The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

“Never saw George do any of this”. In a lot cases there are no witnesses other than abuser and abused. Don’t hang you hat too high on that no witnesses tidbit. Worst thing done in front of witnesses that I have read is make comments to get someone to drink more. According to the accusers the nasty things were done privately.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't really have any words for this. Extremely sickening and disappointing. I feel like all those "Hop talks" I listened to through the years I marched were all hypocritical.

They were

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It is possible to believe both the victim and King in this case.  She says she didn't tell him about the rape.  He says he didn't know about the abuse, which may have been in response to a discussion of the rape or other more serious actions.  But he might not remember something she said about harassment if he had no idea of the context or seriousness of it all at the time.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, ebo said:

This is not true.  Everyone that knows Sean King knows he would have reported it in 2 seconds.  I also know other instructors and former YEA employees that I have asked if they saw any of this and everyone of them has said no. There are at least 10 YEA employees that never saw George do any of this.   I am not defending George, he will have his day in court I am sure.  If they make Sean King a victim of what Hopkins is alleged of doing then I and many others will never donate another penny to this organization again. This man has the most integrity of anyone I know and everyone who is close to the situation knows this.   This would be yet another tragedy  to an innocent person. If Sean says he did not get told, believe it.  I hope the donors all take a stand and not let this mans good name be damaged.  I have personally given 10's of thousands to this organization.  This will be a huge mistake to make this man the next victim.  

It's not the organization making a victim of Sean King...why would that impact your donation?

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

He didn't say that and you know it. 

Just saying that I doubt her credibility when coming forward. She's telling the truth about Hopkins, but then decides to lie about telling King? Very unlikely.

I hope the truth is what everyone goes on, but getting rid of Sean King may be out of people's hands.  It's called bad optics.  Sometimes that wins over truth unfortunately.

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Not everything hit's the public  chat pages of the internet. If it did your head would spin. As shocking as this is there has always been plenty over the decades. We as an activity are not immune to anything you see in society. Many think we are immune to all this stuff, including politics,  and think it doesn't have anything to do with us. Nothing is further  than the truth,

Great point. 

I know it sounds like a cliche'... but the drum corps activity is a microcosm of... a reflection of... society. Always has been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, ebo said:

This is not true.  Everyone that knows Sean King knows he would have reported it in 2 seconds.  I also know other instructors and former YEA employees that I have asked if they saw any of this and everyone of them has said no. There are at least 10 YEA employees that never saw George do any of this.   I am not defending George, he will have his day in court I am sure.  If they make Sean King a victim of what Hopkins is alleged of doing then I and many others will never donate another penny to this organization again. This man has the most integrity of anyone I know and everyone who is close to the situation knows this.   This would be yet another tragedy  to an innocent person. If Sean says he did not get told, believe it.  I hope the donors all take a stand and not let this mans good name be damaged.  I have personally given 10's of thousands to this organization.  This will be a huge mistake to make this man a victim too.

This seems like a case of " He Said... She Said ". Jessica marched Cadets, and  after aging out, worked fo both GH and Sean King at YEA. People are certainly entitled to believe either of these Cadets that have vastly different stories of what occured here re. Sean King. You make a good case here for Sean King's character. The reporter in the Philly Inquirer likewise makes a compelling report of what Jessica told the reporter, what followed both before and after her alleged sexual abuse by GH ,and her story is there for others to read as well, and make of it as they wish.

Edited by BRASSO

14 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Just saying that I doubt her credibility when coming forward. She's telling the truth about Hopkins, but then decides to lie about telling King? Very unlikely.

I apologize for the way that sounded.  I had attempted to remove it and accidentally posted a second time instead of replacing it.  As I said above, I don't know that their statements were necessarily about the same thing so not necessarily  in conflict.