The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Screw advising/ suggesting. Tell them “ get the #### out”

You reminded me of part of Cromwell's speech to Parliament when he took over England:

"Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

There have always been issues. Nostalgia softens some of them for us. I think some problems were always around, it's just that in today's society and in the Information Age, word gets out, and spreads very quickly. There are some medical conditions that people think have grown over time, but it's more that people are more aware of the symptoms, or that better screening for that condition is done. It's not that there are more people with it, it's just not as undiagnosed as it used to be.

Yep people now are better informed on recognizing and fighting problems like this. Crap like this was hidden in college when I was there in the 70s now studetoget orientation on it. Plus lot of us get annual workplace training also

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Read in one article where board claims that no one would come forward as long as GH was still in charge. IOW all they had was anonymous accusations is what they are saying. Hope that part is checked out as could show the integrity of the board.

That was in the original article on Thursday and the board said as much in their first (awful) statement that night. The victims apparently didn't trust the board to act independently of Hopkins, and the board decided to leave him in place and ... cross their fingers that the accusations would never go public?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Edited to fix typo.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That was in the original article on Thursday and the board said as much in their first (awful) statement that night. The victims apparently didn't trust the board to act independently of Hopkins, and decided to leave him in place and ... cross their fingers that the accusations would never go public?

My darker thought on the board response was did they fully check out everything before blowing it off as ALL was anonymous. Ok I live too close to Penn State and will stop posting my thoughts before I derail things

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

That board had no integrity 

As an outsider, one would like to give the Cadets YEA Board the initial benefit of the doubt regarding their levels of " integrity " on this. But in their first public released response statement, the YEA stated they conducted ( their words)" a professional and vigorous investigation" of these allegations of multiple episodes of sexual abuse .

Sorry, but its just not at all believable that they conducted  a " professional and vigorous investigation ".

That YEA Board has got to go, imo. Every one of them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

On 4/5/2018 at 10:38 AM, dbc03 said:

If George isn't immediately fired then once schools start hearing about this The Cadets are going to have a hard time finding a place to sleep this summer.

The sponsorships they are likely to lose are going to make it hard to pay the bills as well.

George being fired is the absolute minimum that YEA needs to do to weather this and I'd argue that the board needs to go as well.

Think it would make it harder for any corps to find a place as reflects on entire activity. Mindset here is “Cadets were  caught, will we be allowing a group that hasn’t been... yet”.

I watched Paterno on HBO tonight.

a lot of striking things jump out at me . 

Reporters grab onto the initial story of allegations of child rape from a authority figure and don’t let up on it . 

Investigation uncovers that others that knew and when when they knew it and that they looked the other way .

Sandusky was the main target of the investigation but others around him went down for knowing about it or trying to keep the truth from coming to the surface  and or failing to report it when they knew about it , 

• Like 2

Actually it started as one reporter who was getting information from an ignored group (parents of the abused kids). Then she took a ton of abuse from others but stuck to her guns. Later the media storm kicked in. Saying this because could have never been brought to light which could happen anywhere. Don’t have HBO which is a blessing for me as my local paper broke the story.

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually it started as one reporter who was getting information from an ignored group (parents of the abused kids). Then she took a ton of abuse from others but stuck to her guns. Later the media storm kicked in. Saying this because could have never been brought to light which could happen anywhere. Don’t have HBO which is a blessing for me as my local paper broke the story.

I just wonder how many parents complained to Cadets or YEA over the years and it got silenced ? 

It seems we are hearing Bout a bar incident where a father approaches GH about inappropriate behavior . It will be interesting to see how deep this may or may not go . 

• Like 2