The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

So does anyone read DCW anymore? I would think someone would notice an ad looking for board member applicants and think it was weird. Maybe someone should ask DCP if they ever sold an ad for such purpose. I do believe and have said that I think that the board existed only because they legally had but I don't know that I would believe it would be filled by a newspaper ad. Board positions are supposed to be voted on by members, not applied for and awarded like a job.

I can’t help what you believe and I can understand you’re having a difficult time believing Terri, however I found it difficult to believe when he was telling us how he became Mr. Peabody Chairmen of the Cadets BOD’s. We looked at each with this okay look on our face. Email him yourself and ask him directly because he didn’t seem hesitant to tell us. 

3 hours ago, chaddyt said:

Did some LinkedIn browsing.... The only board member that appears to have any connection to the marching arts is Roger Floreska.  He was a band director for about 5 years, ending in 2001.  The majority of the rest seem to be in positions that could not be further from youth, education, and/or arts.

... so weird that they botched this.

Tim is an alumnus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exitmusic said:

a lot nicer than the Facebook post i saw tonight from a Cadets drum major from the 70's. Same request, but this is far nicer

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

I think the new directors of the corps know what needs to be done, but the board controls them not the other way around

i'm pretty sure the board is being ignored right now

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

So does anyone read DCW anymore? I would think someone would notice an ad looking for board member applicants and think it was weird. Maybe someone should ask DCP if they ever sold an ad for such purpose. I do believe and have said that I think that the board existed only because they legally had but I don't know that I would believe it would be filled by a newspaper ad. Board positions are supposed to be voted on by members, not applied for and awarded like a job.

it's a digital publication distributed to thousands

Haven't read through all the comments today so I'm not sure if anyone's posted this, but Oregon Crusaders issued a response to the article:

https://dcinewsnetwork.tumblr.com/post/172673415042/breaking-the-oregon-crusaders-response-to-the

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, furious-winter said:

Haven't read through all the comments today so I'm not sure if anyone's posted this, but Oregon Crusaders issued a response to the article:

https://dcinewsnetwork.tumblr.com/post/172673415042/breaking-the-oregon-crusaders-response-to-the

There is a separate thread for Corps Responses below... but posting it here seems fine too, imo.

I am saddened to hear this, not for the sake of GH, eventhough I would contend that such behavior is an illness so there is an understanding of empathy, but still should have consequences for actions. Having been a victim of sexual abuse, and working in substance abuse and mental health, the effects of sexual abuse, harassment and other forms of trauma are lasting ones. When one comes forward with accusations, they should be believed, it is rare that they are NOT telling the truth.   I am saddened for the activity, and hope that this is not widespread, but if so, needs to be addressed.  I do love the activity of drum corps- an outlet of entertainment for me, but a chance for younger people to be involved in something positive.  I do wish the Cadets organization and alum the ability to heal and move on to a new chapter. 

• Like 3