The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

My concern for the 2018 Marching Members from the moment this broke has been about the bad timing of it.  I don't know when the majority of them signed their contracts, but it seems unfair for them for this all to unfold when they have few options to march elsewhere if the worst happens...or even if they'd prefer being in a corps right now with less drama.

If there were contracts left to be signed when George and the old board first knew of this, then they were the ones who didn't give potential members all the knowledge they should have had for signing those contracts and committing to the corps.

5 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

My concern for the 2018 Marching Members from the moment this broke has been about the bad timing of it.  I don't know when the majority of them signed their contracts, but it seems unfair for them for this all to unfold when they have few options to march elsewhere if the worst happens...or even if they'd prefer being in a corps right now with less drama.

If there were contracts left to be signed when George and the old board first knew of this, then they were the ones who didn't give potential members all the knowledge they should have had for signing those contracts and committing to the corps.

could be wrong BUT I'm hearing its not much of an issue..time always will tell though. The few members or parents in here seem to be supportive of their corps. I say good for them

• Like 1

It seems the kids are determined to push through 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

You do get were dealing with drum corps don't ya.lol,. I have done this for decades and there has always been the " bad guy " so to speak in any successful program, There is always someone who has to look at the whole picture and not small parts. Not everyone knows how to do this. There are big picture people as well as small pic people.

You are right, compromise is needed BUT with a very short season this cannot be Congress and talk things out each and every time.. Just doesn't work Pre planned changes need to be in place yes BUT often that gets shoved to the side because of feedback from judges. Often great programs get feedback that is already on their to-do lists and are ahead of the game There isn't a staff person alive who doesn't get frustrated because everyone thinks their section is a priority. It seems like it would be a very simple process and it can be but the road to that can be bumpy for sure..

No doubt there are bumps in the road along the way but a smart design and tech staff (with experience) can foresee most of these and proactively modify the program elements appropriately.  At least staffs that are in the higher tiers, IMO.  Totally get the staffers thinking their area is the priority.  I actually would not want it any other way.  There is a necessary passion and measured aquiescence that is required for collaboration and success.  Some feedback may be confirmation that what is planned is the correct path.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

theoretical

Theoretical!  Pot kettle black 

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

There's a ton of nonsense in this thread. I have no idea where these "shaky finances" crap is coming from. They've literally just bought a $100K trailer for the sowing ladies and over last winter outfitted an entire new top-notch kitchen trailer. These aren't "broke" type of moves. The corps is FINE financially from the perspective of Cadets. They've never been flush with cash - due to their situation and IMO weak business management aka Hopkins. So compared to BD they are "shaky" but they will be fine and I'm hopeful they will pay down debt and build an emergency fund moving forward.

I'd imagine once they lock down other details on positions the corps will launch it's 2018 M&G Campaign and my prediction is it will raise FAR more money than ever. 

They are not broke and they will fully fund and complete both tours. Constantly posting the possibility of otherwise by a (very) few people in this thread is just ridiculous and frankly could be damaging. The Cadets are FINE. It's a few of the adults (Hopkins & BOD, couple others) that have rightly been excised from the organization. Now lets support the actual grown ups as they take over, do their best and GET UP AND WORK HARD. Which is what "Cadets" do.

I really hope so. Looking forward for their trip out west. Maybe that is what they need...a trip out west to get away from the bad headlines. Cadets have been and hope will be a big presence in the drum corp activity. I just can't imagine the Cadets ever not being there. Yes GH has been the face of this organization for decades but changes are now in the works. I really hope for their well being and a promising future regardless of their placement. They have a long history way before GH was in charge.

Edited by afd

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's easy to sit back in the shadows and make a statement like that, but I'm willing to bet if it were YOUR corps, or if it were 19 year old YOU in this position, you wouldn't want that to happen. 

My Corps DID fold in the spring, just before the season.  And it broke a lot of kid's hearts.  But now with the perspective of time I can see it was the right decision, because the parts were not in place to be successful.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, afd said:

I really hope so. Looking forward for their trip out west. Maybe that is what they need...a trip out west to get away from the bad headlines. Cadets have been and hope will be a big presence in the drum corp activity. I just can't imagine the Cadets ever not being there. Yes GH has been the face of this organization for decades but changes are now in the works. I really hope for their well being and a promising future regardless of their placement. They have a long history way before GH was in charge.

And they have a long future after him

better than ever 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

And that's for them to handle, which it seems they're doing. Just because someone THINKS something should happen doesn't mean they're right. They have taken action so it's not like they're sitting on their hands now. Some people here just want the maximum punishment even at the expense of the members. 

I don't think anyone wants to punish the members. 

But, we don't want the Cadets to melt-down mid-tour, not because of talent or member effort, but because of leadership or financial failures.  In my opinion, that would be a lot harder to recover from than DCI telling them to hake a year off to sweep all parts of the organization that need to be swept & to get their ducks in a row for 2019.