The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

So just curious.. if more allegations come out and they name folks in leadership at other corps, will those people be suspended as well?   

FYI, I am a parent of a current mm and have no fears for him going on tour this summer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

So just curious.. if more allegations come out and they name folks in leadership at other corps, will those people be suspended as well?   

FYI, I am a parent of a current mm and have no fears for him going on tour this summer

I would suspect that they would follow whatever policies they have in place. And given the current circumstances I am sure a suspension would be in order. DCI is trying to formalize policies across all members. They are hoping to complete that by the end of the month when the DCI board next meets.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Whether a corps owns a name came up in discussions about five years ago and the discussion centered around whether a new corps called 27th Lancers. The arguments in favor claimed that where 27th Lancers are a British army unit and a mentioned in the Tennyson poem, it would be in the public domain. Others claimed where it was the 27th Lancers drum and bugle corps, it was trade marked and could not be used.

Where Cadets is not that unique a name, YEA would not own the rights, though this might not be the case if Garfield, Bergen County, or Allentown were attached. 

If it ever came to this, it would be a matter for lawyers.

For those interested in the backstory on this... The " 27th Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps " ( Revere, Ma. ) rights were owned essentially by the Bonfiglio Family and 27th competed from the 60's into the 80's. ( finished 2nd at DCI Finals in '80 ). The Corps disbanded in the late 80's, but in 1993 were brought together by the Bonfiglio's to do a one time exhibition performance at DCI Championships in Foxboro, Ma in 1994.. Which they did ( spectacular exhibition, by the way ). This was, by choice of the Bonfiglio's, to be the proverbial final curtain call of 27th.

However, a few in the Corps wanted to continue on after the Bonfiglio's left after that '94 performance at DCI championships, and so they did... and they kept the name. But this was never the intent George Bonfoglio ( to continue on ) and so to end any future liability they might have, they secured a Judge order requesting the Corps that was remaining and out performing under the name, to change their name. They promptly did, and changed the name from the 27th Lancers to The Light Brigade ( that Corps went on performing exhibitions mostly in the N.E. are for several years afterwards ).

Final tidbit :.... Name Protection Rights do not extend to foreign countries that choose not to have those US Patent/ Copywrite US Laws apply in their countries there. For example, one can go today on YouTube and google " The 27th Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps " and can see a current marching group with the name The New 27th Lancers currently operating and performing in the Phillipines. Since these US laws do not extend to protections there, this new 27th Lancers musical group in the Phillipines can play anything they choose to, and as far as I  know, not have to pay ( for example ) Tresona , or any other US Composer of their works,  a dime. Just some tidbits of  kick the can down the road, killing time, info as we all wait for the Drum Corps season to begin.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

It would depend on the situation 

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It would depend on the situation 

We have no idea of how many corps have alums with similar stories as the accusers who came forward regarding Cadets. In situations outside of drum corps, the number of potential victims is hard to predict, but what often happens is those people expect to be accused due to rumors, suspicious actions, and the like, often do not face accusations and those no one would expect and seem above reproach are serious offenders. This is why zero tolerance policies are put in place, and I would think for DCI it would not depend on the situation, it will have to be a zero tolerance approach. They will have to treat every corps and every one accused the same. Otherwise it would look like favoritism and importantly it would be unfair.

1 hour ago, Scerpella said:

For the sake of clarity, nowhere in Tennyson’s poem “the charge on the light brigade” are the 27th lancers mentioned. In fact the 27th Lancers were a new unit formed sometime in the 20th century. It is true that in the Crimean war which is where this charge of the light brigade took place, there were Lancer units as well as Hussars  and there was a Hollywood movie made about it which I think featured Errol Flynn,  and perhaps that is where Bonfiglio got his idea for naming the corps the lancers.

To add to BRASSO's comments above, (while being utterly & completely off topic (so I understand Mods may want to delete)),  as I understand it Geo. Bonfiglio & a bunch of former IC Reveries who wanted to go on were discussing what to do while the 1938 Errol Flynn / Olivia De Havilland film version was on TV in background.  As they were discussing names a character in the film said "Sir, the 27th Lancers have arrived"

And a legend was born.

Drum Corps trivia over.  Back to the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shewhois said:

I would hope that we root this problem out once and for all. 

W/r/t suspensions, it will probably depend on the accusation and circumstances of that case.  But, given the current state of affairs I would think suspension is very likely.

Cadets were the perfect storm waiting to happen because the former director ran the place like a third-world dictatorship; he was the only guy that had all the information (this is in part why the financial health as determined by DCI has me concerned.  I guess we'll see).  So when he went down, in a spectacular fashion, cracks appeared everywhere.

Nonetheless, we need to slay the dragons.  All of them. Zero tolerance. One and done.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further clarification and pontificating
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We have no idea of how many corps have alums with similar stories as the accusers who came forward regarding Cadets. In situations outside of drum corps, the number of potential victims is hard to predict, but what often happens is those people expect to be accused due to rumors, suspicious actions, and the like, often do not face accusations and those no one would expect and seem above reproach are serious offenders. This is why zero tolerance policies are put in place, and I would think for DCI it would not depend on the situation, it will have to be a zero tolerance approach. They will have to treat every corps and every one accused the same. Otherwise it would look like favoritism and importantly it would be unfair.

I would imagine if it’s recent and the admin did nothing there’s issues. If the corps was alerted and immediately dismissed that person, it would look better. Plus no other corps has someone in charge now that was in the seat as long as Hop was. Few have the organization behind the corps like YEA does. 

4 hours ago, MikeM said:

Holy crap, GH took a $176k salary from YEA! in 2016?????  At least that's what the 990 says. 

Also consider that not only was he the CEO, but full-time director of the Cadets who went on tour with them, headed the US Bands and judged several shows per year and over saw the other 2 aspects of YEA!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

Also consider that not only was he the CEO, but full-time director of the Cadets who went on tour with them, headed the US Bands and judged several shows per year and over saw the other 2 aspects of YEA!

How much did he receive in free merchandise from the souvie booth?