The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

By "...the drum corps activity...", to whom do you refer?

Fans?  Vets? Current MMs?  Or DCI in Indy?

Yes.

DCI just released a statement on the allegations:

https://www.dci.org/news/statement-from-drum-corps-international

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This summer is the least of the issue.  This could easilly lead to the end of DCI and Drum Corps as we know it.

This is why I said "the drum corps activity" needs to boot GH ASAP. And it needs much more. If stuff like this is common then it would be a good thing if its the end of "Drum Corps as we know it."

• Like 1

Just now, flugelswerebugels said:

This is why I said "the drum corps activity" needs to boot GH ASAP. And it needs much more. If stuff like this is common then it would be a good thing if its the end of "Drum Corps as we know it."

I agree.

YEA & DCI need to deal with this now.  Bad news NEVER gets better with age.

• Like 2

Just now, Lithium Nitro said:

I believe this is a little extreme and it's important to keep our heads cool. If in fact members of every single corps in DCI come forward and eventually all the staff is gone, of course DCI will be over as there is no one to compete, but we have to take a breath and look at things calmly. Corps will survive and continue to thrive, if the Cadets wish to have a successful season they'll need to replace Hopkins and maybe even the Board quickly to allow time for new leadership to find their place in the organization. If they do not choose this action the organization will lose my respect and many others.

I depends where the investigation goes (and it should go wherever the evidence takes it).  

I hope YEA & DCI have a lot of money for lawyers

2 minutes ago, Lithium Nitro said:

Strange I can't seem to access the DCI website on my computer or phone, I'm very interested to see what they have to say.

Here's what the statement says:

"Based on recent reporting, Drum Corps International has been made aware of claims made by former performers and employees of a participating organization against the director of that organization.

"DCI is deeply concerned about these accusations and anyone who may have been subjected to or affected by behavior which is not in keeping with our core values.

"As a cooperative association of individual groups, Drum Corps International is committed to fostering mutual care and respect among, between and within its participating ensembles and member organizations. DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention and appreciation; and seeks these traits without exception in all others with whom it engages.

"In any situation where a participating organization or its constituents are alleged to have violated DCI's code of conduct policies and values, DCI reaches out to the participating organization to assess what it is doing to ensure that such allegations are thoroughly investigated and that any substantiated allegations are promptly and fully addressed. Further, DCI will seek information regarding what steps a participating organization is taking to ensure that it fosters a healthy, constructive and safe environment for all participants, and may also seek assurances that the participating organization’s continued involvement is consistent with DCI policies. Failure to adhere to DCI policies and expectations can result in DCI terminating its relationship with that participating organization. 

"DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.

"In addition, DCI continues to review and update its policies, procedures and practices – with the goal of educating and increasing awareness to all who participate in its sanctioned programs and activities. From its global leadership position, DCI will continue to work diligently to promote a positive, safe and educationally appropriate environment for tens of thousands of students, instructors, administrators, volunteers, partners and supporters."

(Note: No specific mention of George Hopkins, The Cadets, or YEA.)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lithium Nitro said:

Strange I can't seem to access the DCI website on my computer or phone, I'm very interested to see what they have to say.

Hopkinsgate crashed DCI 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's what the statement says:

"Based on recent reporting, Drum Corps International has been made aware of claims made by former performers and employees of a participating organization against the director of that organization.

"DCI is deeply concerned about these accusations and anyone who may have been subjected to or affected by behavior which is not in keeping with our core values.

"As a cooperative association of individual groups, Drum Corps International is committed to fostering mutual care and respect among, between and within its participating ensembles and member organizations. DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention and appreciation; and seeks these traits without exception in all others with whom it engages.

"In any situation where a participating organization or its constituents are alleged to have violated DCI's code of conduct policies and values, DCI reaches out to the participating organization to assess what it is doing to ensure that such allegations are thoroughly investigated and that any substantiated allegations are promptly and fully addressed. Further, DCI will seek information regarding what steps a participating organization is taking to ensure that it fosters a healthy, constructive and safe environment for all participants, and may also seek assurances that the participating organization’s continued involvement is consistent with DCI policies. Failure to adhere to DCI policies and expectations can result in DCI terminating its relationship with that participating organization. 

"DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.

"In addition, DCI continues to review and update its policies, procedures and practices – with the goal of educating and increasing awareness to all who participate in its sanctioned programs and activities. From its global leadership position, DCI will continue to work diligently to promote a positive, safe and educationally appropriate environment for tens of thousands of students, instructors, administrators, volunteers, partners and supporters."

(Note: No specific mention of George Hopkins, The Cadets, or YEA.)

NOW THIS is being proactive and out in front of things. The Cadets would be wise to do the same in regards. 

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He let a great replacement go to Blue Devils.   

And we are glad to have him...I think he's in his 3rd year there, learning the ropes.   The transition seems to be smooth and working.

This sitch has been discussed on the BD alum FB page, and the general feeling from those who have researched and those in the know is that BD as an organization has been well ahead of this sport of thing for years.

BD might get tarred with the same broad brush if this spreads beyond YEA, but I don't think we'll be seeing similar accusations...at least, I hope not

• Like 1

That DCI is ahead of YEA in releasing a statement is yet *another* sign that YEA's board seems content in going down with the ship.

• Like 6