The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

8 hours ago, ebo said:

Well that kinda proves that when she went to her before he took her seriously. Maybe she said it in passing or in a way that Sean didn't know the serious of her concerns.  If she also wasn't afraid to tell Sean and so called jeopardize her job as she has claimed. They why didn't she go to the police when she says he raped her?  This all has questions that need to be investigated.  Sean denies that she told him and based on the other actions he took and his great character I believe him.  

Sorry, but your character reference isn't good enough. Not after what's just happened.The board is absolutely 100% doing the right thing by investigating the matter and suspending him pending the results of that investigation. (It's what the other BOD should have done to GH back in January.) And if there is even a scintilla of proof that he brushed the matter off because it was George Hopkins, because he knew that the chances of anything being done about it were slim to none, and the attitude he relayed to her with his response to her complaints was "you know how George is," then I'm sorry but he needs to be let go as well. And for the record, I know Sean King as well, and I know that he is a good and honorable person. But sometimes, even good people make mistakes.

Finally, don't speak for other donors. You're not very good at it. I know some big-time donors as well. Let's just say they have differing opinions than yours about the new board's response to this latest development, but I have absolutely no idea what they intend to do in terms of further involvement/donations, nor would I be so foolish as to state publically with any certainty as to what they are going to do. Especially when the investigation into these newest claims has barely begun. If you're so confident SK has done no wrong, you'd welcome the opportunity to let this investigation prove it, but make no mistake about it, he had to be suspended until that determination is made. It's the most responsible and most appropriate response considering all that's taken place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if there will be an option for members to back out if they wish with a refund of fees? Though then again, I doubt this kind of thing is covered in the contract they sign so a refund would be impractical. 

Personally, if I had a theoretical kid and I was paying for the dues for them to march in the summer, I would’ve pulled them out after hearing this situation. Too much instability and uncertainty. (not that I would’ve really let them march in a corps directed by Hopkins in the first place but I digress)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Great news, Cadets have regained control of their FB page. 2018 brass playing OHN posted!

https://www.facebook.com/cadets.org/?fref=ts

"We now return control of your television set to you, until next week, at the same time when the Control Voice will take you to... The Outer Limits. "  :tongue:

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Brasso - tl;dr. Geez dude. 

Concerning would DCI suspend Cadets. I agree with George D. The only way that happens is they end up suspending themselves by not being able to meet the conditions laid out in the probation. If they can satisfy the probation conditions they tour. Even if they suspend another dozen people. If they can flush them and replace them with leadership that can make the right process changes and meet the fiduciary requirements, I cannot see how they would be suspended. 

Nobody envisioned we would even be having this conversation about the Cadets  being put on probation by DCI 2 weeks ago. So anyone that knows what Dan Acheson is going to decide soon probably has not yet considered the fact that its likely that Dan Acheson is probably not sure what he will decide to do now. I think its fair to say that Dan Acheson  as Exec. Dir. of DCI did not sign up to be involved in any DCI membership corps reclamation project. But thats what he's about to do now from reading DCI's prepared statement. If anyone scrolls back on my comments  48 hours ago, they'll see I was optimistic that the Cadets would be out on tour this summer, and likely be fine moving into the off season. Now, I'm not so sure. What changed ? DCI imposed probation and some pretty stringent, time sensitive demands on the Cadets. It did not state make a " a good faith effort ". it said you will do this, this, and this. Then the 2nd shoe to drop was Sean King's suspension, and  the Corps Director at Cadets2 sudden resignation. And all this was AFTER DCI released their laundry list of time sensitive things that the Cadets are required to. do under the probation terms. Alls I 'm saying is that this is an unprecedented rapid series of changes taking place, with people coming and going within the last week there at YEA and the Cadets. Cadets2, that  anyone thinks that this is a stable situation there at the moment is engaging in wishful thinking, imo. And so, I really am not as confident today as I was 48 hours ago that Dan A and his BOD are going to conclude that they see stability over too much instability there. But... ask me in a few days or so and maybe I'll  see some things that returns me to the optimism I had 48 hours ago that the Cadets will be in California in early June.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yeah let's punish the current members for what adults have done. It's not the members' fault they're in this predicament.

Sadly there is some predictable “rooting for the worse” from some very predictable sources

Cadets alumni and massive network of supporters will NOT allow anything but.a stellar experience for the 2018 members, especially because of the horrific actions of some old fart narcissist 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I wonder if there will be an option for members to back out if they wish with a refund of fees? Though then again, I doubt this kind of thing is covered in the contract they sign so a refund would be impractical. 

Personally, if I had a theoretical kid and I was paying for the dues for them to march in the summer, I would’ve pulled them out after hearing this situation. Too much instability and uncertainty. (not that I would’ve really let them march in a corps directed by Hopkins in the first place but I digress)

Are fees paid in full at this point? If DCI says "No" to this season, is it remotely possible to get the fees back? 

Just now, cybersnyder said:

Are fees paid in full at this point? If DCI says "No" to this season, is it remotely possible to get the fees back? 

I thought they had to be paid up in late April?  I may be wrong.