The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As for Boston's show, one curious thing last year was how the audience seemed to want the "witch" to burn. Nobody seemed upset by the ending.

If she hadn't been such a witch, it might be a different story.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Even though witches never burned.

And West said NOTHING inaccurate; Legend is an idiot. ;-)

It's all mob mentality and it is VERY much on topic on this important conversation.

Yeah, nearly every time I mentioned last season that Salem's "witches" were hanged (and in one famous instance, pressed) rather than burned, the response was, not unreasonably, that I shouldn't be a historical pedant (and that burning was more visually effective). So I probably shouldn't pedantically point out the several historical inaccuracies put forward lately by Kanye; good on Van Lathan for speaking up, though.

As for the idea of a mob mentality, I would say that it can work both for and against sexual harassers. Note how longtime CBS and PBS journalist Charlie Rose, who was fired in disgrace last fall after a handful of credible, serious allegations of sexual harassment came out, was revealed in a new Washington Post story today to have 27 new accusers, with complaints stretching decades, and producers who were warned about him. What kind of "mob mentality" must there have been among the network executives to have protected Rose for so long?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

But I will insist - FOREVER - that our laws are not bastardized by personal opinion that's not backed by law.  When that breaks down, we are doomed.

So what you're saying is, we're doomed. Thanks Downer Debbie. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, nearly every time I mentioned last season that Salem's "witches" were hanged (and in one famous instance, pressed) rather than burned, the response was, not unreasonably, that I shouldn't be a historical pedant (and that burning was more visually effective). So I probably shouldn't pedantically point out the several historical inaccuracies put forward lately by Kanye; good on Van Lathan for speaking up, though.

As for the idea of a mob mentality, I would say that it can work both for and against sexual harassers. Note how longtime CBS and PBS journalist Charlie Rose, who was fired in disgrace last fall after a handful of credible, serious allegations of sexual harassment came out, was revealed in a new Washington Post story today to have 27 new accusers, with complaints stretching decades, and producers who were warned about him. What kind of "mob mentality" must there have been among the network executives to have protected Rose for so long?

The “mob” certainly empowers victims, certainly the case in terms of Hopkins

its a wonderful thing in this case

The Hopkins situation is just disgusting and I’m so delighted Cadets are rid of him 

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

He has zero chance of winning a suit. Zero 

But you can still go broke defending yourself against a frivolous lawsuit. Depends how long the other person wants to drag it out.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Actually Kanye is a perfect example 

i agree optics are important, very. Particularly for yea at this stage 

Howecer this topic is extremely important.  But individuals in this thread are misrepresenting the situation surrounding atchison to suit their personal agenda/narrative

anyone who then disagrees with them is accused of “excusing” abuse.

It’s disgraceful. IMHO

To quote Obi Wan, “you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.”

I think I’ve seen some that here, on both sides. It seems like there’s also been a concerted effort by some to completely dismiss his past history as irrelevant, based on the fact that he petitioned after-the-fact to have it dismissed. But, as I mentioned earlier, it was not for lack of merit, but simply a statutory relief available to anyone convicted of this type of misdemeanor. Were his motives nefarious? I don’t know. But I don’t think it’s crazy to want to discuss the matter when someone works in a teaching position. If he were a brick layer, maybe not so much. But he was in a very public position, teaching. In that view, I don’t think discussion was entirely without merit.

Does it matter so much now, in this thread? I don’t know. Maybe you have a point— he resigned, Hop was fired, the board is gone, let’s move on. Okay. But I don’t completely understand the immediate pushback that the discussion received. (Unless it was simply the approach. Or one glaring factual inaccuracy, which I do get.)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Actually Kanye is a perfect example 

i agree optics are important, very. Particularly for yea at this stage 

Howecer this topic is extremely important.  But individuals in this thread are misrepresenting the situation surrounding atchison to suit their personal agenda/narrative

anyone who then disagrees with them is accused of “excusing” abuse.

It’s disgraceful. IMHO

Here we go again. He hid a camera in a space where kids were known to change. Is there any dispute of this statement?  That, alone, is enough for me. Tell me how I misrepresent the situation in this one sentence of mine in this post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You really  have to have your ducks lined up in a row if you’re going to go that route. Having a lot of baggage wouldn’t encourage many attorneys to take on such a case. 

Well it has been 20 plus years lol. No one even sure where the minister at the time is at today. And grabby Sammy didn't know a local cop was hiding in the closet in case Sammy got physical.  So there was a witness to hear the conversation when he got told to stop.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

He has zero chance of winning a suit. Zero 

That’s a profound statement. What’s the odds on that? I may want in. 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Even though witches never burned

and West said NOTHING inaccurate 

legend is an idiot ;-)

its all mob mentality and it is VERY much on topic on this important conversation 

I never liked mobs ... they get together and spontaniously flash dance and stuff ... no flag spins ... no rifle tosses 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1