The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

While an unfortunate thing to be going through, Cadets could use this as an opportunity to redefine themselves.  Either go back to the old school style uniforms/shows/tradition or move towards bluecoats/devils, etc. style shows.  It seems the past few years they have had a difficult time adjusting and fitting in with some of the new trends

personally I would love to see Cadets return to the traditional uniforms and more 90's early 2000 style shows but I don't see that happening based on how the judges score today - with GH pretty much running the show on deciding the show, next year could be interesting to see where they go.  This is an opportunity to bring in fans that normally didn't like Cadets because of GH

as for those saying GH ruined drum corps because of all the rule changes... they had to vote on it all and he wasn't the only one putting some of the rule changes forward.  I'm not a fan of a lot of them however, but it is what it is at this point.  I just wish corps would stop OVERDOING the electronics.  It can add, but it's not a must have everywhere... too many FORCE it where it doesn't add anything and some of the balance is really bad as well, but scoring never reflects that (something I think they need to address in the scoring system)

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Maybe to say "Look over there, not over here!".

Well, sure, but these messages are aimed primarily at members' parents, don't you think?

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

If the allegations turn out to be true GH was from that era of drum corps . It won’t forgive his behavior but it might explain it . 

At no time was rape or unwanted advances acceptable BUT you are right. Also at that time, he was also something like in his early 20s. close to victims ages AGAIN not that it's an excuse

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skevinp said:

Wasn't that decision made before 2006, though, in which case it would not have hurt members who had already embarked on their season?  And did they really call it punitive?  I thought they exercised that oversight to ensure the financial well-being of the corps.  That seems somewhat similar to DCI requiring solid financials before letting a corps become world class, and is arguably in their best interest.

For other examples you referred to earlier, were they for anything other than things (such as overage members) that gave the relevant corps an unfair competitive advantage?  In such a case, it would arguably be unfair to the other corps to allow them to compete because of that advantage.  But I don't think anyone would make the argument that the current cadets mms have a competitive advantage as a result of this devastating situation.

I would imagine that if DCI believes they have the authority to intercede and suspend a Corps from competition until they make changes in their organizational infrastructure, and come into compliance there on a financial matter ( Troopers, 2006), then it seems probable that DCI would believe they have the authority to interecede and protect DCI's brand/ reputation due to far more agregious failings such as an organizations apparent negligence to protect its marchers/ staffers from potential personal harm. Also, did YEA immediately inform DCI HQ back in January that there were between 9-13 alleged victims and incidents ( including rape ) spanning decades by its Executive Corps Director ?... a BOD member of DCI ( or former Board member ) ? These are to be determined. As for the Cadets MM's and the timing of this, thats most unfortunate ( most seem to be handling well from reports though, good for them ), but this was " the timing " for this that was dropped on their doorstep, and DCI's doorstep apparently, here in April.  DCI HQ was contacted by a major newspaper about these allegations, and it appears DCI had no good reply surrounding them. So we get the impression anyway, that DCI HQ was not in the loop on this back in early January, when the victim's attorney first brought this to YEA.. If true, that sure doesn't make DCI HQ happy, if they were blindsided, as it appears at the moment they were.  YEA ( and perhaps DCI HQ too ) have a lot to explain here. In the meantime, the YEA BOD  should all resign now, and immediately, and not force DCI's hand in a matter that DCI would no doubt prefer to be handled moving forward now by The Cadets, and not by DCI . Best of summer's success to the Cadets marchers. This was not of their doing, and they'll be cheered everywhere they go this summer, imo... as should be.

Edited by BRASSO

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... not to make light of a very serious issue, but that era... 60s-70s-into the 80s... a "frat house" atmosphere at times, with various people in various corps, for sure.

Not excusing any such behavior, at all. But it was a different world then.

Now that you mention the Frat House, A former student and friend of mine looked at the glassdoor comments on YEA and said "He runs the place like it's a big Frat House and he's the head Frat Boy". :innocent:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

If the allegations turn out to be true GH was from that era of drum corps . It won’t forgive his behavior but it might explain it . 

I utterly disagree. Every person 'from that era' was not and is not a serial harasser/rapist. Promiscuity is not the same thing as sexual assault. 

Originally Harvey Weinstein tried to claim that he 'was from a different era,' too.

The George Hopkins portrayed in the article is a person with no conscience.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Uh, no. And he didn't even kill the most meaningful traditions at the Cadets which are still very much in place. Let's keep the focus on the matter at hand here.

Exactly. A way to delegitimize a topic is talking about the person for other reasons like a style of teaching or directing. There isn't 1 director out there that people couldn't taker apart for 1 reason or another, successful or not.

The topic at hand is too serious, not differences of opinion on a style of management..jmo

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What a dope. Wouldn't sing Holy Name "out of respect". Almost all sports team coaches aren't alumni of the schools where they coach. Does this mean they can't sing the fight song or alma mater?  No.  

Having taught many places over the years, I have never sung another corps' song along with their members. I just never felt it was my place to do so and wouldn't want to intrude on or participate in something I didn't earn as a member of that specific corps. I know many other people who feel the same way. There are tons of things to be legitimately upset at George about, but this barely registers as being even remotely worth discussing IMO

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I believe the "never singing HN" was more a thing out of respect that it is for members and alumni - of which Hopkins is NEITHER. He's never been a Cadet. Thank god he will no longer be part of The Cadets. If it wasn't for his fiscal mismanagement they'd still be called the "Garfield Cadets" IMHO

If you are the director, you learn the corps sing and sing it, period. I am sure I am not the only DCP poster who is friends in FB with corps directors. They give their all to the corps, and some have young families. If they sacrifice as much as they do for their job, they are a member of that community.Sing the song.

If I am assigned to a parish with a school that has a school song that is sung by alumni and students of which I am neither, I would listen once, learn that song for the next time, and sing sing it with gusto. Immediately upon singing it I would be a member of the community and chances are, by the end of the year would be an honorary alum.

BTW, if you attend shows in the Boston area, they are still Garfield, or as we like to say “Gaahfield.”

For those who think this rant is from someone with too much time on his hands, I am sitting in a medical office, waiting for someone to be finished and needs me to drive him home. 

Read the Oregon Crusaders response and feel something is missing. Covered good bit from staff side but missing big piece for members. Piece is how to report if something makes you uncomfortable or you feel is wrong. Go thru this every year and how to report and who to report to is very specific. FYI for anyone connected to a corps 

Edited by JimF-LowBari