The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Ahh yes, whatever happened to Stu?  

My hope is that DCI recognizes that there are currently 150 members of the Cadets that worked hard and earned their spot in that corps.  If the ax must fall on the corps as a whole, can we please wait until their season is done.  Those members did nothing wrong and deserve the summer they worked so hard for.  If the corps must fold, let it be Sept 1, 2018.

I don’t know if I agree, as devil’s advocate, the 2018 Cadets turn from victims to enablers to de facto advocates if they support the actions of a board that fail to fully address the situation by remaining in the corps

If the YEA Board keeps flaying in their response, it will taint my view of the members that remain in the corps

6 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Ahh yes, whatever happened to Stu?  

My hope is that DCI recognizes that there are currently 150 members of the Cadets that worked hard and earned their spot in that corps.  If the ax must fall on the corps as a whole, can we please wait until their season is done.  Those members did nothing wrong and deserve the summer they worked so hard for.  If the corps must fold, let it be Sept 1, 2018.

DCI isn't going to force The Cadets to fold and to think that they would is absurd. At most they will say "These are the steps that must be taken to continue competing in DCI" and then The Cadets will make the changes and everyone moves on.

The bigger concern is the long term effect on YEA and how that affects the corps.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Don't know why this crossed my mind....

but imagine if Stu were still posting here.  This thread would already be 5,000 pages long, with him parsing every single word anyone has said. :tongue: 

Was he banned?

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I don’t know if I agree, as devil’s advocate, the 2018 Cadets turn from victims to enablers to de facto advocates if they support the actions of a board that fail to fully address the situation by remaining in the corps

If the YEA Board keeps flaying in their response, it will taint my view of the members that remain in the corps

Don’t expect the board to stay on long

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

BS, it is incredibly insulting to call the members of the corps advocates for a rapist. Any claims to the contrary are mindbogglingly inappropriate.

The rapist is gone. The members and corps in general are victims here, not on the same level as the women involved in the story, but victims none the less. Good people are in charge of the corps and YEA now, and I don't think the changes finished (I fully believe the boards days are numbered). Progress is being made.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I generally agree with Garfield, you don’t want to put this in the hands of DCI the org because if they fail, they all go down 

Maybe... maybe not.. the hysteria that DCI folds without the Cadets, is not shared by the DCI Directors ( of 2010 anyway ). Cadets threatened to leave DCI and for DCI to fend for themselves unless their demands were met... perhaps believing DCI would give in to their demands as DCI would fail and go down without the Cadets. ( and 6 others ). But the dozens of other DCI Corps stuck together, thwarted that move, and DCI came thru thatt crisis rather well in retrospect. DCI lost Star of Indiana, and lots of former DCI Titleists/ and/ or medalist Corps over the years ( regrettable ).  But from all reports we hear " DCI is doing better than ever these days now ". I personally think the Cadets will neither be suspended not expelled from DCI. For several reasons. But nobody really knows. its just not many of the music and themes of these Corps fans don't know much about at the moment.. None of us know what DCI knows either. So if its still unclear what DCI knows, its unclear what sanctions they may or not impose moving forward. All we found out today thats perhaps new on this is that DCI Executive Director does not rule out dismissal in DCI as a penalty for any Corps when a Corps does not follow DCI policies and procedures. But thats a long way off from Dan actually determining at this moment in time that this sexual abuse and apparent non notification to DCI HQ merits such a dismissal from DCI here. Few want to see a Corps suspended or expelled from DCI membership. Not me. But thats above our paygrade here at the moment.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Had the Admiral at the base I work at cashiered for sexual harassment. Does that make me a supporter of sexual harassment? If  that sounds dumb what is the difference?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Was he banned?

I don't know. 

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe... maybe not.. the hysteria that DCI folds without the Cadets, is not shared by the DCI Directors ( of 2010 anyway ). Cadets threatened to leave DCI and for DCI to fend for themselves unless their demands were met... perhaps believing DCI would give in to their demands as DCI would fail and go down without the Cadets. ( and 6 others ). But the dozens of other DCI Corps stuck together, thwarted that move, and DCI came thru thatt crisis rather well in retrospect. DCI lost Star of Indiana, and lots of former DCI Titleists/ and/ or medalist Corps over the years ( regrettable ).  But from all reports we hear " DCI is doing better than ever these days now ". I personally think the Cadets will neither be suspended not expelled from DCI. For several reasons. But nobody really knows. its just not many of the music and themes of these Corps fans don't know much about at the moment.. None of us know what DCI knows either. So if its still unclear what DCI knows, its unclear what sanctions they may or not impose moving forward. All we found out today thats perhaps new on this is that DCI Executive Director does not rule out dismissal in DCI as a penalty for any Corps when a Corps does not follow DCI policies and procedures. But thats a long way off from Dan actually determining at this moment in time that this sexual abuse and apparent non notification to DCI HQ merits such a dismissal from DCI here. Few want to see a Corps suspended or expelled from DCI membership. Not me. But thats above our paygrade here at the moment.

Anything G7 is 8 years old and dead in the water. It’s time to stop beating that dead horse

• Like 3