The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wasn’t referring to this posts on this as I’m glad it was not forgotten. Just thinking of some later RAMD drama that caused me to leave. At least my crappy memory has Stu involved with flame wars with people outside RAMD

It was the wild, Wild West.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And several of them weren’t on the board then

True... but not sure they ever had a board where he was accountable.

Just now, JMS1995 said:

Maybe one thing we can all agree on --and this is a good lesson to learn from-- once it is out on the internet it is there for good... just depends on how much digging someone wants to do.

It’s pretty easy to search those Usenet groups.  Took me about five minutes to find a rec.arts.marching.drumcorps post from 1996.

1 minute ago, JMS1995 said:

Maybe one thing we can all agree on --and this is a good lesson to learn from-- once it is out on the internet it is there for good... just depends on how much digging someone wants to do.

Not always. Some sites do go away entirely, and aren't archived on the Wayback Machine. There's been useful material I've gone looking for that just doesn't exist anymore.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Not always. Some sites do go away entirely, and aren't archived on the Wayback Machine. There's been useful material I've gone looking for that just doesn't exist anymore.

For instance, I was part of a public book discussion club in 2004-2005. Then the person who ran the site went off to grad school, and all the content was lost. There was a first-class discussion of Catch-22 that taught me so much more about that book than you'd ever find in the likes of Cliffs Notes. Who promoted Peress!?

Just now, mfrontz said:

Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?

There, there.

Just now, mfrontz said:

Just going with the McCarthy vibe. No worries

It's cool. "There, there" is a key line from the book. By Yossarian to Snowden as the latter is dying.

(Which, I learned, is an homage to a World War I play called Journey's End.)

• Like 1