The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

He likely should (and will) be suspended pending an independent investigation. 

It's more than likely Tricia Nardolny discovered this newsgroup conversation earlier in this thread.

It makes my head spin that we're at this point.

Chip

I said about 2000 posts ago that this is the Sept 11 event for Drum Corps.

Nothing will be the same from now on.

Slay the Dragons.  All of them. Wherever they are found

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Just when you thought there would be 24 hours without something new... This Philly.com story is aimed at DCI. Thoughts?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/george-hopkins-cadets-dan-acheson-drum-corps-sexual-misconduct-20180413.html?amphtml=y

Wait hold the phone . In 2003 he say she he didn’t give a thought about contacting GH but in 2018 he would ? 

What a Cluster Muck 

expext another resignation at the hands of Hopkinsgate shortly ! 

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hair on the back of your neck go up or the old Batt Simpson shiver? 

No. I dug up the old post. Several of us told him going to Dan alone wasn’t good enough. He had to go the authorities as he claimed he had first hand knowledge. As even just 15 years ago the issue wasn’t treated like it is today, with his reputation on RAMD many didn’t take him seriously. 

Just to think if he had done what seversl of us told him him to do, this could have been stopped in 2003. But he didn’t do that. RAMD was not the place to present a case like this. 

Edited by Jeff Ream

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim posted it here last week. 

I must have missed it with all that’s going on 

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

YEA suspended King for allegations that he ignored a report about Hopkins.

Should DCI do the same to Acheson?

I think these are different. The accusation for Sean was by someone who was directly impacted by the action. She was a victim. For Dan, this was someone sharing a rumor that GH was sleeping with members. While not good on either front they are very different circumstances IMHO.

Just now, MusicManNJ said:

Would he be suspended for not taking action by a second hand very generalized rumor for an organization he had no authority over? It would be different if it were a person who was reporting an incident that had occurred to them. I think these are two very different things. Certainly today they would he handled differently. That's all I can get out of my spinning head now as well.

Well, I don't know if I wasn't a little hasty. I think he's doing a great job. But the optics are, as usual, bad.

I think the reporter has done a marvelous job in taking down a psychopath and a serial rapist. I'm not sure that her follow-ups have been nearly as measured, but she's been doing them a lot quicker. 

I'm impressed that Acheson answered the phone call instead of hiding behind a lawyer.

Chip

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Speaking of RAMD, I expect Notabando to weigh in soon...

Ook

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

I think these are different. The accusation for Sean was by someone who was directly impacted by the action. She was a victim. For Dan, this was someone sharing a rumor that GH was sleeping with members. While not good on either front they are very different circumstances IMHO.

That's a fair point. And as I've said before, based on what we've heard so far, I'd be OK with reinstating King after the investigation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

this could have been stopped in 2093.

Let's hope it is before then ;-)