The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

What did they want? Not asking sarcastically. 

Presumably for the board to resign. The board is seen as having been selected by Hopkins, and as having done too little when confronted with multiple accusations against him. Were there any camps or rehearsals by Cadets, C2, or YEA's winter program(s) between Jan. 31 and Apr. 5, and if so, was Hopkins permitted to be present for them, despite the board knowing during that time that he had been accused of sexual misconduct by a number of women?

14 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

What did they want? Not asking sarcastically. 

Well, look at his personal life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The MM calling for this? This hasn’t been a part of the conversation my son and his fellow members have been having. Though others may be - I can speak to what he shares with me and at no point have I heard the kids say they won’t match unless the board resigns. For the record I believe the board should but let’s not use the current members as pawns to achieve an end. They want to compete. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

The MM calling for this? This hasn’t been a part of the conversation my son and his fellow members have been having. Though others may be - I can speak to what he shares with me and at no point have I heard the kids say they won’t match unless the board resigns. For the record I believe the board should but let’s not use the current members as pawns to achieve an end. They want to compete. 

Agreed. And they will compete 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

As an FYI, YEA! is a 501c3 organization, checked from their 990. There's another non-profit type tagged as 501c7 which is a membership organization. That's the type that has a larger membership base from which board members are elected.

You can be a 501(c)(3) and be a membership organization that has its board elected by the membership. I know because I work for one that has ~30,000 members.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PeterGibbons said:

You can be a 501(c)(3) and be a membership organization that has its board elected by the membership. I know because I work for one that has ~30,000 members.

Jim was an elected board member of a drum corps back in the early 2000’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Nah. One bad seed doesn't taint the whole barrel.

Nor would ten bad seeds. Do you think it will stop with just the one revelation?

1 hour ago, wallace said:

Drum corps has become so tainted I have to use antibacterial gel after I read this forum.

There have always been issues. Nostalgia softens some of them for us. I think some problems were always around, it's just that in today's society and in the Information Age, word gets out, and spreads very quickly. There are some medical conditions that people think have grown over time, but it's more that people are more aware of the symptoms, or that better screening for that condition is done. It's not that there are more people with it, it's just not as undiagnosed as it used to be.

• Like 1

Read in one article where board claims that no one would come forward as long as GH was still in charge. IOW all they had was anonymous accusations is what they are saying. Hope that part is checked out as could show the integrity of the board.

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Read in one article where board claims that no one would come forward as long as GH was still in charge. IOW all they had was anonymous accusations is what they are saying. Hope that part is checked out as could show the integrity of the board.

That board had no integrity 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1