The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

It’s a serious accusation.  I am sure  the GH stuff is not isolated, but without anyone leveling an accusation it is hearsay.

There have been things over the years not only with accusations but jail for numerous things that were kept so quiet most don't even realize they even happened.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

How long before GH is awarded a lifetime ban from attending any DCI or DCA sanctioned show including corps rehearsals? 

You may need a criminal charge to make this stick, but my guess is he will keep a low profile for the years to come.

53 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

If it was such big news, why was it not on here ?

it gets removed. this too has hardly been a secret

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, while there are likely to be further revelations and some more fallout, this move seems likely to be seen by history as the turning of a corner.

(I have no idea how they'll do competitively this year. Cadets fans should certainly steel themselves for the possibility of a rough season. Simply due to the fact that major organization changes often have unforeseen logistical implications.)

When I posted this seven hours ago, I didn't really expect more revelations tonight.

Just catching up with this article, which a few people have already linked to. Some people are reporting they can't read the article, so:

It describes two women, one of whom is unnamed but seems to be the same person described by a different outlet yesterday: she alleges that Hopkins in 2012 drugged her at a bar, took her home, and raped her. The other woman, Jessica Beyer, alleges that Hopkins starting in 2007 (she worked at YEA until 2009) made inappropriate comments toward her in the office, sent her inappropriate texts, groped and kissed her on one occasion, and later raped her in his apartment.

Both women told family members at the time and/or in the years between the assaults and their contact with the reporter. The reporter spoke with these family members and also with Beyer's therapist, who confirmed that Beyer told her six years ago about the rape. The reporter also looked at Beyer's journal, in which she contemporaneously noted the groping incident.

Beyer said that she told Sean King, then her boss at YEA and now the organization's interim CEO, about Hopkins's inappropriate texts and comments but not about the sexual assaults. King denies this to the reporter.

The article also notes both the resignation of YEA's board and that DCI has put Cadets on probation. (How long before one of these reporters reaches out to someone at DCA?) DCI's requirements of YEA to fully address this problem seems more and more necessary.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

35 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

oh ok.. thats good to know.

well it makes sense with DCA...DCA's membership has been skewing younger for 20 years. I know in 2000 when i went to teach at a corps, we were told no coolers on the bus. Now corps have strict policies about age groups showering separately and more. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

How long before GH is awarded a lifetime ban from attending any DCI or DCA sanctioned show including corps rehearsals? 

should have already been publicly stated

39 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don’t know about that unless it came after 2013. 

i know of corps putting starting to adopt policies 18 years ago

12 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Ugh...

ugh removed but i get it.

it's why stuff was removed from here and other places about Hop until the articles came out. Nothing has ever been publicly announced about it, so for preservation reasons, it's considered rumor or libel. Util something is formally published, I get why it's removed

• Thanks 1