The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

51 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the board will be replaced, the CEO has been replaced and the Director has been replaced. In many ways it is already a "new" organization already; however - if what you're suggesting is a "rebranding" of YEA! under a new corporate identity/name it's certainly something for them to consider. If I were the decision maker I'd probably do it - this fall or so after Band season is winding down. Would be just another step to create a new environment and persona top to bottom. JMO. Cadets do need an "umbrella" organization - the only thing making the #'s work is the band circuit - all other activities are money losers. Let's hope, whatever form things take going forward, the organization can finally realize the original "vision" in mind. Providing young adults the opportunity (through performance) to grow into magnificent humans. Certainly a worthy cause even more powerful and important than a chromatic scale and a "Z-pull"

Yes, George, we are thinking along similar lines. I understand the high school band management is a necessary revenue source. Hopefully, there is a way to further separate that out, yet retain those benefits. Something along the lines of Eastern Band Association (EBA). A fresh new look and leadership. A new Board, or two separate Boards, both with female members seems required.

I just believe the Youth Education in the Arts impression has been irreparably damaged. 

The Cadets of DCI is the initial and primary focus. It is a mostly college-age (above the age of consent, etc.) activity. The other components of YEA reach down into Middle School, including the Cadets2. Not ideal right now. As you correctly point out, the groups underneath are not essential as revenue producers. Seems to me, maintaining a strong Cadets of DCI is the paramount interest.

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... not to make light of a very serious issue, but that era... 60s-70s-into the 80s... a "frat house" atmosphere at times, with various people in various corps, for sure.

Not excusing any such behavior, at all. But it was a different world then.

If the allegations turn out to be true GH was from that era of drum corps . It won’t forgive his behavior but it might explain it . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dans said:

My wife and I attended Cadets brass camp yesterday. Had some good conversations with some people on the inside of things. Many involved with the corps right now are taking positive steps to help the Cadets move forward past this ugliness. The members seemed very upbeat and focused and glad to be there. All in all it was a really good day and we felt much better about the corps and where they are headed.

What a relief! I keep having fears about mass exodus of talent and funding... Great to know things are good on the MM front - at least right now.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dans said:

My wife and I attended Cadets brass camp yesterday. Had some good conversations with some people on the inside of things. Many involved with the corps right now are taking positive steps to help the Cadets move forward past this ugliness. The members seemed very upbeat and focused and glad to be there. All in all it was a really good day and we felt much better about the corps and where they are headed.

I was hoping to hear a good report from this weekend's camp.  Thanks!  

32 minutes ago, cowtown said:

There are not any law suits, don’t really expect any  unless something more pops up so YEA has a lot of latitude in how they will address this which is maybe why it's so ham-fisted

My view on the 2018 membership is changing, YEA needs to do more

This George is not a Cadet thing, he use to say that too, he wouldn’t sing Holy name, had that changed?

I heard years ago, actually at Met Life Stadium sitting with alums who claimed GH had a love/hate relationship with the corps history and tradition. I never heard he would not sing “Holy Name.” If he were in Madison and did not sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” he’d be tarred and feathered. While you do see with Madison that embracing the tradition can be challenging when changes are needed,  you also have Boston Crusaders who embrace their tradition, who consider every CYO, Eastern Mass, and Mayflower circuit drum corps, drill team, and band part of the extended family. They even have a former North Star on their board and I know someone who goes to shows wearing a 27th Lancer coat from the year he marched and a Boston Crusaders baseball cap. Who would have imagined that back in the day?

The drum corps world is a small one, and my guess is Cadets may find itself separate from YEA. This will mean reorganization and the best way for tradition to be maintained while moving to the future would be alums. If this has not already happened, Cadets alums may want to reach out to some other corps for reorganization help. This would be a time I’m sure on the field rivalries would not hinder professional courtesy. Also, other corps should be willing to help since they could face similar claims, perhaps  not going all the way to the top or by such a towering figure, but sadly you never know.  BAC, Cavies, Troopers, and Madison have similar long history and tradition, so each could be a good resource. While there could still be some hard feelings between BAC and Cadets, BAC did an excellent job at restructuring itself. Crown and Academy would be other good resources. While both have been around for a while, in comparison they are recent arrivals and could very well have had sexual harassment and reporting procedures in place since their inception. 

While saying the corps will be stronger may be cliche, and it may be too soon to say with certainty  the healing process has begun, I do think Cadets alums and interested parties have the gifts and abilities to take control (hopefully with legal help and generous benefactors) and when they do, we’ll get back to either praising the show or getting pummeled on DCP if we critique it and not discussing these serious matters.

I believe the "never singing HN" was more a thing out of respect that it is for members and alumni - of which Hopkins is NEITHER. He's never been a Cadet. Thank god he will no longer be part of The Cadets. If it wasn't for his fiscal mismanagement they'd still be called the "Garfield Cadets" IMHO

Edited by George Dixon
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I heard years ago, actually at Met Life Stadium sitting with alums who claimed GH had a love/hate relationship with the corps history and tradition. I never heard he would not sing “Holy Name.” If he were in Madison and did not sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” he’d be tarred and feathered. While you do see with Madison that embracing the tradition can be challenging when changes are needed,  you also have Boston Crusaders who embrace their tradition, who consider every CYO, Eastern Mass, and Mayflower circuit drum corps, drill team, and band part of the extended family. They even have a former North Star on their board and I know someone who goes to shows wearing a 27th Lancer coat from the year he marched and a Boston Crusaders baseball cap. Who would have imagined that back in the day?

The drum corps world is a small one, and my guess is Cadets may find itself separate from YEA. This will mean reorganization and the best way for tradition to be maintained while moving to the future would be alums. If this has not already happened, Cadets alums may want to reach out to some other corps for reorganization help. This would be a time I’m sure on the field rivalries would not hinder professional courtesy. Also, other corps should be willing to help since they could face similar claims, perhaps  not going all the way to the top or by such a towering figure, but sadly you never know.  BAC, Cavies, Troopers, and Madison have similar long history and tradition, so each could be a good resource. While there could still be some hard feelings between BAC and Cadets, BAC did an excellent job at restructuring itself. Crown and Academy would be other good resources. While both have been around for a while, in comparison they are recent arrivals and could very well have had sexual harassment and reporting procedures in place since their inception. 

While saying the corps will be stronger may be cliche, and it may be too soon to say with certainty  the healing process has begun, I do think Cadets alums and interested parties have the gifts and abilities to take control (hopefully with legal help and generous benefactors) and when they do, we’ll get back to either praising the show or getting pummeled on DCP if we critique it and not discussing these serious matters.

Lets call GH what he is . He killed every tradition in Drum Corps. Just not the traditions at The Cadets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Lets call GH what he is . He killed every tradition in Drum Corps. Just not the traditions at The Cadets. 

No, he didn't kill the traditions at all.  He abused people in multiple ways and, somehow, this drum corps has made astounding traditions that Cadets MM's can hold up and honor despite him.

This is not a nuclear bomb for the activity or for the potential MM's out there waiting to audition.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Uh, no. And he didn't even kill the most meaningful traditions at the Cadets which are still very much in place. Let's keep the focus on the matter at hand here.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 4

What a dope. Wouldn't sing Holy Name "out of respect". Almost all sports team coaches aren't alumni of the schools where they coach. Does this mean they can't sing the fight song or alma mater?  No.