however that the DCA statement is not good.  He was officially their director for the last couple of years, even though it was really being directed by someone else, it still does concern a high profile person in a very recent past champion.  Maybe its a mixture that all of the alleged incidents happened with Cadets and not C2, and all of them (that have been reported) occurred before the creation of C2, but probably could have had a little more bite to the statement, but then again, DCA does not have full-time staff as far as I know unlike DCI.

Edited by Kyle B

16 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

Pretty sure that the last time I did any Grade A Heckling at a drum corps show, the recipient of said heckling was one George Hopkins. It was at the Rose Bowl and he was on the field #####ing about hash marks.

Were you the guy that yelled "Tacky Tacky Ta" at the 2000 finals when Phantom pulled out the herald trumpets? (I've always been on the search for that guy. Heh.)

Edited by cybersnyder