The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Wouldn't it have been amazing if the "third client" was George Hopkins? Oh well, can't have everything.

• Haha 3

Looks like Mr. Rice will be making his TV debut on WFMZ.  via twitter

"I just had a nice conversation with Jacci Farris at WFMZ TV in Allentown about the story re: Dan Acheson, Cadets, George Hopkins, YEA!. I understand she will be airing some of our discussion in connection with a statement by DCI coming soon."

Edited by MusicManNJ

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wouldn't it have been amazing if the "third client" was George Hopkins? Oh well, can't have everything.

Well played! Bringing in the hottest news of the day! Made me smile!

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

No finals night threads destroy this 

so far.....

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

So thinking of show themes, maybe Boston can lend them the prop from last year? I’m thinking they could “burn” a Hopkins look alike? Talk about GE!

can you fake that hair?

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Notabando - is that you??!?

That whole quote from ebo reminded me too much of Kenton's "Monotony". Now I have that blasted ostinato in my head. Evil.....

I had to put "Time for a Change" on to cleanse the evil from my mental palate. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Haha 1

Christy leaving was just a matter of time, but that's a huge loss. I would imagine thats going to make some kids rethink where they go to tryout this coming week. How do they fill that position 5 weeks before the season starts, and with a (somewhat) new show to design?

On 4/5/2018 at 10:24 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, let's be honest. Since the Weinstein stuff broke in the fall, the issue has been exploding everywhere. Starting in January isn't really that suspicious.

Yeah, the reporting by Ronan Farrow, Jodi Kantor, and Meghan Twohey were the pebbles that started an avalanche. We live in a different world than we did eight months ago. In the long run, that's a good thing, but the transition is painful.

Speaking of which: Farrow, Kantor, and Twohey just this hour won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service journalism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

And Rice responded: "It has been suggested that I talk with Dan Acheson, child protection agencies, and the police about reporting what my sources have informed me regarding sex offenders in drum corps.  I have left no stone unturned.  In one case, the statute of limitations has expired.  In another, I was told the police could do nothing."

Having finally read the Stuart Rice claims what I came away with was this:

• He says he spoke with Dan at DCI and mentioned that he had "heard" that a staff member was sleeping with a student. 
  • Then he called again and says he was more specific that it was Hopkins of the Cadets who was sleeping with a student.
  • In each case he said he "heard" these claims but had no proof. He did not provide names of the accusers, nor did he provide contact info for Dan to follow up.
  • The accusation he clearly mentioned is "having sex with..."  Not sexual abuse, rape, or other charges.
  • Even though most corps may have a POLICY that staff and admins are not allowed to have romantic/sexual relationships with corps members, we must remember that providing this encounter was consensual and the girl/guy was 18 or over, then it's perfectly legal.  Very inappropriate...but legal.  Dan had to be careful about how he proceeded, and with no proof and no contact info for the accusers there is not much he can do. 
  • As much as I want to see justice served (and in my heart I believe these young ladies who have accused Hopkins), I feel Stuart is trying to stir the pot more so than is needed. He didn't offer us anything back in the days on RAMD, and he didn't offer anything credible to Dan A when he called him.  And why did he NOT call the YEA board?  
  • All of this is unfortunate because in hindsight Stuart Rice -- who I always felt was a super smart guy even when I disagreed with him -- probably heard a very true story, but with no evidence and no accusers willing to talk it simply had no legs.  I believe he was trying to do the right thing and I commend him for that, but DCI needed more.  Stuart is a good guy but I am not sure where all of this goes from here.

I still side with Dan A on this one. I just wish Dan would have remembered that conversation better, but in fairness he gets so many calls about inappropriate behavior or other complaints that it has to be difficult to remember all of them.  And we must remember that the accusation was that "Hopkins was having sex with a student."  Not, Hopkins is having sex with a minor, or Hopkins is raping or molesting or sexually mistreating women of his corps. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3