The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Seems to me that there are some band judges who participate in this forum and could apply to be part of that advisory council.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe in the beginning people didn't know, but word was spreading in the late 90's

Oh for sure, I can't tell you the number of people I have had this discussion with for decades already that went through the process. ( so to speak )

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, no doubt many of them knew a lot about the long work hours, constant crises, and some of the unique behaviors of the boss.  I just would not go so far as to contend they knew "exactly" what they were in for ahead of time.

Well exactly and what one wants to admit, even to themselves especially initially can be quite different.

I  have had to have many discussions over the years with people about to work at corps, while they were there and unfortunately AFTER. Seen it all. You can be right about " some" especially early on BUT also know and it's not a put-down, getting an offer from ANY top corps no matter what the situation is very attractive and we all go into places with hope

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well exactly and what one wants to admit, even to themselves especially initially can be quite different.

I  have had to have many discussions over the years with people about to work at corps, while they were there and unfortunately AFTER. Seen it all. You can be right about " some" especially early on BUT also know and it's not a put-down, getting an offer from ANY top corps no matter what the situation is very attractive and we all go into places with hope

Probably worth noting that many jobs within YEA were not teaching or design jobs. There are a lot of folks that took to YEA as a passion job from the outside. They worked in other types of jobs and industries but found an opportunity to give back by eventually joining. And going to work within the marching arts was appealing. Those people would NOT have been as well connected to the network to have experienced the chatter and feedback that you and your peers had in advance.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, no doubt many of them knew a lot about the long work hours, constant crises, and some of the unique behaviors of the boss.  I just would not go so far as to contend they knew "exactly" what they were in for ahead of time.

agreed. they may have known the work environment was less than pleasant, but they didn't know about sexual abuse

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. they may have known the work environment was less than pleasant, but they didn't know about sexual abuse

the abuse can be quite different  as to knowing what they were getting into which can bring things back, especially those who worked closely with GH, what they knew when and THIS opens things up too many people in many different places

21 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Probably worth noting that many jobs within YEA were not teaching or design jobs. There are a lot of folks that took to YEA as a passion job from the outside. They worked in other types of jobs and industries but found an opportunity to give back by eventually joining. And going to work within the marching arts was appealing. Those people would NOT have been as well connected to the network to have experienced the chatter and feedback that you and your peers had in advance.

hmmm maybe in some cases

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

Those people would NOT have been as well connected to the network to have experienced the chatter and feedback that you and your peers had in advance.

Yes, and some of us still tried to warn them, but they found out the hard way. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

I'm curious 

a lot of people say this is the tip of the iceberg so how bad is the problem, what are the numbers and what are they really talking about?

are they saying that to try and mitigate the situation, act like an insider or because it's a huge problem? 

In the past 35 years plus, I've known of three issues (one unconfirmed);  Hoppy, the other guy no longer in DCI that we all know about but can't talk about (which I found out about because of the Hoppy thing), then way back in the early 80s a top staffer didn't return from a corps, no explanation from staff just gone. There were rumors in the corps that he dated and age out and got bounced so at least that corps in the 80's didn't put up with it

so let's put some numbers on this so I have a context

11 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I'm curious 

a lot of people say this is the tip of the iceberg so how bad is the problem, what are the numbers and what are they really talking about?

are they saying that to try and mitigate the situation, act like an insider or because it's a huge problem? 

In the past 35 years plus, I've known of three issues (one unconfirmed);  Hoppy, the other guy no longer in DCI that we all know about but can't talk about (which I found out about because of the Hoppy thing), then way back in the early 80s a top staffer didn't return from a corps, no explanation from staff just gone. There were rumors in the corps that he dated and age out and got bounced so at least that corps in the 80's didn't put up with it

so let's put some numbers on this so I have a context

There is stuff we don't know that we don't know.

How much is TBD