The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

There is a separate thread for Corps Responses below... but posting it here seems fine too, imo.

Just saw that. Thanks. It's posted there, so I'm sure a mod can delete it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fsthnds said:

How many school principals or superintendents will be instructing their band directors to have NO FURTHER AFFILIATION with US Bands once they hear this story??????

They have to.  I’ve been a superintendent and this is a PR disaster waiting to happen. Just about every district’s mission statement talks about providing a safe environment for students.  You don’t follow those principles you have no business leading a school.  The affiliation alone will bring question after question. I fear USBands will not survive this.  That ship sailed back in January.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

what scares me about this:

the rumor was ablaze at the Januals. It was the worst kept secret. yet they say they didn't know. details? No. Call and say "um hey we heard...." yes, should have happened.

And that’s another big concern for me. From what I hear this was already the big news back at the Januals. All of sudden everyone is scrambling to show they are making the effort to take this topic serious. Speculation only, but it seems DCI was ready for this to hit the fan and already had a statement ready to go, thus the quick response compared to Yea!  It was professionally written and one I am quite familiar with trying to do damage control anytime it comes time to working with youth. I love this activity but it deserves all that’s coming to it if this blows up more. My heart and support are with the victims. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyt said:

Did some LinkedIn browsing.... The only board member that appears to have any connection to the marching arts is Roger Floreska.  He was a band director for about 5 years, ending in 2001.  The majority of the rest seem to be in positions that could not be further from youth, education, and/or arts.

... so weird that they botched this.

I work for a non-profits arts organization that is larger than YEA. We have about 60 board members. Almost none of them--and none of the board leadership--have experience in our field. They are all local philanthropists and business leaders who believe in our mission. In that regard, we are fairly typical of organizations in our field.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, drummergirl said:

That piece, which is a little sloppy, cites this very DCP thread, including this post by mingusmonk with screenshots of Atchison's and Hopkins's comment from last year.

We will be convening a task force to present actionable initiatives within 30 days for implementation by the Board and Staff including new policies, training and advocacy.

This quote, from the new YEA CEO, makes it sound like the Board is going nowhere.

Not impressed.

Must do better.

If they want to retain US Bands as a funding mechanism, they need to be moving NOW.  Schools setting their fall schedules do not have time to wait a couple months to see how things play out.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I guess that still has to be determined, DCI also needs the time to do an internal investigation to determine just when they were informed of these allegations. Their DCI press release yesterday says " recently ". However, it is rather curious that the DCI meetings in January, with the Corps Directors, was spent with a lot of time on the very issues of " policies and procedures " regarding these very issues. So it seems to me anyway, that quite a few people in the DCI winter meetings had a pretty good idea of what was about to hit their doorsteps pretty shortly.

See, this is where details and semantics make the difference.

"Recently" is too broad.

The DCI meetings in January with the corps directors were not where this topic was discussed in-depth.  It was January and it was in Indy, but it did not involve "the corps directors" in official meetings discussing this topic.  Over beers after meetings I suspect the topic was bantered around.

And the discussions at hand were not about this specific case and, to my ear, there was only one reference to Cadets in organized meetings and the reference was to their recent hire (who, turns out, was just about to tender his resignation), not the ED.

This is what I've tried to be consistent on, Brasso.  The words you use here are important in their meaning and context.  On this subject, special care should be used to get the reference right and not embellish them or their meaning with your opinion, otherwise someone begins to believe, just through repetition, erroneous things like they were "required by protocol" to report to DCI the instant the contention was made and that they didn't is somehow illegal and adds to their "guilt".

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a lot nicer than the Facebook post i saw tonight from a Cadets drum major from the 70's. Same request, but this is far nicer

I'd sign as a Music Educator but I'm not affiliated with US Bands....