The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

This is the kind of purposeful and appropriate action the Cadets and YEA needed to take and I'm thrilled they've finally rid themselves of that board. But I think my favorite part of that press release (which was like taking a breath of fresh air after years of reading some of the most cringe-worthy press releases I've ever seen in my life!) was the following line, "Note to media: For more information, please contact Peter Giles at Giles Communications." Finally, a professional PR firm! This is exactly what the folks now running YEA need to stay focused on the matters at hand and (hopefully) their feet out of their mouth.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

But I think my favorite part of that press release (which was like taking a breath of fresh air after years of reading some of the most cringe-worthy press releases I've ever seen in my life!) was the following line, "Note to media: For more information, please contact Peter Giles at Giles Communications." 

And if you look at Giles' website, on the front page below "Doing Great Work for Great Clients", the first client logo shown is for Yamaha, and on the side they've included a testimonial from Terry Lewis, Executive Vice President, Yamaha Corporation of America (retired)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

So... are you going to admit you were just trolling?

What ?  Several Cadet Alums, very close to the Corps, were even saying as recently as yesterday ( other social media ) that the YEA BOD were digging in their heels, and were not about to resign. DCI HQ  stepped in, gave them the whatfor ( dismissal from DCI as an option ). YEA BOD was boxed in, had virtually no support anywhere, both Cadets alums. DCI and thus agreed to DCI's  and Sean's demand. Thats what happened. Nobody is " trolling here ",( unless you are engaging in it with me)

Edited by BRASSO

52 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I think it demonstrates that a board upheaval has been in the works since the news broke (maybe before?). Folks on DCP wanted the board TO BE OUT IMMEDIATELY - RIGHT NOW - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON - WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING. I think the organization did the right thing by waiting until the new board was in place to make any kind of statement about the previous board.

Also, this gives YEA a great opportunity to say, in essence, "the old board wrote the original tone deaf response (among other things) - we have a new approach now." 

Many alumni long wanted change, and i am sure a lot of manuevering was happening behind the scenes as the rumor spread. it was the worst kept secret in drum corps since the Januals

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

What ?  Several Cadet Alums, very close to the Corps, were even saying as recently as yesterday ( other social media ) that the YEA BOD were digging in their heels, and were not about to resign. DCI HQ  stepped in, gave them the whatfor ( dismissal from DCI as an option ). YEA BOD was boxed in, had virtually no support anywhere, and thus agreed to DCI's  and Sean's demand. Thats what happened. Nobody is " trolling here ",( unless you are engaging in it with me)

Everything I heard was the opposite. "Sit tight, things are happening, you'll hear something soon"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totaleefree said:

My guess is that if there was a group wanted changes at Cadets they had already asked people to consider joining the board. 

At least since the very first day of the scandal the alumni had been all over this and doing outreach to organize a "shadow board" that could move in quickly. Considering the state of the organization and that there were rumors of the abuse situation for several months, I'm sure much had been going on behind the scenes for a while.

Aside from the tragedy of the sexual harassment problems, Hopkins' iron fist had been such a tremendous impediment to the success of YEA for a long time, and many people knew that and were trying to be prepared when the time came.

As others have noted, how refreshing is it to see a coherent, professional press release for the FIRST TIME in the entire history of the organization?!

It's a new day. If they new leadership can deal effectively with the abuse problems, they have a chance to actually transform into the education powerhouse it was always intended to be, but never achieved, largely due to self-inflicted wounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Everything I heard was the opposite. "Sit tight, things are happening, you'll hear something soon"

I heard mixed things on this. Go look on Facebook,  Cadet alums, well connected to the Corps, with supposed inside info.. saying YEA BOD" digging in their heels, refusing to resign :". From YESTERDAY.   its still there. Then you won't start the unneccessary vile name calling with me. Look, I'm glad the entire YEA BOD has been removed with the insistence from DCI. And have called for this as most others have, including most Cadet Alums I know. DCI today states that they will work with the new YEA BOD to guide them into a position that makes certain that they come into compliance quickly.. So its a positive step, imo

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Slight mis-information, they weren't based in Garfield for all 70 years, based in Bergenfield for the last 15-16 years.