The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

16 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Similarly, if he's not fired, I don't really see that the kids are at any more risk - everyone of them will be aware of the situation. 

I disagree, if he is not fired it becomes tactically condoned vis a vis the org’s culture of top down leadership through the staff.  It’s not ok that Hoppy is walking around camps with rape accusations

This is not OK

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Eleran said:

It's not like 60 year old Hopkins is running around naked in the showers at housing sites [now THERE'S an image you won't be able to get rid of].

When I marched it was common for the staff and the members to shower at the same time. It seemed normal at the time, but with an extra decade of experience it is obviously problematic and asking for trouble.

• Like 2

Wow. Gotta say, nothing surprises me, but the organization needs to get in front of this. Suspend Hopkins, get an interim person.  Maybe Bruno Z? Salvage the current season.

Otherwise, maybe some members go fill out another corps en masse. This is just terrible news.

My heart goes out to all the women abused. ...and remember men are abused too.  Maybe not in this particular case, but that happens too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

No, when you are talking about sexual assault step 0 is to prevent recurrence which can only be done by removing the perpetrator.

I think you mean CONTAINING THE PROBLEM should be first.  I understand that way of thinking, but it is CRITICAL to not skip immediately to that step.  Because if you do, you might miss something else that is vitally important.

You need to have a plan.  You need to have the right people leading the plan.  You need to understand ALL aspects of the problem. THEN you contain the problem so it doesn't keep happening.  

Preventing a recurrence is what you do AFTER all the changes have been implemented.  Preventing a recurrence could be something like having periodic inspections, or something like that.

Also, it might turn out that there are MULTIPLE corrective actions necessary in this case.

31 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes. That being said, As more information came out about Sandusky, it became clear he was active for decades before  the evidence that  was brought to the trial that convicted him. The average individual who does this sort of thing averages quite a large number of victims, do your own research and find out the numbers that pop up, you'll be appalled.

ok lets leave the Sandusky and MSU stuff out. lets stick to the topic at hand. otherwise it derails the thread and gets it closed. its why i dropped it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Trying not to derail, Jeff. This IS similar in how it's shaking the foundations of this activity. A lot of people seem not to know a lot of things they should know about abuse and the character of those who do. Trying to educate, not derail.

6 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

When I marched it was common for the staff and the members to shower at the same time. It seemed normal at the time, but with an extra decade of experience it is obviously problematic and asking for trouble.

Can't speak for today's DCA but up until 2009 that was pretty common place for DCA ALL AGE corps to shower together. No one thought anything about it. When DCA ALL AGE Corps would visit DCI sites we (adults)  would shower with the DCI corps and nothing was thought or said about it. Imma sure this will be a game changer for the DCA rules and regulations as well when visiting DCI show sites. Even though DCA is largely a Youth generated activity now days. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok lets leave the Sandusky and MSU stuff out. lets stick to the topic at hand. otherwise it derails the thread and gets it closed. its why i dropped it.

IDK how you can leave the Sandusky stuff out of it Jeff. THe parallels are going to be too close and similar. The question IS GOING TO BE WHO KNEW AND WHEN DID THEY KNOW IT. 

Like I said in my remarks before I am willing to wait for the investigation to conclude before casting stones in anyone's direction including Hopkins.