The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I attended Cadets brass camp yesterday. Had some good conversations with some people on the inside of things. Many involved with the corps right now are taking positive steps to help the C

As I try to fight back tears, since my students are in the room right now as I read all this, all I can say right now is...  Thank God for DCP.  Reading here and seeing this conversation tak

I felt nauseated reading this.  Fear for the activity, this needs to be exposed and dealt with not just at Cadets but everywhere, but I’m so scared it’s going to overwhelm the whole activity.  Sadness

2 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Any truth to the rumors of corps doing asymmetrical drill this year? That's going to be hard on the marching timpani players

My 14-year old son is just now really getting in to DCI.  We were discussing various recent shows, so I quickly pulled up the '76 Blue Devils to get is reaction.  His face when he saw the marching tympani was priceless.  Pretty much the real-world version of :blink:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

What about the painful moments these victims went throughWhat about the sad time for these young women?  What kind of "tough time" do you think they've endured?   We actually think that as fans of the Cadets our pain as outsiders looking in matches the level of pain of the victims of sexual assault?!  Baloney. 

I understand you have not read all 400 pages of this thread, where numerous people have acknowledged in so many words that their Cadet-fan-pain is nothing compared to the abuse-harassment-pain of the victims.

Hopefully, you understand that we can discuss both without negating their relative significance.

55 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I hope this story isn’t overshadowed by the whole “G7” thing I’ve been hearing rumors about.

long dead, especially with the head architect in hiding

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

My 14-year old son is just now really getting in to DCI.  We were discussing various recent shows, so I quickly pulled up the '76 Blue Devils to get is reaction.  His face when he saw the marching tympani was priceless.  Pretty much the real-world version of :blink:

Mike

Hanover Lancers would watch 70s DCI DVDs on bus trips. My favorite quote was the teenager telling his dad “I can’t believed you carried those “. Response was “neither can I my back hurts thinking about it “. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
3 hours ago, frachel said:

Accusers/victims don't file criminal charges. Only a municipal, state or federal attorney can do that.

I should have phrased it makes a complaint. 

50 minutes ago, BigW said:

That's a good question. Potential prosecutors/litigants may find something we'd never think of. Right now... taking things off and flushing them down the memory hole unless they're archived or stored somewhere could be viewed as a coverup or destruction of evidence.

If the DA thought there was incriminating evidence on these videos then a warrant would have been issued to seize it. Honestly, his laptop and smartphone are more likely to be the smoking guns.

39 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

I don't mean to slide OT... but since you mentioned this I found a really fine Doctoral abstract on the subject online. Mike Boo is even involved as a source. Well worth perusing, even for a bit.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=osu1461167753&disposition=inline

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, wallace said:

If the DA thought there was incriminating evidence on these videos then a warrant would have been issued to seize it. Honestly, his laptop and smartphone are more likely to be the smoking guns.

They may not have gotten that far. It would still be prudent to have them archived and retained, even if taken off the site. Otherwise there could be accusations of some kind of a coverup.

Yes, there may be nothing there. However, in this situation one needs to take all precautions and be prudent.

Edited by BigW
  • Toby locked this topic