The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

That board had no integrity 

The board empowered George to be their firewall to give them plausible deniability. A total abdication of their responsibilities. I cannot believe any of them think they should remain on the board after this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

I just wonder how many parents complained to Cadets or YEA over the years and it got silenced ? 

It seems we are hearing Bout a bar incident where a father approaches GH about inappropriate behavior . It will be interesting to see how deep this may or may not go . 

The who and how long as far as knowledge can go very deep. For those calling for the down of some, I would caution because it could very easily end up in backyards of many ( and maybe it should). There was a revolving door of many at Cadets because of GH BUT many were fixtures there also. what did they know or not know? Do they come down also? Why not?

In 48 hours I have had numerous emails and calls from many concerned and discussing this sad situation. Some have really pulled out the pitchforks and torches ready to condemn. The anger is very understandable with the allegations against GH and I guess all I'm saying is beware how far one wants to take the condemnation of some who could be innocent people down ( possibly ) because that can travel far and very deep. 

Unfortunately, I have heard 1 or 2 say " Man I never knew this BUT If I go down I'll make sure so and so goes down " who was there a long time and had to know more than me.

Who knows where this all ends. Sad for all, most of all the victims and there could be more victims than just the poor women, just in a very different way.

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The who and how long as far as knowledge can go very deep. For those calling for the down of some, I would caution because it could very easily end up in backyards of many ( and maybe it should). There was a revolving door of many at Cadets because of GH BUT many were fixtures there also. what did they know or not know? Do they come down also? Why not?

In 48 hours I have had numerous emails and calls from many concerned and discussing this sad situation. Some have really pulled out the pitchforks and torches ready to condemn. The anger is very understandable with the allegations against GH and I guess all I'm saying is beware how far one wants to take the condemnation of some who could be innocent people down ( possibly ) because that can travel far and very deep. 

Unfortunately, I have heard 1 or 2 say " Man I never knew this BUT If I go down I'll make sure so and so goes down " who was there a long time and had to know more than me.

Who knows where this all ends. Sad for all, most of all the victims and there could be more victims than just the poor women, just in a very different way.

The chips should fall as they may.

if you knew something and did nothing ur as guilty as Hiw Paterno was portrayed in the HBO movie Paterno about the Sandusky stuff 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, camel lips said:

if you knew something and did nothing ur as guilty as Hiw Paterno was portrayed in the HBO movie Paterno about the Sandusky stuff 

That's what I'm saying, it can go deep and far and way beyond their board. When I bring that up then there becomes silent because some don't think it may end up in their own backyard.

Oh well, as you said let the chips fall.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

That's what I'm saying, it can go deep and far and way beyond their board. When I bring that up then there becomes silent because some don't think it may end up in their own backyard.

Oh well, as you said let the chips fall.

It took at least a few enablers and facilitators for this to go on for decades. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree. I want to give the BOD some level of respect. I do not believe they intended to allow someone to continue a pattern of sexual abuse, and perhaps they really didn't know this was going on until January. But they enabled GH by giving him too much control and power. That is never a good approach and DCI will be better off now because of the lessons learned from this horrific episode alone. From this point forward I doubt any director of a corps will have this kind of power ever again. 

More to the point, as much as I believe the BOD are good people who would never want such horrible things to happen to these young ladies, the bottom line is the news broke while they were in control.  In the end, that is enough to have them step down and allow for a new BOD to move the organization in a new direction. Those are the breaks for people in charge. In an indirect way they were enablers. They didn't mean for this sort of thing to happen, and we all hope they didn't know about this until January.

Now, if any of them did have prior knowledge of these criminal actions by GH before January -- and rumors have suggested that some did -- then they are guilty of not blowing the whistle on a sexual predator. That is serious stuff and most certainly calls for stepping down and potentially could lead to law suits.  I hope for their sake this is not true.

Sorry to repeat myself, but my concern is the period from Jan. 31, the latest possible date they can have learned about the allegations (I am sure of this because on Feb. 1, it was mentioned on the Music for All forums that Hopkins and YEA were under investigation), and Apr. 5, when the story broke and Hopkins resigned.

Did they let Hopkins interact with any members during those two months?

53 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Exactly. If you played by the rules, you've got nothing to worry about. If you were involved in stuff like this, or knowingly covered up what you knew were to be illegal activities by another, then you SHOULD  be one nervous nelly now. Thats the price for wrongful behaviors. In the long run, it'll be good for the activity. Change is coming. Those who think they can participate in a good ol boy enterprise that crosses that illegal line with subordinates/ minors with impunity are going to find out rather quickly now that its a new day. Embrace the change.... especially those who tell us almost ad nausuem sometimes how Drum Corps needs to " change with the times ". Well, a big change is " acomin' " now, no doubt about it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4