The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well "all this talk" was just a question, and it's been asked and answered. So we can drop it as far as I'm concerned. As far as the "allegations," I'm not willing to wait to "hear them out." Too many people have made these accusations for them not to be true, and too many times, the victims are not believed.

Sadly, I don't think he has" left the building" yet.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I think that part of the BoD's responsibility is to assure the continuation of the organization for the benefit of the members.  I can see that Cadets' BoD members could have surmised that, in the absence of a specific accusation upon which to make a rebuttal statement or justify a removal , their obligation was to the smooth continuity of the (what they perceived as) positive impact on their MM's.

I want to comment on this “for the benefit of the members” thing. 

Before the 80’s, most members came from the geographic area where a corps was from. The idea of flying across the country to join another corps was alien.  Membership continuity from year to year was high  

Not anymore. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if the majority of contracted Cadets this year didn’t march with them last year. So to say this was all for the benefit of a group of people that is fluid every year, rings false to me.  

Membership is a revolving door. The organization is not.  

It’s more likely they did it to attract members under a false pretense than any concern for them as people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Not one woman and from what I can see, not one teacher, nor a person in human services such as a social worker, youth worker, or member of the clergy. There is a doctor, but for these matters to be resolved, you need a woman’s point of view as well as input from people in human services who have their feet on the ground. 

To be fair,  there is a little bit that will fit one of those categories you listed above.

They've got 2 Doctors, a CEO, a Informatics guy,  an attorney, an Apple Manager who USED to be a music teacher and Computer teacher,  A strategic Communications Executive,  an Executive Vice president (MBA), Technology Manager, and Gary Stromberg may be this music public relations guy (https://www.garystromberg.net/about_bio.html)

I'm not sure it's necessary to have medical doctors on board; it may be better to have PHD and MBA types on a board...

No women though, but I'm sure that happens a lot. So, I have no idea, but I don't believe that you need clergy, social workers on the board. Just an alternate opinion.

You can have them in the organization, but I'm not sure they would have the right skills for a board.

33 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

My heart goes out to all the victims and to the 2018 members. The door is open Mr. Hopkins. Please just go and save the victims and the Cadets anymore pain.

2 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Sadly, I don't think he has" left the building" yet.

According to the New York Times, and YEA, he has already stepped down.

Drum Corps Leader Steps Down

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

According to the New York Times, and YEA, he has already stepped down.

Drum Corps Leader Steps Down

:cheer::biggrin::dancin:

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He told us he answered an ad in Drum Corps World.  He said he had worked at DCI with Dan Acheson beforehand. 

Some of us heard he also demonstrated the ability to enter thru the interview door to meet with GH on his right foot. So he at least had that going for himself too, Terri.

Oh man. I know we make light of this, but its really not all that funny. A REAL BOD is supposed to have oversight responsibilities, and lots of experiences and qualifications that are suitable for the important position.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Some of us heard he also demonstrated the ability to enter thru the interview door to meet with GH on his right foot. So he at least had that going for himself too, Jim.

Oh man. I know we make light of this, but its really not all that funny. A REAL BOD is supposed to have oversight responsibilities, and lots of experiences and qualifications that are suitable for the important position.

Not funny at all. Horrific is a good word. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You should have heard me on our way back to the hotel after the show...

I’m pretty sure that’s the voice running through my head right now.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1