The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

If what you say is true (disqualification of the Bridgemen et al. by the very same DCI would seem to indicate otherwise), them perhaps this is part of the problem and perhaps solution. Maybe it's time to give DCI some real oversight authority. 

Eventually, I believe this topic will become more prominently discussed as a result of Hop's actions.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

They were enforcing the rules established by its member corps. Nothing more or less. Basically you can break the laws but not the rules. 

Because the fox write the rules, not the farmer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

No and shouldn’t. It’s has never been anything put a show scheduling and promotion company for shows. Its only responsiblity is to that of its member organizations and that is fiduciary. 

There is this giant misconception that the dci office is like the ncaa with compliance staff, massive marketing and ticketing etc... and it’s not. The amazingly small team in Indy has very specific roles and trolling the internet for rumors new and old isn’t part of it

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

By that standard, anyone who read RAMD back in 2003 should be suspended from their job pending an investigation. 

Meanwhile...

... by that same standard, the reporter should also be suspended from her job pending investigation, for failing to follow up on the other accusation with the redacted name.

An individual who was not a DCI official... not suspended, but maybe just a gut-check.  DCI is supposed to be "the buck stops here people" since they are the sanctioning body (whatever that means at this point)... if DCI knew, then they should have investigated to some degree.

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I'm not arguing for corps directors and students to have relationships, and I completely agree with your college analogy. I'm just echoing the question "is it forbidden?" and "was it forbidden in 2003?" I'm guessing it wasn't then, and it probably isn't now. Therefore, what should Dan Acheson realistically have done with any information provided by Stuart Rice (credible or not)?

One answer could be that he should have discouraged the practice. Another answer could be that he should propose a regulation that forbids such a practice (to be voted on by corps directors, as they have the say). 

It was such a common practice BITD and I still think, although not wise for numerous reasons. adult is adult. Now a balance of power can be described in many instances If someone uses their balance of power to intimidate one into something they don't want that's another story. Cases can be very different.

Dating authority figures regardless of age difference brings a whole host of possible issues within an organization. 1 very main reason often and I mean often the younger seems to think they have some sense of authority because who they are with. I have seen over the years with young people and even  the very mature in DCA.

Never good, often done in the past.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If what you say is true (disqualification of the Bridgemen et al. by the very same DCI would seem to indicate otherwise), them perhaps this is part of the problem and perhaps solution. Maybe it's time to give DCI some real oversight authority. 

You forget DCI , " IS " the corps

Don't hate the reporter, she's not the one that allowed this environment to thrive. If this kills the Cadets, she won't be the one that kills the Cadets and it really won't be Hop that killed the Cadets, it will be many acts of inaction that allowed this to continue and flourish. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

There is this giant misconception that the dci office is like the ncaa with compliance staff, massive marketing and ticketing etc... and it’s not. The amazingly small team in Indy has very specific roles and trolling the internet for rumors new and old isn’t part of it

This is a good point.  DCI was and has been as you describe.  I think this is now all in question as to what DCI's role should be moving forward, assuming it all moves forward.  I think it is odd, though, that even if not out searching for "dirt" on themselves, they didn't hear things.  The DCI staff is very small... many of the office staff are the ones who travel out to the DCI shows to run them, and in doing this it seems likely they mingle, talk, listen... did any of what we know today [or other things we don't know yet] every pass by their ears?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JMS1995 said:

An individual who was not a DCI official... not suspended, but maybe just a gut-check.  DCI is supposed to be "the buck stops here people" since they are the sanctioning body (whatever that means at this point)... if DCI knew, then they should have investigated to some degree.

This is part of the common misconception. 

DCI is not the "buck stops here" people, the corps are those people by design.

If you read closely the original press release from DCI, it said, IIRC, that Dan's office queried everyone in the DCI offices to see if anyone knew of these charges and, I presume, he found none.  These specific charges.  He didn't state that he asked everyone in Indy if they knew of any rumors from the entire experience in drum corps.

• Like 1