The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

For some reason, the topic of debt doesn't inspire interest from me. Rather, it's  the improprieties of GH and the possibility of collateral damage that's bothering me. 

ok... fair enough. But for the record here, the topic of their finances/ possible debt interested you enough this morning for you to initiate a discussion and questions for me on this topic of YEA finances/ debt, anyway. That said, the current speculation, and the discussion, on the current finances of the Cadets pales to the decades long stories of the victims horrific tales of sex abuse, and on that we agree. HockeyDad.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

For some reason, the topic of debt doesn't inspire interest from me. Rather, it's  the improprieties of GH and the possibility of collateral damage that's bothering me. 

I get that. The thing is, without a budget (as the ex-USBands director claimed), where did the money go? Once that is figured out, they can go from there. A lot of what he said has been repeated in one way or another on the YEA glassdoor section.

I think.. and this might be while you feel that way, is that once the accounting is done and all of that is figured out, there will be enough incoming cash from concerned and supportive people ( I certainly hope!) to make sure they're fiscally sound if they are not. Restoring things like integrity and trust are much, much harder to do.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I get that. The thing is, without a budget (as the ex-USBands director claimed), where did the money go? Once that is figured out, they can go from there. A lot of what he said has been repeated in one way or another on the YEA glassdoor section.

I think.. and this might be while you feel that way, is that once the accounting is done and all of that is figured out, there will be enough incoming cash from concerned and supportive people ( I certainly hope!) to make sure they're fiscally sound if they are not. Restoring things like integrity and trust are much, much harder to do.

More interesting than the financials are the testimonials of those who survived what sounds like the worst boss ever.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

"I do not agree with your business/financial model. YEA! is nearly $1 million in debt and it is because you do not know how to use a simple budget. USBands should have a budget, Performing Ensembles should have a budget. These are simple rules of business. Instead, we fly by the seat of our pants and have our travel credit cards declined while we are on travel because you can’t pay the bills."

If all of this is true, then it's plausible they don't have current financial statements, either, or Hopkins doesn't share them with senior management. If YEA! does have $1,000,000 in debt, what are their net assets? What is their revenue less expenses? There's simply not enough information to evaluate the situation fairly. 

Edited by madisonsmiley

Had a flashback reading one of the comments on the Reddit link. Child of someone I worked with (later one of my bosses) left in mid tour due to a medical condition. When parents went to pick her up no one would come near or talk to them (staff refused to talk). Later found out word was passed that kid left because he/she was “not Cadets material” and he/she could have dealt with the condition “if he/she wanted to” which is not close to the truth. My ex coworker/boss is exMarine so they now how to work as a team and what real honor means. This BS just sticks in my mind over a decade later.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

More interesting than the financials is the testimonials of those who survived what sounds like the worst boss ever.  

He's up there, err. down there. Seemed like several times a year he was soliciting job applications for staff. I figured that meant he was hard to work for but never imagined the problems were this bad, or what qualifications it seems he was really looking for.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He’s referring to the article I posted.  

Ah. I was thinking "good luck" on battling inappropriate comments on Reddit. Heh. 

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

More interesting than the financials are the testimonials of those who survived what sounds like the worst boss ever.  

Yeah. It's why I stated earlier in this thread if I ran YEA, I'd actively encourage the people to organize so that there would be a union and contract in place where they knew they'd always be treated fairly by me, that at this point and after all of the previous garbage, even my promises would be insufficient.

1 minute ago, Peel Paint said:

He's up there, err. down there. Seemed like several times a year he was soliciting job applications for staff. I figured that meant he was hard to work for but never imagined the problems were this bad, or what qualifications it seems he was really looking for.

2009 when someone left GH put up a help wanted post but I forget where. First half was standard job requirements then.... rest was a stream of consciousness blattering about people leaving due to love or some crud like that. Supposedly that is not why the person left and really not acceptable in a business letter

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

2009 when someone left GH put up a help wanted post but I forget where. First half was standard job requirements then.... rest was a stream of consciousness blattering about people leaving due to love or some crud like that. Supposedly that is not why the person left and really not acceptable in a business letter

Yeah that rings a bell with me too. It was bizarre. I remember inferring that he seemed to think employees were expected to forsake life outside of YEA. His job announcements would get copied or posted here too. Now I'd guess his comments then were motivated by jealousy/frustration at one that got away.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 1