The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

USBands could take a huge hit. The Philly paper covers a wide swath of their territory

It will effect every organization GH had ties too and more. Cadets 2 is possibly the smallest of the groups he had ties too and I might suggest one of the youngest and most fragile of the groups. DCA being the fickle bunch they are probably will want to cut ties with them quickly. I don't see them fielding this summer or ever again. 

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's what the statement says:

"Based on recent reporting, Drum Corps International has been made aware of claims made by former performers and employees of a participating organization against the director of that organization.

"DCI is deeply concerned about these accusations and anyone who may have been subjected to or affected by behavior which is not in keeping with our core values.

"As a cooperative association of individual groups, Drum Corps International is committed to fostering mutual care and respect among, between and within its participating ensembles and member organizations. DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention and appreciation; and seeks these traits without exception in all others with whom it engages.

"In any situation where a participating organization or its constituents are alleged to have violated DCI's code of conduct policies and values, DCI reaches out to the participating organization to assess what it is doing to ensure that such allegations are thoroughly investigated and that any substantiated allegations are promptly and fully addressed. Further, DCI will seek information regarding what steps a participating organization is taking to ensure that it fosters a healthy, constructive and safe environment for all participants, and may also seek assurances that the participating organization’s continued involvement is consistent with DCI policies. Failure to adhere to DCI policies and expectations can result in DCI terminating its relationship with that participating organization. 

"DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.

"In addition, DCI continues to review and update its policies, procedures and practices – with the goal of educating and increasing awareness to all who participate in its sanctioned programs and activities. From its global leadership position, DCI will continue to work diligently to promote a positive, safe and educationally appropriate environment for tens of thousands of students, instructors, administrators, volunteers, partners and supporters."

(Note: No specific mention of George Hopkins, The Cadets, or YEA.)

DCI has good prose-writers.  Or is this marketing?

:whistle:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyt said:

That DCI is ahead of YEA in releasing a statement is yet *another* sign that YEA's board seems content in going down with the ship.

YEA is in a tough spot no doubt. Probably wanting to do the right thing but being held back by several factors. Lawyers for one being the biggest. Secondly they are probably trying to get advice from some of the biggest names in the industry that can help advise them on how to get out in front of this correctly. One misstep could be tragic. I feel for them. 

4 minutes ago, camel lips said:

NOW THIS is being proactive and out in front of things. The Cadets would be wise to do the same in regards. 

The Cadets had their chance to get in front of this.  It's ahead of them now.  Every other corps needs to be proactive to protect themselves and the activity.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

And we are glad to have him...I think he's in his 3rd year there, learning the ropes.   The transition seems to be smooth and working.

This sitch has been discussed on the BD alum FB page, and the general feeling from those who have researched and those in the know is that BD as an organization has been well ahead of this sport of thing for years.

BD might get tarred with the same broad brush if this spreads beyond YEA, but I don't think we'll be seeing similar accusations...at least, I hope not

All due respect intended, this is not exclusive to NorCal, as you know.

One aspect of the current structure is that most corps - I'd say ALL corps - now have pretty good Best Practices docs in place.

This "sitch" is specific due to longevity, and prominence, of the accused.

6 minutes ago, camel lips said:

NOW THIS is being proactive and out in front of things. The Cadets would be wise to do the same in regards. 

I think it's almost too late for that to have any real effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, camel lips said:

YEA is in a tough spot no doubt. Probably wanting to do the right thing but being held back by several factors. Lawyers for one being the biggest. Secondly they are probably trying to get advice from some of the biggest names in the industry that can help advise them on how to get out in front of this correctly. One misstep could be tragic. I feel for them. 

I don't. 

They've known since January that this was coming.  If you can't formulate a response in three months, you obviously don't have a grasp on the seriousness of the situation.  Either that or they're content to turn a blind eye.  It's clear that YEA is Hopkins and Hopkins is YEA.  Their BOD is nothing more than a figure head put in place to simply look official.  

ETA: There is no getting in front of this for them now.  It's strictly damage control from here on out and seeing what organizations under the umbrella get taken down with them.

Edited by chaddyt
More thoughts
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI has good prose-writers.  Or is this marketing?

:whistle:

I suspect legal representation was consulted in the wording of that statement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I don't. 

They've known since January that this was coming.  If you can't formulate a response in three months, you obviously don't have a grasp on the seriousness of the situation.  Either that or they're content to turn a blind eye.  It's clear that YEA is Hopkins and Hopkins is YEA.  Their BOD is nothing more than a figure head put in place to simply look official.  

Perception is reality.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Having stopped reading this topic at page 8, if not posted already, one might cringe once the major networks look into this.  What are the chances some parents might make their children with a Cadets contract leave the corps before ST?

I think very high.. In fact, I think there is a good chance that The Cadets do not weather this storm at all for 2018.. and possibly forever.

I am an absolute believer in due process. Nobody is guilty of a crime unless they admit their crime, or are found guilty by a jury of their peers. If this ends up there (which I will be highly surprised if it does not), then whatever the outcome is.. so be it. 

That said, the court of public opinion is not so lenient.

If I am a parent with a kid in this corps right now.. with this current corps leadership.. and I am talking from the YEA board all the way down the chain.. there is NO WAY in a million years I let MY kid anywhere NEAR this corps. I think they will pretty quickish lose any and all members under the age of 18. If my kid is over 18, and I am funding their drum corps career... and let's face it, a LOT of mm's use the trusty old First National Bank of Mom and Dad... again, I wouldn't let my kids near this corps. If I am an advertiser, I want NOTHING to do with YEA, The Cadets or USSBA. If I am a sponsor with a worldwide brand recognition, say.. I dunno... YAMAHA... again, I want nothing to do with this corps. Once this corps loses sponsors.. it's game over.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1