The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Problem Solving 101:

0. Plan for solving the problem.   1. Establish a knowledgeable team.   2. Describe the problem.    3. Contain the problem.   4.  Determine and verify root causes.   5. Verify that planned corrections will actually solve the problem.   6. Implement the corrective action.   7. Prevent recurrence.   8. Recognize efforts of the team in making the changes.

Clearly, this is going to be a long, drawn-out process.  You can't cut corners, and you can't skip any steps here.

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Well, let's be clear here:   the only allegations in that story having to do with actual corps members (at the time of the incidents) took place nearly 40 years ago when Hopkins was in his early 20s.  It's not like 60 year old Hopkins is running around naked in the showers at housing sites [now THERE'S an image you won't be able to get rid of].

Also, the members (and likely their parents) knew of Scott Atchison's past, and still made the decision to come to Cadets this decision when he was initially going to be brass caption head.

Yes. That being said, As more information came out about Sandusky, it became clear he was active for decades before  the evidence that  was brought to the trial that convicted him. The average individual who does this sort of thing averages quite a large number of victims, do your own research and find out the numbers that pop up, you'll be appalled.

I'm just saying from the perspective of members and their families (of which I am one) ... the potential for harm didn't arise this morning when the story broke.  Members and parents that weren't brain dead have already weighed those risks and made their choices.   If Hopkins is fired later today, the risk isn't really any less, as there are still 20-30 other instructors who will be around those kids all summer.  And as with Atchison and Hopkins, and nearly every story about teachers having sex with students - those risks are really highest when the instructors are young and still see themselves as potential peers to the students.    Similarly, if he's not fired, I don't really see that the kids are at any more risk - everyone of them will be aware of the situation. 

This is just the beginning. We're going to see more stories like this.

After aging-out, I volunteered for several weeks with my corps. I saw how inexperienced/incompetent/overworked/change-averse the leadership was ... giving safe harbor to predators (plural) within the organization. Folding was the best thing to ever happen to my organization.

GH and his Mugabe-like presence in his organization (and the activity) needs to go. If it means disbanding the Cadets for a season, do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You don't have a Board that employs you to lead a group of, largely, minors.

The USFA is not the same kind of association as DCI.

Each corps is judged on its own merits.  If there is no governing body to expect consistency, then each org is free to develop their own practices.  There is no legal authority for an attorney to presume a consistently lax policy (that would allow such allegations as against Hop) exists in all corps.

If another, unassociated, corps can demonstrate best practices, they can stay above the cesspool of accusation.  

Your example is not apt or parallel, IMO.

In a way, it IS apt.    ALL of us who deal with minors in this sport (and there are a ton of them in both genders and all three weapons) were tainted, to a degree, by this one coach's actions...to the point where USFA had to take some sort of proactive step to protect people (granted, they were pushed rather hard by the USOC and their insurance company).

The most recent one at least showed our BOD took some direct and lasting action...contrary to the lack of action of YEA's board.

And USFA's board DOES employ people to lead groups of minors....Jr Worlds are going on right now in Verona, and USFA employs a number of people to herd them around, do repairs, handle logistics, etc.

A comparison doesn't have to be exact to have validity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Well, let's be clear here:   the only allegations in that story having to do with actual corps members (at the time of the incidents) took place nearly 40 years ago when Hopkins was in his early 20s.  It's not like 60 year old Hopkins is running around naked in the showers at housing sites [now THERE'S an image you won't be able to get rid of].

Also, the members (and likely their parents) knew of Scott Atchison's past, and still made the decision to come to Cadets this decision when he was initially going to be brass caption head.

I was going to say the same thing BUT didn't feel like a pissing match with anyone Rape is rape no matter when it took place for one but you are right Hopkins at the time ( 40 years ago ) was nearly the age of most members not that it excuses the bad or illegal behavior. I personally am not nor have ever been a Hop fan BUT I urge people to put away the pitchforks and let the legal process go forward. Careers have been ruined for very good reason nowadays BUT also careers have been ruined just by accusations. People do need to be believed but the court of public opinion can also be tainted for one reason or another.

I think ( which is not my call at all ) that until things are resolved or have gone through the process maybe he should have some kind of suspension from the day to day activity until he or they have had their process. If anyone, young adults choose not to march until this is resolved 1 way or another that of course is a personal choice and should be respected, as well as those who choose to move forward.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I didn’t want to be the poster. Knew it was coming 

A little bit different angle than "how could the board allow him to remain in his position?" is "why would the staff continue to work with him given such allegations?"

This would just be speculation, but since you had heard rumors and knew this would soon be blowing up, would you think, say, Cadets designers knew of this allegation? 

I can't imagine being a guy like Drew Shanefield and wanting my name so closely associated with a person accused of such deeds by so many women or with an organization that presumably knew of the allegations and did nothing. This isn't a large organization where any single employee is pretty invisible, but there are a small group of designers who are routinely on design video discussions with Hopkins. 

Me personally I can wait for the investigation to take its course. 

But I don't think the activity being a youth generated activity can wait. I just don't see any way around it. George will have to resign post haste and the board will need to appoint a over sight committee to oversee its day to day operations till the investigation in concluded. If the investigation determines that NO other YEA member knew of Georges Shenaiangans then it should go on .

Problem I have is if these allegations are true they either knew or should have known what was going on and turned a blind eye to it. It sorta reeks of the whole Penn State scandal IMHO. 

20 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Problem Solving 101:

0. Plan for solving the problem.   1. Establish a knowledgeable team.   2. Describe the problem.    3. Contain the problem.   4.  Determine and verify root causes.   5. Verify that planned corrections will actually solve the problem.   6. Implement the corrective action.   7. Prevent recurrence.   8. Recognize efforts of the team in making the changes.

Clearly, this is going to be a long, drawn-out process.  You can't cut corners, and you can't skip any steps here.

No, when you are talking about sexual assault step 0 is to prevent recurrence which can only be done by removing the perpetrator.

• Like 1