The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

"The good news is, even without the company car and expense account, likely millionaire George Hopkins has over 15,000 Facebook friends to couch surf. (Of course, that's called *sarcasm*.)"

-Stuart Evan Rice (source: https://twitter.com/SEvanRice/status/987040000930856961)

"...likely millionaire..."

So, now this has gone beyond GH simply being lecherous.  Now he's RICH and lecherous.

Director's Social class warfare in drum corps.  Great.  Thanks for that.

What's next, all directors must be poor and chaste to gain entry to the DCI competition field?

Fact: at a national savings rate of less than 5%, even if Hop paid himself $175,000/year for 30 years (didn't happen) he'd "likely" have accumulated about a quarter-million dollars, plus or minus.

Embellishment seems to be a hallmark of Mr. Rice's and I hope the reporter takes that into account when publishing his comments.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"The good news is, even without the company car and expense account, likely millionaire George Hopkins has over 15,000 Facebook friends to couch surf. (Of course, that's called *sarcasm*.)"

-Stuart Evan Rice (source: https://twitter.com/SEvanRice/status/987040000930856961)

So, now this has gone beyond GH simply being lecherous.  Now he's RICH and lecherous.

What's next, all directors must be poor and chaste to gain entry to the DCI competition field?

Fact: at a national savings rate of less than 5%, even if Hop paid himself $175,000/year for 30 years (didn't happen) he'd "likely" have accumulated about a quarter-million dollars, plus or minus.

Embellishment seems to be a hallmark of Mr. Rice's and I hope the reporter takes that into account when publishing his comments.

Not to take Hop's side on this ( and of course neither Rice's ), but one can be what is called " a millionaire " and be making even less than $50,000 a year on a job ( not $175,000 yr) How so ? Thru real estate acquisitions, investments, inheritances, winning a lottery, insurance proceeds,, gambling proceeds, hobby income, thru marriage, Art work sales,  Collectibles sales, Patents & Inventions, etc and any other number of ways. So your exercise in calculating one's  annual salary income from a job alone and stating that such salary could not allow one to become " a millionaire " is by no means how this is solely determined. Especially to the people that seem most interested in it..... the IRS. That said, its true, Rice's comment of Hop alleged " millionaire " status was dripping with class envy it would appear, as it is irrelevant to the Hopkins charges... then or now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Reading the section about early history, the document makes if seem like timpani first came along in 1972, when DCI started. They were around prior to that. We used them in Garfield in 1970, and many other corps used them in the late 60's before that. BAC, SCV, Kilties, St Joe's, Des Plaines, and Anaheim had them in 69, for example. BAC used bells through most of the 69 season, though not at VFW Nats, where they were no permitted. By the start of DCI, most of the top level corps had already been using timpani for a couple of years.

The document is pretty accurate, though, besides that. 

Sunnrisers started with Timpani\s in 67,

On 4/21/2018 at 9:40 AM, Fran Haring said:

Maybe there could be a separate "suggest a vanity plate for Hop's car" thread. :tongue:

Too soon.  :41_pensive:

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I hate to say this but...a quiet last 48 hours. maybe a breather

Maybe turning the corner. Expect some announcements from the new YEA board this week on additional organizational updates and support for the impacted and we have a joint camp (Cadets/C2) to look forward to as well. 

15 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

These countries do not have extradition treaties with the US.

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

So, you combine that list with countries that do not require a visa to visit, and that would be my guess of places to start looking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_United_States_citizens

I would go with Micronesia. They speak English and there is no limit to the length of time US citizens can stay there. I feel like Jason Bourne.

After the 2016 show, there’s no way the Vatican is going to let him in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, garfield said:

IIRC, many comments over the years from knowledgeable people on DCP have stated his salary was in line with comparably sized/scaled non-profits. The trick SER is using is pretty typical. To the average bloke, it's a lot of money and appears excessive.

The one thing that's been stressed in some circles of late is that DCI World Class is no longer a "Mom and Pop" activity. You can't run one of these corps as a hobby. SER seems to be stuck in a nostalgic past. Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to the gritty realities and make it happen anyway. It might be interesting to see the salaries of the other Directors to get a feel for the truth here, but that's another thread, I guess.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigW said:

IIRC, many comments over the years from knowledgeable people on DCP have stated his salary was in line with comparably sized/scaled non-profits. The trick SER is using is pretty typical. To the average bloke, it's a lot of money and appears excessive.

The one thing that's been stressed in some circles of late is that DCI World Class is no longer a "Mom and Pop" activity. You can't run one of these corps as a hobby. SER seems to be stuck in a nostalgic past. Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to the gritty realities and make it happen anyway. It might be interesting to see the salaries of the other Directors to get a feel for the truth here, but that's another thread, I guess.

JMO

1st we haven't been a Mom and Pop activity for decades now. The corps that realized this have succeeded competitively, many have made mistakes and ruled with just heat ( which is not bad ) but with no head.

With that said, Many of us come from a time when directors made nothing and a staff person, which were very few were lucky if they got paid BUT maybe got gas money. Corps also didn't have to pay much for a school or a rehearsal site, etc etc. To run a corps today on any scale requires an incredible amount of time and often without praise. Truly great and successful directors IMO get the money they deserve and wish it ran through the entire activity. Now if you are running a corps PLUS many other programs this even more difficult.

So just to add what you have said YES you are right, Nostalgia is great and even necessary BUT IMO not to run a corps of today on many fronts.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, garfield said:

Another reason while I think Twitter is a waste of heartbeats. And snotty comments always makes someone more believable *sarcasm*

12 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, I read Rice's argument there, flawed as he may be about the actual figures, as being not class warfare but pushback against anyone who says they feel sorry for Hopkins. His salary was three times the median for Pennsylvania, and now it will seem to some observers that he was being rewarded for being a monster.

Still, Aaron Sorkin hears you.