The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

12 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

As much as I admired the intent behind that second YEA statement (and for sure, it was much better in tone than the original!), I still think they should have just taken the original one down and said nothing. At least not until they hire a professional public relations firm of some kind to handle all press inquiries on this matter until they get their house in order. Every time someone from YEA goes on the record, even when they try and do the right thing, I find myself holding my breath.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It could be off topic, it may also lead to a slippery slope going off topic, and others feel differently about whether it is appropriate to sing the song. Perhaps my conclusion makes my comment sound like an attempt to inject humor, but in situations like this, looking at patterns of behavior can be crucial in preventing future abuse. If a corps has a tradition that only marching members and alums sing a song, that is one thing, if not, not singing the corps song could be viewed in a different manner. If you read accounts of serial abusers who share what they did and why, you will find they saw themselves as invincible, above reproach , or better than those harmed. If for Cadets singing “Holy Name” is a mm or alum tradition and only for mm and alums, GH not singing it is an insignificant detail, if that’s not the case, it could be a red flag.

I do know other directors and staff who step away from things like this and a few other traditions that members usually take part in BUT as far as a pattern YES you are right BUT as I said I can go through pretty much every director and how they interact or what they partake in or style  and I can find those who think quite the opposite. Another topic perhaps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I believe the "never singing HN" was more a thing out of respect that it is for members and alumni - of which Hopkins is NEITHER. He's never been a Cadet. Thank god he will no longer be part of The Cadets. If it wasn't for his fiscal mismanagement they'd still be called the "Garfield Cadets" IMHO

or at least somewhere in NJ

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What a dope. Wouldn't sing Holy Name "out of respect". Almost all sports team coaches aren't alumni of the schools where they coach. Does this mean they can't sing the fight song or alma mater?  No.  

well hold on.....he never marched there. Since 1934, to be a Cadet is a sacred thing in that organization, and he knows he wasn't...many alumni who disliked him certainly pointed that out to him quite often.

I'll admit, I grew up in the Westshoremen family. Mom and dad met there when dad was marching, dad came home from rehearsal,mom went into labor. then 20 years later I marched there too. My corps jackets are Dad's jackets he gave to me.....i had to earn the 3 year jacket by doing my 3rd year first....just had the name changed. Has his 78 Al Champs patch on it. In that same household, the Reading Buccaneers was a bad word. 

so fast forward to the fall of 99...Westshore is all but dead, lingering on for 2 more years after our scandal of nothing close to this proportions, and friends that went to Bucs after we fell apart called and asked if i would come teach. Before I said yes, i called dad for permission. And while made to feel very welcome by all for my summer of 2000 with them, I would not sing their song. I was hired help, I had never worn the uniform. it was not my place to sign their song. 

so on this, I fully give Hop props, even if that wasn't his actual reason for not singing it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine that if DCI believes they have the authority to intercede and suspend a Corps from competition until they make changes in their organizational infrastructure, and come into compliance there on a financial matter ( Troopers, 2006), then it seems probable that DCI would believe they have the authority to interecede and protect DCI's brand/ reputation due to far more agregious failings such as an organizations apparent negligence to protect its marchers/ staffers from potential personal harm. Also, did YEA immediately inform DCI HQ back in January that there were between 9-13 alleged victims and incidents ( including rape ) spanning decades by its Executive Corps Director ?... a BOD member of DCI ( or former Board member ) ? These are to be determined. As for the Cadets MM's and the timing of this, thats most unfortunate ( most seem to be handling well from reports though, good for them ), but this was " the timing " for this that was dropped on their doorstep, and DCI's doorstep apparently, here in April.  DCI HQ was contacted by a major newspaper about these allegations, and it appears DCI had no good reply surrounding them. So we get the impression anyway, that DCI HQ was not in the loop on this back in early January, when the victim's attorney first brought this to YEA.. If true, that sure doesn't make DCI HQ happy, if they were blindsided, as it appears at the moment they were.  YEA ( and perhaps DCI HQ too ) have a lot to explain here. In the meantime, the YEA BOD  should all resign now, and immediately, and not force DCI's hand in a matter that DCI would no doubt prefer to be handled moving forward now by The Cadets, and not by DCI . Best of summer's success to the Cadets marchers. This was not of their doing, and they'll be cheered everywhere they go this summer, imo... as should be.

was DCI officially contacted? probably not, and that's their legal loophole. Did they know there was allegations of some nature? They had to.I knew before everyone left Indy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine that if DCI believes they have the authority to intercede and suspend a Corps from competition until they make changes in their organizational infrastructure, and come into compliance there on a financial matter ( Troopers, 2006), then it seems probable that DCI would believe they have the authority to interecede and protect DCI's brand/ reputation due to far more agregious failings such as an organizations apparent negligence to protect its marchers/ staffers from potential personal harm. 

I didn't say they don't have the authority.  I guess where I am coming from is I assume DCI would generally use its authority to ensure the best interests of dci, the corps, and the members, rather than doing things for punitive reasons.  That said, I admit that I am increasingly bewildered and disappointed by how people use the authority they do have.

Your point about their brand and reputation is well taken, but I'm not sure taking any actions that even further hurt the current Cadets mms would help their brand or reputation among people that know and understand drum corps.  The media certainly could (as they have in many cases) prosecute the matter in a way that focuses on appearances rather than realities and panders to emotions of those less familiar with the circumstances (in a self-righteous way that shows little regard for they people they could harm), but this is one time that I am glad that most people out there don't know or care much about drum corps, is it hopefully renders that less likely.

Otherwise, the only justification I can see for ending their season would be if DCI truly believes they are in danger, either from further abuses of this nature or from the fallout from what has already happened.  I sure hope they won't have a reason to believe that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

BTW, if you attend shows in the Boston area, they are still Garfield, or as we like to say “Gaahfield.” 

Even though the last game at the original Boston Garden was in Sept. 95, (pre season hockey game), whether the new building had Fleet (Center) or TD Bank on the building, the majority of NE residents called it the Garden.

• Like 1