The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m sure when the paper publishes tomorrow’s follow up, the panic mode of the last 2 days will multiply exponentially 

Rule #1 of crisis management 

get ahead of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m sure when the paper publishes tomorrow’s follow up, the panic mode of the last 2 days will multiply exponentially 

You're such a tease. What is it going to say?

1 hour ago, SurfCub said:

This is a situation I hope would behoove this band director to move to another competition circuit in NJ. Out of respect for his wife and the benefit of his schools music program.

But why?  My point was that the band director was well aware of the issue (his wife even taught visual at times for the band and accompanied them to USBands events) .. and THEY made the personal decision that it did not warrant boycotting USBands.    What exactly has changed for the worse?  I have to imagine in most people's minds things have changed for the better.    And I can tell you that the bands' parents [I was Pres. of their Booster org. the last two years] have never even heard of George Hopkins or have any knowledge of the internal workings of USBands, so I can't imagine they will be clamoring for any boycott.

It's as if everyone grabbed their pitchforks and torches, and now won't be satisfied until they've burned and poked everything in sight.   For better of worse, at least in my neck of the woods, USBands has the existing framework and process to run the most relevant competition curcuit, and I really have not heard any good reason to abandon that because of the actions of one person who has now been removed from the organization

• Like 2

There's another thread about corps responding to the Inquirer article.

They all mention policies/procedures they have concerning this type of situation.

Does anyone know if The Cadets had similar rules in place ?

If so,they didn't seem to help the alleged victims.

Seems to me,it not having rules,its making sure they are followed/enforced.

48 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

A friend just sent me a photo of a stack of "Early Sunday Edition" papers.

The story is FRONT PAGE, ABOVE THE FOLD, FULL-PAGE WITH GIANT PHOTO AND SCREAMING HEADLINE.  

Basically the only thing under the masthead.

Oh boy....  :tic:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

The story is FRONT PAGE, ABOVE THE FOLD, FULL-PAGE WITH GIANT PHOTO AND SCREAMING HEADLINE.  

My goodness.  Just installed the app. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

9 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

So unfortunate.. This bad publicity is NOT good publicity for Drum Corps, and YEA could have prevented this from going national like this if they had only acted promptly and efficiently when they received the detalis of these abuses spanning decades. Plus, the victims could have been spared the national publicity as well as the victim blaming criticism that they did not " cooperate " with YEA in their internal " vigorous " investigation of YEA's former CEO with these charges.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

One would assume that the current YEA Board, while still there, would have the legal (and common ) sense to instruct the resigned CEO there that he is to to stay away from schools, camps, offices, practice facilities where the Cadets organization current members will be, and where these alleged sexual crimes occured. Failure to do that, would likewise potentially present the YEA Board even further legal problems one would think. Since there is still an on going investigation into his behaviors, the YEA  BOD might be also wise to make sure they have no further written, verbal, phone, etc communication from here on out during the investigation period between the resigned former Executive Director and themselves, nor he with them. Let their respective lawyers handle any communication that might need to take place between YEA and its former CEO.  But... I suppose thats something this organization ( and perhaps DCI ) will have to decide on now moving forward.

Hell he lives across the street from the office

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

There are some early indications into this sorry saga with YEA/ Cadets, that the victims will not be pursuing civil damages from YEA for these reprehensible behaviors if this matter is handled correctly moving forward. If so, this gives the new YEA a lifeline to perhaps be able to rebuild and to repair its damaged current reputation. That would be potentially good news here for all of us who never want to see any DCI Corps fail. But, this organization ( and perhaps DCI ) will need to handle this properly and efficiently moving  forward now. That goes without saying.

Let’s see what the commonwealth of PA decides. They’re very aware

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hell he lives across the street from the office

Then tell him...