The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Anything G7 is 8 years old and dead in the water. It’s time to stop beating that dead horse

It was merely utilized in conjunction that any notion that DCI can not survive with the loss of a Corps in DCI is not supported by history. The phrase " G7 " was not even utilized by me, so relax Jeff. I also used the example of the loss of other Corps.. such as " Star of Indiana ", and other" Titleists/ medalist Corps" DCI has lost over the years ( as well as dozens of others ). Star is discussed here far more than the " G7" too and I have not mentioned the " G7 " on here before this week in ages. So there is no need for me or anyone to beat this " dead horse ". We agree that the horse is dead,( and its rider now gone from DCI perhaps for good now too ). So now..... moving on......

There is another reported rape incident/ victim that has surfaced in todays newspapers during the tenure of GH, and allegedly committed by him. An apparent new revelation to the other 9 previously revealed in the newspapers  .Hopefully Dan Acheson at DCI HQ did not first learn about about this new revelation of a rape thru the newspapers either.  But again, nobody knows what Dan knows or does not know. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

New allegation against Hopkins.

http://www.wfmz.com/727712453

Yes. As mentioned, hopefully Executive Director of DCI Dan Acheson was at least informed of this new one, prior to his reading it in the newspapers today like the rest of us . This new revelation includes the charge from this  victim that George Hopkins also " drugged " her before the physical violence he perpetrated upon her via his alleged rape of her. Former employees advised her early on not to go to work there. And where was YEA BOD during all this ? They never had a clue that many former employees in the office there were telling people not to ever go and work there ? Yikes.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe... maybe not.. the hysteria that DCI folds without the Cadets, is not shared by the DCI Directors ( of 2010 anyway ). Cadets threatened to leave DCI and for DCI to fend for themselves unless their demands were met... perhaps believing DCI would give in to their demands as DCI would fail and go down without the Cadets. ( and 6 others ). But the dozens of other DCI Corps stuck together, thwarted that move, and DCI came thru thatt crisis rather well in retrospect. DCI lost Star of Indiana, and lots of former DCI Titleists/ and/ or medalist Corps over the years ( regrettable ).  But from all reports we hear " DCI is doing better than ever these days now ". I personally think the Cadets will neither be suspended not expelled from DCI. For several reasons. But nobody really knows. its just not many of the music and themes of these Corps fans don't know much about at the moment.. None of us know what DCI knows either. So if its still unclear what DCI knows, its unclear what sanctions they may or not impose moving forward. All we found out today thats perhaps new on this is that DCI Executive Director does not rule out dismissal in DCI as a penalty for any Corps when a Corps does not follow DCI policies and procedures. But thats a long way off from Dan actually determining at this moment in time that this sexual abuse and apparent non notification to DCI HQ merits such a dismissal from DCI here. Few want to see a Corps suspended or expelled from DCI membership. Not me. But thats above our paygrade here at the moment.

I agree DCI does not fold without the Cadets.  

The much bigger danger is from (1) similar situations occurring in other Corps, and (2) potential fallout if DCI (either HQ DCI, or other Corps directors that make up the DCI BOD) knew of the criminal behavior GH stands accused of and did nothing (like YEA).  Either of these could lead to legal action(s) and /or sponsorship pull-out.  I don't think there is much money available for a legal defense fund.

We are in the early days.  This will take time to work through.  More stuff will become known (apparently another GH victim came forward today).

Lets meet again in a year and compare what we know on 10 Apr 2019 to what we knew on 10 Apr 2018.

• Like 3

I am confused by the argument several pages back concerning the Indianapolis Star article.

This text seems unambiguous to me:

"Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said. Participating groups that fail to meet Drum Corps International's policies can lead to that group's dismissal."

To me that plainly means that DCI believes that it already has the power (presumably by some vote of the DCI board or full membership) to expel a corps from DCI membership or otherwise discipline a corps if the corps doesn't meet certain standards--and we know DCI has punished corps in the past for matters of far less import than the cover-up of sexual harassment and assault (which is what Cadets may have done). It seems Acheson's review aims to spell out such consequences more plainly in advance, but is irrelevant to whether DCI has the ability right now to kick out Cadets, if it (again by some sort of vote) so chooses: it can.

(Not saying it should.)

1 hour ago, rmm155 said:

http://www.wfmz.com/727712453

Report of a new victim speaking out.

So the claim in the new reporting is that Hopkins drugged and raped an unnamed woman eight years ago, when she was 25 and met him in a bar for what he had told her would be a business meeting. She also says that Hopkins groped and attempted to kiss her when she worked for YEA at the age of 21. The statute of limitations has not expired; she is not certain about whether she will file charges.

She doesn't say anything about having contacted YEA or DCI before now about this alleged assault, but she says that when she worked for YEA:

"Other employees told her to stay away from then-Director George Hopkins".

So twelve years ago, some people at YEA knew Hopkins was trouble.

20 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As mentioned, hopefully Executive Director of DCI Dan Acheson was at least informed of this new one, prior to his reading it in the newspapers today like the rest of us.

Informed by whom? She doesn't mention any attempt to contact anyone at YEA or DCI about what happened, and the reporter only mentions trying to contact Hopkins.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. As mentioned, hopefully Executive Director of DCI Dan Acheson was at least informed of this new one, prior to his reading it in the newspapers today like the rest of us . This new revelation includes the charge from this  victim that George Hopkins also " drugged " her before the physical violence he perpetrated upon her via his alleged rape of her. Former employees advised her early on not to go to work there. And where was YEA BOD during all this ? They never had a clue that many former employees in the office there were telling people not to ever go and work there ? Yikes.

I doubt the paper called him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So the claim in the new reporting is that Hopkins drugged and raped an unnamed woman eight years ago, when she was 25 and met him in a bar for what he had told her would be a business meeting. She also says that Hopkins groped and attempted to kiss her when she worked for YEA at the age of 21. The statute of limitations has not expired; she is not certain about whether she will file charges.

She doesn't say anything about having contacted YEA or DCI before now about this alleged assault, but she says that when she worked for YEA:

"Other employees told her to stay away from then-Director George Hopkins".

So twelve years ago, some people at YEA knew Hopkins was trouble.

This accusation falls within the 12-year PA statute-of-limitations

Am I the only one who has noticed the Bill Cosby parallels?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Am I the only one who has noticed the Bill Cosby parallels?

Nope.

• Thanks 1