The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

This mess is making me wonder if YEA should be halted for a year or two while they rebuild?  This is a major issue and distraction from what they are supposed to be doing on a day to day basis.  I realize there will be collateral damage in making a decision like that, but I think they need to do more than just "pump the brakes" to correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcm_alum said:

This mess is making me wonder if YEA should be halted for a year or two while they rebuild?  This is a major issue and distraction from what they are supposed to be doing on a day to day basis.  I realize there will be collateral damage in making a decision like that, but I think they need to do more than just "pump the brakes" to correct.

In such crisis, there does need a time to stop, regroup, and plan. Using only my experience in education, the orginization must continue to go on. The problem was caused by the actions of one person and the possible dropping of the ball of that person’s bosses.  Although there needs to be respect to the personnel matter at hand, transparency and consistent updates of what Yea can share is the only way to gain trust back with the public. 

I would prefer the Cadets keep moving forward but should Yea halt everything, I would hope the activity would help those members get into another corps. And I’m not talking about Divison II/III or lower placing corps, who I respect immensely. I’m talking about the Top 12 allowing these top 12 performers into your ranks.  DCI could think outside the box and maybe for just this year allow an increase in membership (I know the bus capacity issue).  Maybe the drill forms will be a little wonky and a corps may not score as well due to changes to allow the extra members. 

I don’t think this is a year where we should be focusing on winning and competition but on healing our activity and supporting one another.  I understand this may not be the season the 2018 members of all the corps was expecting but I feel this can be our greatest season.  Kids can be powerful in that way. 

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I work for a non-profits arts organization that is larger than YEA. We have about 60 board members. Almost none of them--and none of the board leadership--have experience in our field. They are all local philanthropists and business leaders who believe in our mission. In that regard, we are fairly typical of organizations in our field.

Guess it’s par for the course then. Regardless, they still need to go. 

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That piece, which is a little sloppy, cites this very DCP thread, including this post by mingusmonk with screenshots of Atchison's and Hopkins's comment from last year.

I’ve laughed a lot since I brought the topic up. #### Hop.... I scooped this and the G7. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly want to get involved because I am a woman who was a Cadet and I am currently earning my MBA. If they scrap this board of directors I wanna be the first on the new one. Dag nabit anyone know how I can do this?! Hahaha

I need to get involved in some way. This is too important and too prevalent in our society. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Ello said:

I honestly want to get involved because I am a woman who was a Cadet and I am currently earning my MBA. If they scrap this board of directors I wanna be the first on the new one. Dag nabit anyone know how I can do this?! Hahaha

I need to get involved in some way. This is too important and too prevalent in our society. 

Contact Sean 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Contact Sean 

Yes, go directly to Sean.  Send an email and maybe leave him a message that you did so.

I'd lay you odds he, or somebody, is keeping a list.

Do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, go directly to Sean.  Send an email and maybe leave him a message that you did so.

I'd lay you odds he, or somebody, is keeping a list.

Do it.

Done! Thanks for the encouragement! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1